Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish : Cost of Fencing?

What sort of costs might be expected for getting a half-dead front garden hedge, in outer SW London, replaced with a fence or wall, about waist height. Not a few wires strung along, not diamond-mesh wire.

Length can be taken as ten metres; neither end meets anything solid.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2017 20:44, JoeJoe wrote:

I did ours myself - around 40m in total a few years ago. Replaced plenty
of big bushes and trees. A real workout to dig through the roots.

If digging out shrubs/roots yourself by hand consider buying a mattock

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Groun
d+Working+Tools/sd2822/Roughneck+Mattock+with+Fibreglass+Handle/p20759

Remember to sharpen the blades first

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2017 21:14, alan_m wrote:
On 28/09/2017 20:44, JoeJoe wrote:

I did ours myself - around 40m in total a few years ago. Replaced
plenty of big bushes and trees. A real workout to dig through the roots.

If digging out shrubs/roots yourself by hand consider buying a mattock

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Groun
d+Working+Tools/sd2822/Roughneck+Mattock+with+Fibreglass+Handle/p20759

I did...

And one of these is a must as well:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...e-digger/35835
(can be had for a lot less if only going to use once)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
What sort of costs might be expected for getting a half-dead front
garden hedge, in outer SW London, replaced with a fence or wall, about
waist height. Not a few wires strung along, not diamond-mesh wire.

Length can be taken as ten metres; neither end meets anything solid.

You need to decide what you want. The difference in cost between a decent
brick wall and a fence is enormous.

A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house, a
half wall and railings would be the way to go.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 September 2017 00:29:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
I wrote:
What sort of costs might be expected for getting a half-dead front
garden hedge, in outer SW London, replaced with a fence or wall, about
waist height. Not a few wires strung along, not diamond-mesh wire.

Length can be taken as ten metres; neither end meets anything solid.

You need to decide what you want. The difference in cost between a decent
brick wall and a fence is enormous.

That is why I am asking about costs; that decides what is wanted. At the present stage, no other information is of any use at all.

A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house, a
half wall and railings would be the way to go.

It's not a house. This is a respectable road, with very mixed occupancy; garden fronts in sight from here include flat, wooden palings, wooden planks, various low, middle, and high brick, some including a topping of vegetation, all in various states of maintenance - and our decrepit hedge. Wooden railings, with a thin flower-bed behind would be adequate. There is no security aspect; there has always been a gap at one end.

H'mmm - the cheapest option would I suppose be to saw the hedge down at low-level and just plant low-growing stuff.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail. |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house,
a half wall and railings would be the way to go.

It's not a house. This is a respectable road, with very mixed
occupancy; garden fronts in sight from here include flat, wooden
palings, wooden planks, various low, middle, and high brick, some
including a topping of vegetation, all in various states of maintenance
- and our decrepit hedge. Wooden railings, with a thin flower-bed
behind would be adequate. There is no security aspect; there has always
been a gap at one end.

H'mmm - the cheapest option would I suppose be to saw the hedge down at
low-level and just plant low-growing stuff.

Sounds like an old street where people have just gone for the option which
suited them at the time

Personally, I'd go back to what the property was built with. A decent wall
etc will add to the value in most cases.

Very difficult to give any guide prices as it depends on what you choose.
Easy enough to price up a ready made fence using stock panels.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
What sort of costs might be expected for getting a half-dead front
garden hedge, in outer SW London, replaced with a fence or wall, about
waist height. Not a few wires strung along, not diamond-mesh wire.

Length can be taken as ten metres; neither end meets anything solid.

You need to decide what you want. The difference in cost between a decent
brick wall and a fence is enormous.

A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house, a
half wall and railings would be the way to go.

But not totalling more than 1 metre in height without planning
permission
(https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls)

Why do you say a fence in a front garden isn't going to look good?
Decent fences, particularly with quality vertical boards, can look very
good.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 September 2017 11:31:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
I wrote:
A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house,
a half wall and railings would be the way to go.

It's not a house. This is a respectable road, with very mixed
occupancy; garden fronts in sight from here include flat, wooden
palings, wooden planks, various low, middle, and high brick, some
including a topping of vegetation, all in various states of maintenance
- and our decrepit hedge. Wooden railings, with a thin flower-bed
behind would be adequate. There is no security aspect; there has always
been a gap at one end.

H'mmm - the cheapest option would I suppose be to saw the hedge down at
low-level and just plant low-growing stuff.

Sounds like an old street where people have just gone for the option which
suited them at the time

The street is about a century and a half old. The properties are of all ages since that, and of widely different values. This property dates from 1980; two opposite are somewhat younger

Personally, I'd go back to what the property was built with. A decent wall
etc will add to the value in most cases.

The property was built with the hedge which is now dying.

Very difficult to give any guide prices as it depends on what you choose.
Easy enough to price up a ready made fence using stock panels.

I don't any exact figures; just a probable ballpark value for the major classes of boundary, to guide the residents.

--
SL

fencing cost rosebud Home Repair 10 April 7th 06 11:58 PM
fencing cost rosebud Home Repair 12 April 6th 06 07:53 PM
Surface Plate Cost/Shipping Cost [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 06 10:19 PM
Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber? Phil Woodworking 82 August 28th 05 05:32 AM
Materials Cost Vs Labour Cost? Jim B Home Repair 10 June 14th 05 08:11 AM