Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water and electric sharing floor joist notches ?

Just thought I'd check-
there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through,
there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there?

But ethernet cables would have to be about 6 inches away wouldnt they?

I dont want to cut any unnecessary holes in the joists

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 16:07, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Just thought I'd check-
there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through,
there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there?

Can't see any problem with a plastic waste pipe...

But ethernet cables would have to be about 6 inches away wouldnt they?

2" is adequate (and in reality ethernet would not care even if they were
wound round them, although if using them for analogue voice the
separation becomes more important)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 27/09/2017 16:07, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Just thought I'd check-
there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through,
there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there?

Can't see any problem with a plastic waste pipe...

But ethernet cables would have to be about 6 inches away wouldnt they?

2" is adequate (and in reality ethernet would not care even if they were
wound round them, although if using them for analogue voice the
separation becomes more important)

Yes, the spacing of data wires from mains was added to the wiring
regs at the same time data transmission technology advanced to not
be susceptable to mains interference...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 27/09/2017 16:07, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Just thought I'd check-
there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through,
there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there?

Can't see any problem with a plastic waste pipe...

But ethernet cables would have to be about 6 inches away wouldnt they?

2" is adequate (and in reality ethernet would not care even if they were
wound round them, although if using them for analogue voice the
separation becomes more important)

--
Cheers,

John.

Hi John

What difference does it make whether the pipe is waste or mains
water if it is carrying water?

My infamous building inspector wanted 50mm between all pipes and
cables. The pipe material was irrelevant in his requirement. Not
to say he was right of course.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2017 22:14, TheChief wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 27/09/2017 16:07, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Just thought I'd check-
there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through,
there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there?

Can't see any problem with a plastic waste pipe...

But ethernet cables would have to be about 6 inches away wouldnt they?

2" is adequate (and in reality ethernet would not care even if they were
wound round them, although if using them for analogue voice the
separation becomes more important)

Hi John

What difference does it make whether the pipe is waste or mains
water if it is carrying water?

Only that a copper hot water pipe if *in contact* with a PVC insulated
cable could heat it to a significant proportion of its maximum permitted
sustained conductor temperature. A plastic waste water pipe is less
likely to do that.