Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pencil Sharpener

Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

My son, raised in s different part of the country, calls it a pencil parer and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a pencil topper.

Any other names out there ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Police probably call it an offensive weapon.
Apparently its even frowned upon carrying a screwdriver around with you
these days.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"fred" wrote in message
Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to
sharpen a pencil.

My son, raised in s different part of the country, calls it a pencil parer
and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a
pencil topper.

Any other names out there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

That's the only name I've heard it called

My son, raised in s different part of the country, calls it a pencil parer

nope, never heard the term, but google has.

and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a pencil topper.

A pencil topper, I'd say was either one of those wedge shaped erasers,
or those "novelty" plastic animal/gonk/why things.

Wikip says parer and topper and both Irish terms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 00:59:03 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

Isn't that a knife?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

fred wrote:

small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

Isn't that a knife?

It was when I was at primary school; we had to go up to the teacher's
desk to use a wood handled stanley knive, as far as I recall nobody died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 September 2017 08:59:09 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

My son, raised in s different part of the country, calls it a pencil parer and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a pencil topper.

Any other names out there ?

At school we had this:-
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catal...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Mark wrote:

fred wrote:

small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

Isn't that a knife?

It was when I was at primary school; we had to go up to the teacher's
desk to use a wood handled stanley knive, as far as I recall nobody died.

Crikey. Even 'we' had a rotary pencil sharpener in every classroom.

Although the woodwork teacher impressed by using a chisel.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to
sharpen a pencil.

Isn't that a knife?

Not when it's the small rectangular thing you stick the end
of the pencil into, or the other bigger thing you stick the
end of the pencil into and turn the handle on the side of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:09:01 +0100, Andy Burns
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Mark wrote:

fred wrote:

small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

Isn't that a knife?

It was when I was at primary school; we had to go up to the teacher's
desk to use a wood handled stanley knive, as far as I recall nobody died.

Knives were compulsory at ours.

In the Juniors, the first thing we made in Woodwork was a balsa
pipe-rack for our dads. (This is un-PC on several levels). We used a
modeling knife to whittle the indentations in the base for the pipe
bowls.

In High school all the boys in my class made a dagger (The girls had
to do cookery or learning about periods, IIRC)
officially it was a paper-knife but any passing Samurai would have
been impressed in how we sharpened and honed those blades.

To his credit, the teacher did blunt some of the finer examples on the
grind-stone before we could take them home.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quenching was a great demonstration of how to make the edges hard.

I suppose its in the end all about responsibility. the guy who was walking
along with his javelin point forwards in a crowded field of children was a
moron, and I had to suffer a hole in my leg because of it.
Brian

--
----- -