Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Prostate Examination

On 25/09/2017 20:24, Nick wrote:
On 24/09/2017 20:54, Tim+ wrote:
Cursitor Doom Wrote in message:

Anyone know if doctors can DIY their own prostate exam? Obviously if
they
can, the rest of us can learn to do it for ourselves and save the yearly
appointment (we're all busy people after all).

As someone who has performed rectal examinations, I would say no.
Â* Unless you've got the arms of a gibbon and extraordinary
Â* flexibility, you're not going to be able to do an adequate
Â* physical examination.

Definitely a job to "outsource".

If you are so squeamish why become a doctor. (assuming that's what you
were and not a sex worker.)

Tim can speak for himself, but I didn't read his remarks as suggesting
he was at all squeamish about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2017 11:01, GB wrote:

Google it. The *current* view is that it used to lead to unneccessary
surgery leading to little or no net benefit. The best option is MRI
which can pick up the more dangerous forms which are often
inaccessible. But that of course costs an arm and a leg.

The PSA test doesn't lead to unnecessary surgery. That arises from what
people do with the results.

FFS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2017 14:35, Lobster wrote:
newshound grunted in
o.uk:

On 25/09/2017 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Why not a PSA Test?

PSA discovered mine. The finger test did not reveal anything - but
the biopsy did. I had no symptoms. It was caught early due to me just
asking for a PSA Test after talking to a friend who had been through
the problem. I believe all men should have the PSA test every year.
Ask your GP. Don't wait for symtoms.

Google it. The *current* view is that it used to lead to unneccessary
surgery leading to little or no net benefit.

It's not just that, the unnecessary surgery is very likely to cause
impotence and incontinence.

That's what I mean by *net* benefit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2017 20:42, GB wrote:
On 25/09/2017 20:24, Nick wrote:
On 24/09/2017 20:54, Tim+ wrote:
Cursitor Doom Wrote in message:

Anyone know if doctors can DIY their own prostate exam? Obviously if
they
can, the rest of us can learn to do it for ourselves and save the
yearly
appointment (we're all busy people after all).

As someone who has performed rectal examinations, I would say no.
Â* Unless you've got the arms of a gibbon and extraordinary
Â* flexibility, you're not going to be able to do an adequate
Â* physical examination.

Definitely a job to "outsource".

If you are so squeamish why become a doctor. (assuming that's what you
were and not a sex worker.)

Tim can speak for himself, but I didn't read his remarks as suggesting
he was at all squeamish about it.

Ah yes, I thought by outsource he meant one doctor shifting the task
onto another

On rereading I see he actually just meant not a diy task.

I was letting my own personal experience cloud my judgement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:10:32 +0100, Nick wrote:

Ah yes, I thought by outsource he meant one doctor shifting the task
onto another

On rereading I see he actually just meant not a diy task.

I was letting my own personal experience cloud my judgement.

Good God!!

Someone actually admitting they'd made a mistake on Usenet!!