Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old TVs

I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/17 22:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Start with a computer... Every problem can be fixed by throwing a
computer at it now
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think back also. The Dual standard black and white tv with its bowden
cable operated swtiches for IFand timebase and the of course the need to
make eht transformers that did not grumble too much at the two different
frequencies and chuck out too much eht so the picture shrank.
AC coupled videos so no blacks etc.

Not sure about the quality. Most of the early crt colour sets really needed
a live in engineer, hence the rental market.
Things were always burning up or just dying and the power consumption on
many was high.

I can recall with fondness working in a factory making these sets and
marvelling at over and over again it was the women who could do the best and
fastest job of purity and convergence on them.It was seemingly black magic
of some sort, as many of us blokes never managed to get them as good.
Those times are of course long gone now.
You ask how do modern tvs work. Basically modern tvs are really just
computers running software with integrated parts like software defined
receivers decoding chips and software to configure it all. Indeed I believe
a lot of tvs these days use a modified version of the Android phone
operating system.
One annoyance these days, particularly with older people is that they take
a long time to get themselves up and running. We of course, used to good old
valves marvelled at the early transistor tvs coming on almost instantly, but
now they can take up to a minute, and people are impatient with them and
screw things up by jabbing remot buttons inappropriately and the saying the
tv does not work. Toshiba are a particular problem as they also use wireless
tech for the remote so it works from the next room and people now have so
many remotes for so many things they tend to use the wrong one and all sorts
of things happen!
LCD and other flat screens tend to be of several types The basic lcd screen
is a multi layer lcd, that works a bit like a Polaroid filter so light
cannot get through it if its polarisation is opposite to a fixed one.
However you need several for the colours and of course some form of back
light. There are lots of variations on this theme, and now of course they
are starting to use leds themselves as pixels too, not just as backlights.
Viewing angle can be an issue when you are dealing with polarised light of
course, but the clever trouser types seem to be doing very well at
mitigating this problem now.
Most of the driving of such displays is done on a matrix of horizontal and
vertical address lines but a chip handles all of this stuff for you and also
the correction of the very non linear law of the display.

I could write an essay on all of this stuff and be accused of over
simplifying, so if you really want to know there are lots of technical books
around that will probably send you to the funny farm. good luck
Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And then if you are over a certain age you have to press the buttons really
hard on the remote if you don't get the response you need.........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

Two traditions. Crap speakers and most of what they receive is utter
crap.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/17 22:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Then later, the insides of the 70s TV used for this project.

Building a Fallout Style Computer - Retrofuturism!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2spa2O2DQ

Lots of mechanical engineering to hold that TV together with access and
serviceability for base level components, leaving enough air space for
ventilation. Still an admirable part count, that felt something had
indeed been purchased when the readies were handed over.

Now it's the specific arrangement of electrons inside memory devices and
things hidden as propriety secret in non-disclosure that extracts the
dosh next to the colour of the case and, of course, the brand name. The
outside arrangement of components and modules is lightweight and
inexpensively boring, its the firmware that excites and gives it life.

Yup, it's a computer ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Badly! Poor picture quality, totally crap sound, random switch off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/09/17 22:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Start with a computer... Every problem can be fixed by throwing a
computer at it now

I thought it was all problems can be created with a computer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2017 22:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

getting electrocuted ?.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/17 15:26, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I often think back to TV sets of old. The joy of dismantling one!

The quality of the Turret Tuner!

The complexity of the dual standard chassis with long solenoid operated
switches.

The hinge out Convergence Control Panels.

Later FST TVs - amazing tubes and scanning technology.

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

Â*Â* Badly! Poor picture quality, totally crap sound, random switch off

Rubbish. Much better picture quality, especially in HD, no pincushion
or barrel distortion, no colour registration problems, no focus
problems.

Indeed. And with enough spend on the LCD, great color and viewing angle.
And often faster reponse to scene change.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:15:44 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which weighed
A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which weighed
A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

But go back further to the 1950s and the sound was horrid. When I got my current 50s set I didn't expect middling sound, but it's worse than I thought it would be.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which
weighed A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

When our 8 year old Samsung packed in I took it apart looking for the
obvious. There was nothing obvious, I know nothing about tellys.
I put it outside for the pikey scrap men, they did not pick it up.
So, I smashed it up and put the bits in the wheelie bin. The speakers were
like postage stamps.
There were these thin tubes behind the screen, so I guess that one of them
had failed. Thumping the screen made it work for a very short while.
That lump of junk cost £800.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which weighed
A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

But go back further to the 1950s and the sound was horrid. When I got my
current 50s set I didn't expect middling sound, but it's worse than I
thought it would be.

405 line (VHF) sound was AM, so rather more difficult to design a decent
receiver for. Lucky to get to even 10kHz. But that didn't stop the makers
using the cheapest possible power amp and indifferent speakers too.

With modern sets, it's the fashion of having the front all screen - so no
room for forward facing speakers. But then they want to sell you a 'sound
bar' or other such overpriced rubbish.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Rubbish. Much better picture quality, especially in HD, no pincushion
or barrel distortion, no colour registration problems, no focus
problems.

I've yet to see any LCD which can match a really good CRT for flesh tones.

But don't know if a oLED can - I suspect not either.

Of course very few indeed have ever seen TV on a Grade 1 monitor.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 18:41:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which weighed
A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

But go back further to the 1950s and the sound was horrid. When I got my
current 50s set I didn't expect middling sound, but it's worse than I
thought it would be.

405 line (VHF) sound was AM, so rather more difficult to design a decent
receiver for. Lucky to get to even 10kHz. But that didn't stop the makers
using the cheapest possible power amp and indifferent speakers too.

The TV in question was a somewhat budget one, just nasty in the sound department.

With modern sets, it's the fashion of having the front all screen - so no
room for forward facing speakers. But then they want to sell you a 'sound
bar' or other such overpriced rubbish.

I once opened an LCD monitor that claimed to have built in stereo sound to find a pair of 1" speakers on the back! I doubt it put out more than 50mW. Good enough for bleeps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 17:44:35 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

snip

When our 8 year old Samsung packed in I took it apart looking for the
obvious.

Like bulging caps or short / open circuit diodes on the PSU board (I
did one yesterday). ;-)

There was nothing obvious, I know nothing about tellys.

You don't really need to know much about tellys these days (as you
probably couldn't do much d-i-y with the LSI / logic boards) but often
the more basic bits mentioned above.

I put it outside for the pikey scrap men, they did not pick it up.

Because it contains little in the way of valuable 'scrap'.

So, I smashed it up and put the bits in the wheelie bin.

There is a skip for such things at your local recycling centre. ;-(

The speakers were
like postage stamps.

Yup ... and why most people have sound bars or pipe their TV sound
though their HiFi or other speakers.

There were these thin tubes behind the screen, so I guess that one of them
had failed.

If it had I think you would have had a picture but fading brightness
from one side to the other.

Thumping the screen made it work for a very short while.

Could have been a dry joint ... ?

That lump of junk cost £800.

I have a large plasma monitor up on the bedroom wall that must have
cost someone a few quid when new. Whilst it still works, the top of
the screen has some noise on it but it still makes a good panel
heater. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 23:48:36 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

snip

Every problem can be fixed by throwing a
computer at it now

I've seen a few damaged screens in my time but not one *fixed* by
someone throwing a computer at it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 17:44:35 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

snip

When our 8 year old Samsung packed in I took it apart looking for the
obvious.

Like bulging caps or short / open circuit diodes on the PSU board (I
did one yesterday). ;-)

Nope. I have little idea of what they look like. My ancient soldering iron
is like a poker, even though I've filed the tip down. I did managed to fix
and solder back a micro switch in a car key fob with it though.

There was nothing obvious, I know nothing about tellys.

You don't really need to know much about tellys these days (as you
probably couldn't do much d-i-y with the LSI / logic boards) but often
the more basic bits mentioned above.

I put it outside for the pikey scrap men, they did not pick it up.

Because it contains little in the way of valuable 'scrap'.

They did take away a lawn mower that was 99% plastic a few years ago.

So, I smashed it up and put the bits in the wheelie bin.

There is a skip for such things at your local recycling centre. ;-(

Yeah.

The speakers were
like postage stamps.

Yup ... and why most people have sound bars or pipe their TV sound
though their HiFi or other speakers.

We use 5.1 speakers or something. I watch very little telly.

There were these thin tubes behind the screen, so I guess that one
of them had failed.

If it had I think you would have had a picture but fading brightness
from one side to the other.

It looked like several tins of paint had been chucked at the screen.

Thumping the screen made it work for a very short while.

Could have been a dry joint ... ?

I don't do dope.

That lump of junk cost £800.

I have a large plasma monitor up on the bedroom wall that must have
cost someone a few quid when new. Whilst it still works, the top of
the screen has some noise on it but it still makes a good panel
heater. ;-)

The last thing I need on the bedroom wall is a huge telly. The Incredible
Sleeping Dog would not like it.
Wife has a telly in the bedroom and tells me that the Freeview channels are
okay and do not need updating. This saves me RTFM.
I have never watched this telly.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

who cares? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 21:04:22 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

snip

My ancient soldering iron
is like a poker, even though I've filed the tip down. I did managed to fix
and solder back a micro switch in a car key fob with it though.

Well that was good going, considering.

snip

They did take away a lawn mower that was 99% plastic a few years ago.

I wouldn't have said as much as that. The motor would be worth a few
quid (as a 'scrap motor', I got £5 for one out of garden shredder the
other day) and you also have the blade and mount etc. You could get
scrap money for the PCB's out of a TV but they aren't very big or very
high 'value' (compared with PC motherboards with RAM and CPU etc).

snip

If it had I think you would have had a picture but fading brightness
from one side to the other.

It looked like several tins of paint had been chucked at the screen.

That sounds like impact damage to the LCD itself?

snip

I have a large plasma monitor up on the bedroom wall that must have
cost someone a few quid when new. Whilst it still works, the top of
the screen has some noise on it but it still makes a good panel
heater. ;-)

The last thing I need on the bedroom wall is a huge telly.

Handy for playing games. ;-)

Sleeping Dog would not like it.

;-)

Wife has a telly in the bedroom and tells me that the Freeview channels are
okay and do not need updating.

It normally nags you when it needs doing (the TV, not the Mrs). ;-)

This saves me RTFM.

Menu, setup, re-scan ...

I have never watched this telly.

We have a smaller LCD TV in the bedroom but it's used more as a PC
monitor when I'm testing / working on PC's.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:10:58 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had.

Don't use the TV's own sound system. Take the line out or optical and
feed into a decent sound system.

Normal sound is from a PC speaker system bought for this job, if I want
better sound, then the Humax feeds into the Amplifier (called HiFi
back in the 1970s).

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 01:28:09 +0100, Davey
wrote:

Don't use the TV's own sound system. Take the line out or optical and
feed into a decent sound system.

Normal sound is from a PC speaker system bought for this job, if I want
better sound, then the Humax feeds into the Amplifier (called HiFi
back in the 1970s).

That brings up awful images of TV game shows from that era.
A couple would be wheeled on and the host would ask them a few
questions to settle them down, how many Kids, how long they had been
married etc.
Usually there was a question about what hobbys they had and the
cardigan wearing bloke would reply "HIFI" puffing his chest out as
if this was on par with sending rockets into orbit.
when in reality he had just bought a cheap stereo system in Woolworths
and some Val Doonican records.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in newspml99$334$1
@dont-email.me:

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

who cares? .....

I know what you mean. Full of tiny things that we don't understand as well.

After the Apocolypse - we won't be able to recreate them! May manage a
Baird TV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
When our 8 year old Samsung packed in I took it apart looking for the
obvious.

Like bulging caps or short / open circuit diodes on the PSU board (I
did one yesterday). ;-)

I had a Samsung TV which died just out of warranty with an obvious PS
fault. But oddly, not a cap. With a lack of a schematic, I bought a used
PS board off Ebay which got it going again.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had.

Don't use the TV's own sound system. Take the line out or optical and
feed into a decent sound system.

But why should you have to? It's rather like saying take video from it and
feed to a decent monitor.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Early TVs had the problem of the speaker magnet interfering with the
cathode rays, so the speaker was placed on one side or the other right
at the back of the cube shaped cabinet. I think it could positioned on
the right or the left side so it wouldn't be against the wall. I suppose
the TV engineer would ensure it was on the correct side if he could be
bothered, at the same time as fitting the right coils for the TV
channels (unless this was done back at the shop).

You can make speakers with zero external magnetic field. But this may cost
slightly more than a basic speaker, so not suitable for a TV.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Rubbish. Much better picture quality, especially in HD, no pincushion
or barrel distortion, no colour registration problems, no focus
problems.

I've yet to see any LCD which can match a really good CRT for flesh tones.

But don't know if a oLED can - I suspect not either.

Of course very few indeed have ever seen TV on a Grade 1 monitor.

Agreed. having been involved in the industry for some years I've yet to
see a modern YV with decent resolution adequate brightness good near
black level performance or sound quality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/17 09:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in newspml99$334$1
@dont-email.me:

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

who cares? .....

I know what you mean. Full of tiny things that we don't understand as well.

After the Apocolypse - we won't be able to recreate them! May manage a
Baird TV

I could probably manage to design a z80, given time.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had. We had a Pye, I believe, with a 6" loudspeaker, which weighed
A LOT. I don't see that on modern skinny units.

But go back further to the 1950s and the sound was horrid. When I got my
current 50s set I didn't expect middling sound, but it's worse than I
thought it would be.

405 line (VHF) sound was AM, so rather more difficult to design a decent
receiver for. Lucky to get to even 10kHz. But that didn't stop the makers
using the cheapest possible power amp and indifferent speakers too.

With modern sets, it's the fashion of having the front all screen - so no
room for forward facing speakers. But then they want to sell you a 'sound
bar' or other such overpriced rubbish.

405 line TRF sets had more bandwidth achievable with staggered tuning
set up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Rubbish. Much better picture quality, especially in HD, no pincushion
or barrel distortion, no colour registration problems, no focus
problems.

I've yet to see any LCD which can match a really good CRT for flesh tones.

But don't know if a oLED can - I suspect not either.

Of course very few indeed have ever seen TV on a Grade 1 monitor.

Agreed. having been involved in the industry for some years I've yet to
see a modern YV with decent resolution adequate brightness good near
black level performance or sound quality.

Yes. I'm retired now, but a few years on location drama shot on video -
even after tape days - the person racking the camera stuck with a Grade 1
CRT, despite LCDs being both cheaper and lighter and longer battery life,
etc.

I've never seen any domestic LCD set which gives the same detail etc on a
face as a decent analogue CRT. Although some of that could well be down to
digital transmission too.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Oh and one tradition of tvs has not changed.
They all still have crap sounds speakers in them.

To me, the sound of modern TV sets is vastly inferior to what the old
ones had.

Don't use the TV's own sound system. Take the line out or optical and
feed into a decent sound system.

But why should you have to? It's rather like saying take video from it and
feed to a decent monitor.

The sound on the HD channels (to my ears) is noticably better than
the SD channels, so bypassing the TV mediocre speakers is a good
idea. Especially for things like the Proms concerts. Annoyingly,
the Midhurst xmitter only supplies BBC4 in SD, so that the kiddies
can have CBBC in HD instead !. Even more annoyingly, CBBC is
only broadcast during the day and BBC4 only at night, so why can't
they revert to a generic BBC HD channel and then share it.

I use an Amptastic amp and a pair of old phillips 320 PC speakers
and it sounds way better to me. I'll get some even better 'hifi'
speakers one day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never seen any domestic LCD set which gives the same detail etc on a
face as a decent analogue CRT.

When HD transmissions started, all the broadcasters had to revamp
their news and panel-show 'furniture' because the better quality
of the image revealed the flaws of the old studio furniture that
that analogue and SD digital masked out.

Most people stuck with their plasma TV's for that reason - the
picture was better.

Ultra HD on a TV or monitor that can resolve 1 billion colours
is a revelation compared to a 'normal' LCD tv showing an SD program.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Early TVs had the problem of the speaker magnet interfering with the
cathode rays, so the speaker was placed on one side or the other right
at the back of the cube shaped cabinet. I think it could positioned on
the right or the left side so it wouldn't be against the wall. I suppose
the TV engineer would ensure it was on the correct side if he could be
bothered, at the same time as fitting the right coils for the TV
channels (unless this was done back at the shop).

You can make speakers with zero external magnetic field. But this may cost
slightly more than a basic speaker, so not suitable for a TV.

I used to have a large hi-fi speaker against the RHS of a CRT TV. The
only interference I noted was when the TV was showing a solid white
field when *removing* the speaker lead to colour fringes on the TV. It
must have "got used" to having the speaker there.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
[...]

The compression of terrestrial TV and the artefacts created are near
criminal.

Motion in a CRT with a very short phosphor persistence is/was far better
than any LCD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/17 09:48, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in newspml99$334$1
@dont-email.me:

How the heck does a LCD TV work?

who cares? .....

I know what you mean. Full of tiny things that we don't understand as
well.

After the Apocolypse - we won't be able to recreate them! May manage a
Baird TV

I could probably manage to design a z80, given time.

Making a Z80 from scratch in silicon might be problematic, even if we
did have your non-verified designs.