Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Old TVs

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 17:44:35 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

snip

When our 8 year old Samsung packed in I took it apart looking for the
obvious.

Like bulging caps or short / open circuit diodes on the PSU board (I
did one yesterday). ;-)

Nope. I have little idea of what they look like. My ancient soldering iron
is like a poker, even though I've filed the tip down. I did managed to fix
and solder back a micro switch in a car key fob with it though.

There was nothing obvious, I know nothing about tellys.

You don't really need to know much about tellys these days (as you
probably couldn't do much d-i-y with the LSI / logic boards) but often
the more basic bits mentioned above.

I put it outside for the pikey scrap men, they did not pick it up.

Because it contains little in the way of valuable 'scrap'.

They did take away a lawn mower that was 99% plastic a few years ago.

So, I smashed it up and put the bits in the wheelie bin.

There is a skip for such things at your local recycling centre. ;-(

Yeah.

The speakers were
like postage stamps.

Yup ... and why most people have sound bars or pipe their TV sound
though their HiFi or other speakers.

We use 5.1 speakers or something. I watch very little telly.

There were these thin tubes behind the screen, so I guess that one
of them had failed.

If it had I think you would have had a picture but fading brightness
from one side to the other.

It looked like several tins of paint had been chucked at the screen.

Thumping the screen made it work for a very short while.

Could have been a dry joint ... ?

I don't do dope.

That lump of junk cost £800.

I have a large plasma monitor up on the bedroom wall that must have
cost someone a few quid when new. Whilst it still works, the top of
the screen has some noise on it but it still makes a good panel
heater. ;-)

The last thing I need on the bedroom wall is a huge telly. The Incredible
Sleeping Dog would not like it.
Wife has a telly in the bedroom and tells me that the Freeview channels are
okay and do not need updating. This saves me RTFM.
I have never watched this telly.

Cheers, T i m