Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rehau windows

Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no preaching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart
noble wrote:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding
sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with
run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau
top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been
down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no
preaching

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 7:46:26 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article , stuart
noble wrote:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding
sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with
run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau
top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been
down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no
preaching

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Yep, next door neighbour has had them done in accoya. Factory sprayed white you wouldn't know they weren't plastic. Ironic eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

noble wrote:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding
sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with
run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau
top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been
down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no
preaching

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Yep, next door neighbour has had them done in accoya. Factory sprayed white you wouldn't know they weren't plastic. Ironic eh?

Generally, the sections are too thick in plastic, so it looks all wrong.
I understand that Aluminium can look much better.

If you can reproduce the exact look of the original windows but in a
different material, I don't see that it matters.

We have the original victorian windows, so well made sash windows don't
half last! Bloody draughty, though, so installed secondary glazing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

stuart noble Wrote in message:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no preaching

Seen
quickslide Co.UK

I have a couple for a few years now & they seem ok.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article , stuart
noble wrote:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding
sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with
run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau
top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been
down this road? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no
preaching

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.

and idiots trapped in yesteryear who buy them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

noble wrote:
Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian
sliding sashes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage"
range with run through sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical
joints, with Rehau top of the price range but Choices offering
similar for less. Anyone been down this road? We may yet repair the
existing sashes so, please, no preaching

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.

-- from KT24 in Surrey, England

Yep, next door neighbour has had them done in accoya. Factory sprayed
white you wouldn't know they weren't plastic. Ironic eh?

It's the size of the sides and tops which are the giveaway round here with
replacement PVC sash windows. They are larger and look out of proportion.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

If you can reproduce the exact look of the original windows but in a
different material, I don't see that it matters.

Seems ones exist that are good enough to fool the planners, I expect
they're still sniffy about allowing them though :-(

From https://www.bygonecollection.co.uk/your-home/conservation

An inspector from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, deciding
against Macclesfield council, said of a Bygone design: €śIt appears to
replicate a traditional sliding sash window very closely. The effect is
so convincing that it is difficult to differentiate between the two,
even at close quarters.€ť

He added: €śUnlike many other PVCu imitations which only pay superficial
attention to traditional detailing, the mouldings on the frame of the
unit, which also extend to the central glazing bars, appear most authentic.€ť

He concluded that the Bygone windows would actually €śpreserve or enhance
the conservation area€ť.

================

A senior planner building his own home [...] wanted a plastic framed
window requiring no maintenance or painting. When he looked closely at a
sample Bygone window he exclaimed: €śI dont want timber €“ I want a PVCu
sash window.€ť The product he was looking at was PVCu, but he thought it
was wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From https://www.bygonecollection.co.uk/your-home/conservation

An inspector from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, deciding
against Macclesfield council, said of a Bygone design: €śIt appears to
replicate a traditional sliding sash window very closely. The effect is
so convincing that it is difficult to differentiate between the two,
even at close quarters.€ť

He added: €śUnlike many other PVCu imitations which only pay superficial
attention to traditional detailing, the mouldings on the frame of the
unit, which also extend to the central glazing bars, appear most authentic.€ť

He concluded that the Bygone windows would actually €śpreserve or enhance
the conservation area€ť.

Thanks Andy. Bygone appear to be an alternative fabricator with a retailer not far from me, so I'll take a look in their showroom.
I don't think there's any doubt that the latest crop of "heritage" pvc windows are pretty damned close to the originals, so most of the traditional objections to pvc are no longer valid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

I don't think there's any doubt that the latest crop of "heritage"
pvc windows are pretty damned close to the originals, so most of the
traditional objections to pvc are no longer valid.

It would be nice if FENSA or similar could get a blanket approval for
"conservation grade" windows provided they met a high spec, e.g.

mechanical jointed rather than diagonal welded,
foil grained off-white rather than gloss white
slim frames/equal sight lines
etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:10:13 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

We have the original victorian windows, so well made sash windows don't
half last! Bloody draughty, though, so installed secondary glazing.

The funny thing is that the Victorians didn't suffer for mould and
mildew because of poor ventilation. ;-)

We now hermetically seal our houses and then are forced to fit
permanent vents to let the draughts and cold air back in?

A while back Mum had her front bays replaced with uPVC and because she
still has a wall mounted gas fire, they needed to find out if the room
was big enough or it would then need permanent vents fitted (it was).

Apparently the reason was because the old wooden frames were expected
to leak slightly whereas the uPVC ones wouldn't.

Are new builds obliged to fit heat exchangers on the general vents and
if not why not?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

If you can reproduce the exact look of the original windows but in a
different material, I don't see that it matters.

Seems ones exist that are good enough to fool the planners, I expect
they're still sniffy about allowing them though :-(

From https://www.bygonecollection.co.uk/your-home/conservation

An inspector from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, deciding
against Macclesfield council, said of a Bygone design: ”It appears to
replicate a traditional sliding sash window very closely. The effect is
so convincing that it is difficult to differentiate between the two,
even at close quarters.•

He added: ”Unlike many other PVCu imitations which only pay superficial
attention to traditional detailing, the mouldings on the frame of the
unit, which also extend to the central glazing bars, appear most authentic.•

He concluded that the Bygone windows would actually ”preserve or enhance
the conservation area•.

================

A senior planner building his own home [...] wanted a plastic framed
window requiring no maintenance or painting. When he looked closely at a
sample Bygone window he exclaimed: ”I don‘t want timber — I want a PVCu
sash window.• The product he was looking at was PVCu, but he thought it
was wood.

Interesting, Andy. Perhaps they are so good I thought they were original
(or good copies in wood) I've no objection to PVC replacements if they
look OK.

This Victorian street has many designs of houses. All pretty well on the
same sized plots and of the same basic size, but differ in detail. Quite a
few have a curved top to the glass to match the curved stone arch above
the window. All the PVC replacements don't.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
We have the original victorian windows, so well made sash windows don't
half last! Bloody draughty, though, so installed secondary glazing.

Apart from heat loss through the glass, a sash in good condition isn't
that draughty. But after a hundred years plus, tend to be a bit worn. Not
too difficult to fit seals, though, without them being obvious. Can be
double glazed too.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Junior Member

Location: London

Rehau windows are great they are one of the few that can have triple glazing. Great noise reduction!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:58:26 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
We have the original victorian windows, so well made sash windows don't
half last! Bloody draughty, though, so installed secondary glazing.

Apart from heat loss through the glass, a sash in good condition isn't
that draughty. But after a hundred years plus, tend to be a bit worn. Not
too difficult to fit seals, though, without them being obvious. Can be
double glazed too.

Not easy to retrofit DG to sliders. Next door did it, rather cleverly I thought, by replacing the old steel sash weights with lead to allow for the extra weight of glass. Cost double what a perfect match in upvc would cost though, and he still has bits of the old box to maintain.