Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CO2 gas bottle thread size

I seem to be going round in circles.

I recently bought a 'no deposit' bottle that has a strange thread to fit
a regulator. I purchased a regulator that has an inlet thread: G5/8-14

It has the same pitch as the bottle ir 14tpi but the bottle seems to be
7/8-14 UNF

The sizes are sufficiently different that of course they don't fit, plus
the inner aperture of the bottle is 12.9mm which is clearance for a 1/2"
stork/sealing stem.

A bottle major diameter of 21.7mm doesn't correspond to any BSP sizes,
and 14tpi doesn't correspond well to any metric pitches.

I can't seem to find any regulator with this thread, can anyone assist
before I take the bottle back?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

It has the same pitch as the bottle ir 14tpi but the bottle seems to be
7/8-14 UNF

I looked into CO2 fittings a while ago, but ended up not buying
anything, if you've got a library membership, view BS 341-1, the outlet
#8 should be 0.860" x 14TPI, slightly under 7/8"

https://bsol.bsigroup.com/Bibliographic/BibliographicInfoData/000000000000250428
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 18:15:42 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

I seem to be going round in circles.

I recently bought a 'no deposit' bottle that has a strange thread to fit
a regulator. I purchased a regulator that has an inlet thread: G5/8-14

It has the same pitch as the bottle ir 14tpi but the bottle seems to be
7/8-14 UNF

The sizes are sufficiently different that of course they don't fit, plus
the inner aperture of the bottle is 12.9mm which is clearance for a 1/2"
stork/sealing stem.

A bottle major diameter of 21.7mm doesn't correspond to any BSP sizes,
and 14tpi doesn't correspond well to any metric pitches.

I can't seem to find any regulator with this thread, can anyone assist
before I take the bottle back?

Is it the American CGA 320 standard? Lots of adapters amongst the
paint ball community, there is also a Japanese std that is non
compatible with the US or the British and European ones.
In a past life I used to set up drink dispense systems on cruise
ships,flaming nightmare when they returned to the UK after a few
months away and had they taken on local cylinders and connections had
been changed /bodged together.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 19:02:41 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

CGA 320 has a thread size of 0.825, whereas the bottle is 0.854 which is
more in tune with BS 141-1 Andy mentioned.

Are you using a proper thread gauge to measure the TPI or just relying on
a ruler? Thread gauges readily reveal differences in pitch that are
invisible to rulers.