Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Speed up the ball bearing

After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from a
newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to
speed things up?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

on 05/09/2017, john west supposed :
After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from a
newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to speed
things up?

WD40 will dry out to become a thick wax. A thin normal oil might work,
such as sewing machine oil.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2017 17:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 05/09/2017, john west supposed :
After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from
a newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it
down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to
speed things up?

WD40 will dry out to become a thick wax. A thin normal oil might work,
such as sewing machine oil.

fitting some decent quality bearings would be the first thing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 September 2017 17:48:32 UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
On 05/09/2017 17:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 05/09/2017, john west supposed :
After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from
a newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it
down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to
speed things up?

WD40 is white spirit. It removes any lubricant present

WD40 will dry out to become a thick wax. A thin normal oil might work,
such as sewing machine oil.

fitting some decent quality bearings would be the first thing

The first thing would be to bin it. You only get 1 life, don't **** it away.

NT
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 17:38:30 +0100, john west wrote:

After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from a
newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it
down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to
speed things up?

Try powdered graphite (used for locks)?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2017 22:39, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 17:38:30 +0100, john west wrote:

After more than a few spins, the free fidget spinner that we got from a
newspaper offer now seems more noisy than when we first got it.

I read not to put oil in the ball bearings because that will slow it
down.

Would a *tiny* drop of WD40 (according to NASA not a lubricant, but a
moisture displacement agent) or a *tiny* drop of silicon oil likely to
speed things up?

Try powdered graphite (used for locks)?

More likely to build up and cause skidding. NASA found this in the
1960's. There are quite a lot of rolling element bearings used in
satellites for solar panels and attitude control wheels. Indium plating
was one of the things used, also low volatility oils, but I am not very
up-to-date.