Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing moss.

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Surprised moss can get a foothold there.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

Ferrous sulphate kills it in lawns, but takes a week or 10 days to do
the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

This worked well on our tarmac -
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Product...to-use-1-litre
After a week or so of weather it was gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

The cheapest Aldi/Lidl malt vinegar and a spray bottle. Not instant and
you need a couple of days without rain afterwards (re-apply if it rains)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2017 01:06, alan_m wrote:
Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

The cheapest Aldi/Lidl malt vinegar and a spray bottle. Not instant and
you need a couple of days without rain afterwards (re-apply if it rains)

try biological washing powder, make a solution,apply and wait. works
fine for me, cheap and readily available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 00:38:36 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I'd be surprised if it is moss.

Whatever it is I tend to clean up such things with a pressure washer.
Shifts all the muck as well as loose paint. I use Hammerite to paint
over (direct to metal or rust).

If the surface is perfectly sound after cleaning then Dulux Metalshield
is also a good product IME.

(Dulux and Hammerite are both owned by the same company).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a problem on a concrete patio. Unfortunately it seems to actually
stop this, probably the only way is to break up and remove the concrete and
put down something else. It has such a foothold in the minute cracks in the
surface that any attempt to kill it or pressure wash it off fails either in
it coming back almost immediately or the concrete breaking up. Sigh.

Quite how you get it on railings is hard to see, unless its the paint which
its growing on.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Surprised moss can get a foothold there.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

Ferrous sulphate kills it in lawns, but takes a week or 10 days to do the
job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

This has been dealt with in another thread about the same thing.

Anyway, as before I use a mix of cheap bleach, caustic soda and water in
a watering can.
The benefits are that apart from killing the moss, it also cleans the
block paving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Allread wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 00:38:36 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I'd be surprised if it is moss.

Ah. It's a green growth, so moss to me. ;-) It resists vigorous brushing
with a hand wire brush. And don't want to wreck the existing paint which
isn't that bad by using a powerful abrasive.

Whatever it is I tend to clean up such things with a pressure washer.
Shifts all the muck as well as loose paint. I use Hammerite to paint
over (direct to metal or rust).

Not got a pressure washer.

If the surface is perfectly sound after cleaning then Dulux Metalshield
is also a good product IME.

(Dulux and Hammerite are both owned by the same company).

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

Probably the latter, after reading here.

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

Dammit. ;-)

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 09:44:35 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

Probably the latter, after reading here.

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

Dammit. ;-)

You could *buy* a pressure washer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

Try Lidl bio washing liquid. Kills moss(and weeds) on my roof and drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Martin Brown wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

Probably the latter, after reading here.

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

Dammit. ;-)

You could *buy* a pressure washer

Or borrow one from a *friend* :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

Probably the latter, after reading here.

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

Dammit. ;-)

You could *buy* a pressure washer

Not really. Shortage of storage for large things like that I'd rarely use.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Martin Brown wrote:

Any easy way to remove moss from black painted steel railings? Before
re-painting.

Do you mean moss or lichens?

Probably the latter, after reading here.

The latter tend to etch into whatever surface they colonise so you are
pretty much into wire brush to get it off a paint surface.

A magic chemical where it would just wipe off would be great.

I think you may just need more elbow grease.

Dammit. ;-)

You could *buy* a pressure washer

Or borrow one from a *friend* :-)

Bump...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Removing green moss Han Home Repair 7 September 17th 10 06:33 PM
Removing green moss Bob Villa Home Repair 0 September 16th 10 11:58 AM
Removing green moss harry Home Repair 0 September 16th 10 08:33 AM
Removing Moss From Driveway ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 August 30th 06 05:18 AM
removing moss Craig UK diy 6 February 5th 05 11:16 AM