Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default curtain rail

I'm looking for one curtain rail to fit a bay window, total length
3200mm / 10'6". The curtains are quite heavy; the drop is nearly 3
metres.
I've always used Swish Deluxe in the past, but that seems not available
in long enough lengths.
Please suggest a white curtain rail where the curtains runs freely round
the bends, and the brackets don't break easily.
Or, does the Swish Deluxe track joiner work well?

Take the dog out before emailing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/17 17:46, Mike wrote:

I'm looking for one curtain rail to fit a bay window, total length
3200mm / 10'6". The curtains are quite heavy; the drop is nearly 3
metres.
I've always used Swish Deluxe in the past, but that seems not available
in long enough lengths.
Please suggest a white curtain rail where the curtains runs freely round
the bends, and the brackets don't break easily.
Or, does the Swish Deluxe track joiner work well?

Take the dog out before emailing.

We had a similar problem several houses back.

Sorry I can't recall the make we used but I simply bought some Aluminium
rail, which has finished in white. I carefully cut through the 'lip' on
the back where the supports clipped at the points where I needed to made
the bends (the bay was made of several flat windows- I can't recall how
many- probably 5) I then simply bent the rail carefully. I fixed the
rail, with brackets on either side of each bend and one in the middle of
each straight run. The curtain 'ran' fine, 'senior management' approved
and the curtains were quite heavy- full length (may be a 6' drop) and
lined. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to make them 'cord
pull' to close.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2017 17:46, Mike wrote:
Please suggest a white curtain rail where the curtains runs freely round
the bends, and the brackets don't break easily.
Or, does the Swish Deluxe track joiner work well

You can get Swish Superluxe up to 5 metres long, e.g.
http://www.linenslimited.com/swish-s...t-white-500-cm

We have 3 metre lengths of this in two bay windows and heavy curtains
run quite freely on it.

It comes in two sections with a joiner. The joiner is well supported if
you follow the recommended bracket spacing with a bracket close to each
side of the joiner. The joint should be no problem but the curtain
overlap does need to to coincide with the joint.

Because of the joint you have a separate cording set for each section
but we don't find this any problem, in fact it's quite an advantage, it
makes heavy curtains easier to draw and can sometimes be quite useful if
you need to just partially close one side to cut down dazzle from the sun.

Although the track feels quite stiff it can be bent to a ten inch radius
although I found heating with a hairdryer was a great help. Having once
bent it to the required radius it stayed there without springing back.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 17:46:42 +0100, Mike wrote:

I'm looking for one curtain rail to fit a bay window, total length
3200mm / 10'6". The curtains are quite heavy; the drop is nearly 3
metres.
I've always used Swish Deluxe in the past, but that seems not available
in long enough lengths.
Please suggest a white curtain rail where the curtains runs freely round
the bends, and the brackets don't break easily.
Or, does the Swish Deluxe track joiner work well?

Take the dog out before emailing.

There's aluminium, not corded in this example:
https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/prod...ain-track-sil/
and plastic, corded:
https://www.polesandblinds.com/swish...or-ceiling-fix

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Follow up:

Thanks for advice.
I used Swish Supreme Glide which is aluminium, the gliders have rollers. The extrusion is similar to Swish Deluxe, but the two channels in the aly version are different from each other.
It doesn't run as smoothly as you would hope, the butt joint works better than you might hope.
But job done.

Take the dog out before emailing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 September 2017 13:48:39 UTC+1, wrote:
Follow up:

Thanks for advice.
I used Swish Supreme Glide which is aluminium, the gliders have rollers. The extrusion is similar to Swish Deluxe, but the two channels in the aly version are different from each other.
It doesn't run as smoothly as you would hope, the butt joint works better than you might hope.
But job done.

Take the dog out before emailing.

How do you know what I'd hope? What lube did you use?

NT

Shower curtain rail height F UK diy 4 February 19th 06 12:30 PM
Curtain Rail Q mutley UK diy 4 December 24th 05 09:48 AM
Finding replacement curtain rail fixings [email protected] UK diy 3 July 8th 05 12:03 AM
Curtain rail loose in one hole.. what do I do ? Paul UK diy 5 March 26th 04 12:21 PM
Shower Curtain rail for Corner Bath.. Please help. Rune Langtind UK diy 7 March 2nd 04 10:02 AM