Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sleeving the earth - my imagination?

As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

I think it was in at least one country, before harmonisation of colours,
Germany used Red for earth

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 13:03:50 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

I think it was in at least one country, before harmonisation of colours,
Germany used Red for earth

Was that country Scotland :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2017 12:58, Scott wrote:

As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

Green then later green/yellow has always been the colour for a
protective conductor (earth or bonding).

However you may find Cream colour insulation on functional earth[1]
conductors (which are normally only found in comms and audio
distribution circuits rather than power)

[1] Usually a "clean" earth for noise suppression purposes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2017 16:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/08/2017 12:58, Scott wrote:

As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth.* I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow.* Was white ever used to represent earth?

Green then later green/yellow has always been the colour for a
protective conductor (earth or bonding).

However you may find Cream colour insulation on functional earth[1]
conductors (which are normally only found in comms and audio
distribution circuits rather than power)

[1] Usually a "clean" earth for noise suppression purposes.

And most RCBOs:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2017 12:58, Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

Not as sleeving. See John's reply about functional earth colours.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 12:58:55 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...s-infographic/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 16:11:40 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
However you may find Cream colour insulation on functional earth[1]
conductors (which are normally only found in comms and audio
distribution circuits rather than power)
[1] Usually a "clean" earth for noise suppression purposes.

Or for earth recall on switchboards or party lines.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving on
the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

I think it was in at least one country, before harmonisation of colours,
Germany used Red for earth

Silly Sods!

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe it was just a local thing. It could be ptfe sleeving of course.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Scott" wrote in message
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 12:58:55 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving
on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and
yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

Most likely someone just didn't have the right sleeving to hand.

NT

2 live wires - my imagination? Scott[_17_] UK diy 21 August 27th 17 10:59 AM
Sleeving earth cable Luke UK diy 10 August 1st 10 04:54 PM
Earth sleeving ac1951 UK diy 7 November 16th 07 06:30 PM
Earth Sleeving Arthur 51 UK diy 14 August 27th 07 01:55 PM
OT humor have your imagination running larry Woodworking 15 December 22nd 06 02:35 PM