Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sleeving earth cable

Some may remember my question from a week or so ago about fitting a
gas meter box. I have fitted the box and it all went fine, no
calamaties with the whole wall collapsing and it has turned out pretty
neatly.

My next question relates to the earth wire which must be run to a
point just after the meter. Do I need to sleeve this wire as it comes
through the wall or will the PVC coating suffice?

Thanks
Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Luke writes:
Some may remember my question from a week or so ago about fitting a
gas meter box. I have fitted the box and it all went fine, no
calamaties with the whole wall collapsing and it has turned out pretty
neatly.

My next question relates to the earth wire which must be run to a
point just after the meter. Do I need to sleeve this wire as it comes
through the wall or will the PVC coating suffice?

The cable doesn't need sleeving for it's protection, but you
do need to prevent any leaking gas getting into the wall.

Why are you running the earth through the wall anyway?
Just connect it to the pipe on the inside, as it emerges
from the sleeve.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 09:17, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Luke writes:

Some may remember my question from a week or so ago about fitting a
gas meter box. I have fitted the box and it all went fine, no
calamaties with the whole wall collapsing and it has turned out pretty
neatly.

My next question relates to the earth wire which must be run to a
point just after the meter. Do I need to sleeve this wire as it comes
through the wall or will the PVC coating suffice?

The cable doesn't need sleeving for it's protection, but you
do need to prevent any leaking gas getting into the wall.

Why are you running the earth through the wall anyway?
Just connect it to the pipe on the inside, as it emerges
from the sleeve.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. If I understand you correctly you are suggesting I connect the
earth to the gas pipe on the inside of the house whereas I was under
the impression the earth connection had to be sited JUST AFTER the gas
meter, i.e. in the box. Therefore I have planned to run the earth out
from under the floor void, next to the gas pipe and then up to the
meter. Photo he

http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/LukeDavies/?action=view&current=31072010094.jpg

Hope this is OK. As you can (probably just) see I have already drilled
a hole left of the sleeve to take the earth wire.

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Why are you running the earth through the wall anyway?

Doesn't the earth connection have to be to the metal of the pipe that
emerges from the ground ie before any joints/meters etc...

Or does that vary depending on the stype of electricity supply and
this connection just being an equipotential bond (better consumer
side of the meter) or part of the safety earth bonding (better supply
side)?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

,
Luke writes:

[...]

It looks to me that the gas pipe comes in under the floorboards. The clamp
would then not be visible for inspection if you clamped it on the inside.

So you will be better taking the cable to inside the gas meter box and doing
the bonding there. No need to sleeve the cable

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

Is that vertical cracks on the harling where it meets the facing brick.
Is this a new build?

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 10:01, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 08:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Why are you running the earth through the wall anyway?

Doesn't the earth connection have to be to the metal of the pipe that
emerges from the ground ie before any joints/meters etc... *

Or does that vary depending on the stype of electricity supply and
this connection just being an equipotential bond (better consumer
side of the meter) or part of the safety earth bonding (better supply
side)?

--
Cheers
Dave.

On (metal) pipework within 600mm of the meter on the consumers side of
the meter but before any branches or tees OR within 600mm of the point
of entry to the building if the meter is external. Having the bond
visible at the meter cabinet saves silly bits of card being left by
Transco fitters saying bonding should be investigated if they do a
meter change or other work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
On 1 Aug, 10:01, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Quite often gas companies put insulators in their meters to stop currents
passing down their metal pipes.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * * *writes:

[...]

I've just learnt a new word ("harling").

"a mixture of lime and gravel"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/harling

I thought it was just plain old render!

Yes they are cracks but only very fine ones. The house was built in
1957. What I do know, is that it is much tougher than I imagined it to
be, and very well adhered to the brick. So, although they are a bit
unsightly, I do not think the harling is inherently weak. I am sort of
assuming that when I paint the exterior of the house, the viscous
paint will simply fill those cracks in.

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

Its always been called Harling in Scotland

--
Regards
Camdor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GAP GAP is offline

* * * * *writes:

[...]

IME, it's harling if you live in Scotland, otherwise it *is* render.
But maybe there is a more subtle difference in the composition to suit
Scotland's harsher climate...

I know I had to learn a lot of new building words when we moved to
Scotland - e.g. dwangs (my favourite word!)

Graham

cable sleeving Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 December 18th 08 04:39 PM
Earth sleeving ac1951 UK diy 7 November 16th 07 06:30 PM
One Earth cable or Two ? ac1951 UK diy 3 November 10th 07 07:50 PM
Earth Sleeving Arthur 51 UK diy 14 August 27th 07 01:55 PM
Earth bonding cable? Jeff UK diy 7 February 7th 04 07:34 AM