Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cable sleeving

Hello,

As you will know, rather than run brown/brown twin and earth to light
switches, sometimes brown/blue twin and earth cable is used and the
blue wire has to have a brown sleeve or brown tape on it, to show it
is in fact live.

I was looking at TLC's 3mm brown sleeving; the description says it is
suitable for 1.0mm and 1.5mm cables. I presume this is shorthand for
1.0mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 cable?

However, I wonder whether it is only suitable for *bare* 1.5mm^2
cable? I have just tried some 3mm earth sleeving and it will not fit
over the insulation.

What size do I need instead?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 12:23, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

As you will know, rather than run brown/brown twin and earth to light
switches, sometimes brown/blue twin and earth cable is used and the
blue wire has to have a brown sleeve or brown tape on it, to show it
is in fact live.

I was looking at TLC's 3mm brown sleeving; the description says it is
suitable for 1.0mm and 1.5mm cables. I presume this is shorthand for
1.0mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 cable?

I just wrap a bit of this round the blue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 15:09, pcb1962 wrote:
On 8 Dec, 12:23, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

As you will know, rather than run brown/brown twin and earth to light
switches, sometimes brown/blue twin and earth cable is used and the
blue wire has to have a brown sleeve or brown tape on it, to show it
is in fact live.

I was looking at TLC's 3mm brown sleeving; the description says it is
suitable for 1.0mm and 1.5mm cables. I presume this is shorthand for
1.0mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 cable?

I just wrap a bit of this round the blue.

I mean a bit of this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTAPEBR.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:26:21 -0800 (PST), pcb1962
wrote:

I just wrap a bit of this round the blue.

I mean a bit of this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTAPEBR.html

That's what I have done. I just thought the sleeving might look
tidier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wrap a bit of this round the blue.

I mean a bit of this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTAPEBR.html

That's what I have done. I just thought the sleeving might look
tidier.

And won't peel of after a few years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I was looking at TLC's 3mm brown sleeving; the description says it is
suitable for 1.0mm and 1.5mm cables. I presume this is shorthand for
1.0mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 cable?

However, I wonder whether it is only suitable for *bare* 1.5mm^2
cable? I have just tried some 3mm earth sleeving and it will not fit
over the insulation.

What size do I need instead?

4mm will do for 1 and 1.5mm insulated.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:33:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

4mm will do for 1 and 1.5mm insulated.

Thanks. The TLC description says 3mm will do, but I have some 3mm
earth sleeving at that won't fit over the insulated 1.5mm^2 cable.
Have they got their page wrong? I didn't want to buy 4mm in case it
was too loose but you have reassured me.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
4mm will do for 1 and 1.5mm insulated.

Thanks. The TLC description says 3mm will do, but I have some 3mm
earth sleeving at that won't fit over the insulated 1.5mm^2 cable.

It probably would with a drop of lubrication.

Have they got their page wrong? I didn't want to buy 4mm in case it
was too loose but you have reassured me.

If it is easy to slip on it will fall off just as readily, I'm afraid. So
remember to bend up the cable after fitting it if not connecting right
away.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:23:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

It probably would with a drop of lubrication.

What do you recommend? I haven't lubricated cables before and would
not know what would attack the insulation or what would conduct the
electricity!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It probably would with a drop of lubrication.

What do you recommend? I haven't lubricated cables before and would
not know what would attack the insulation or what would conduct the
electricity!

Wahing up liquid.

MICKY

Sleeving pipes through walls Autolycus[_2_] UK diy 6 December 30th 07 11:53 PM
Earth sleeving ac1951 UK diy 7 November 16th 07 06:30 PM
Earth Sleeving Arthur 51 UK diy 14 August 27th 07 01:55 PM
Sleeving a barrel gspaff Metalworking 9 August 13th 07 06:25 AM
TV aerials: where does the sleeving connect? John UK diy 32 June 19th 05 03:20 PM