Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Sleeving earth cable

"Luke" wrote in message
On 1 Aug, 09:17, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article
,
Luke writes:

Some may remember my question from a week or so ago about fitting a
gas meter box. I have fitted the box and it all went fine, no
calamaties with the whole wall collapsing and it has turned out pretty
neatly.

My next question relates to the earth wire which must be run to a
point just after the meter. Do I need to sleeve this wire as it comes
through the wall or will the PVC coating suffice?

The cable doesn't need sleeving for it's protection, but you
do need to prevent any leaking gas getting into the wall.

Why are you running the earth through the wall anyway?
Just connect it to the pipe on the inside, as it emerges
from the sleeve.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. If I understand you correctly you are suggesting I connect the
earth to the gas pipe on the inside of the house whereas I was under
the impression the earth connection had to be sited JUST AFTER the gas
meter, i.e. in the box. Therefore I have planned to run the earth out
from under the floor void, next to the gas pipe and then up to the
meter. Photo he

http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/LukeDavies/?action=view&current=31072010094.jpg

Hope this is OK. As you can (probably just) see I have already drilled
a hole left of the sleeve to take the earth wire.

Luke

It looks to me that the gas pipe comes in under the floorboards. The clamp
would then not be visible for inspection if you clamped it on the inside.

So you will be better taking the cable to inside the gas meter box and doing
the bonding there. No need to sleeve the cable

Cheers

Adam