Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Block Paving

I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:52:39 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

I realise you don't want to use a jet washer,( even a Chinese one :-)
) but I found one of attachments comprising jets which also drive a
rotating brush type worked better than I expected and far gentler than
a direct blast from the std lance nozzle. mine came as a bonus "free"
one and laid unused for years as we don't have a need but being time
constrained when visiting elderly mother on a maintenance weekend I
gave it a whirl and was pleasantly surprised.
A presoak with some Sodium Hypochlorite bought from Mole valley
farmers and then a passover with the brush gave an instant improvement
to the blocks which had not been cleaned since laid about 7 years ago.
No overspray splash due to the brush housing and was not so fierce as
to disturb the sand between the blocks to any significant degree.
I doubt if it abraided the blocks any more than the stiff brush would.
However if you just want to a manual brush then I would stick with the
Sodium Hyplochlorite as it is relatively cheap bought from
agricultural merchants at about £11 plus vat for 25l .

You just may have to consider run off for environmental reasons

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes a spell checker..
grin. Actually, my problem is moss in the pores of all paved and concreted
areas. Despite killing it off during the brief summer with chemicals, its
starting to come back. My Gardener person says not to use pressure washing
as half the concrete and synthetic paving will go due to the minute cracks
used by the moss.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 August 2017 14:17:15 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes a spell checker..
grin. Actually, my problem is moss in the pores of all paved and concreted
areas. Despite killing it off during the brief summer with chemicals, its
starting to come back. My Gardener person says not to use pressure washing
as half the concrete and synthetic paving will go due to the minute cracks
used by the moss.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

Try brushing down with a solution of Armillotox. It will kill the moss.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

Ajax or Vim scouring powder would have been my first choice for this
sort of job* being far more effective than washing powder. You can
get Vim in Robert Dyas at £1.79 for 750g.

michael adams

* It maybe depends how dirty it is. Washing up powder will shift
"everyday dirt" but ISTR scouring powder as being more effective
at shifting anything more challenging

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks

Maybe if you've got 'nice' clay blocks, I've pressure washed mine (bog
standard brindle/grey concrete ones) and other than ending up cleaner,
didn't look ruined in any way.

Some chap over the road has spent all afternoon pressure washing the
bricks of his house, now *that* I understand will remove all the sand
texture from the bricks and make them look pretty bland afterwards ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/17 10:52, DerbyBorn wrote:
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

I use cheap bleach in a watering can mixed with water does the job for
me. I do it about 3 times a year, and it also kills moss. Then a few
days later I just scrape out the dead moss, and the jobs a goodun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH Wrote in message:
On 25/08/17 10:52, DerbyBorn wrote:
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

I use cheap bleach in a watering can mixed with water does the job for
me. I do it about 3 times a year, and it also kills moss. Then a few
days later I just scrape out the dead moss, and the jobs a goodun.

That's really useful info. What ratio of bleach to water do you use?
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/17 11:56, Biggles wrote:
RobH Wrote in message:
On 25/08/17 10:52, DerbyBorn wrote:
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the
surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours
and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard - with a stiff bush
and some washing up liguid - or bio soap powder and having a scrub at it.

Any thoughts on what is best to use?

I use cheap bleach in a watering can mixed with water does the job for
me. I do it about 3 times a year, and it also kills moss. Then a few
days later I just scrape out the dead moss, and the jobs a goodun.

That's really useful info. What ratio of bleach to water do you use?

The bleach I buy is in 2ltr plastic bottles from Wilco or Tesco, and the
ratio is approx 1:2 or even 50:50. It depends on how much there is to
cover as well.
Oh, I also add a tablespoon or 2 of caustic soda to make sure.

One good thing, italso cleans the block paving and it is a almost as
good and clean as it was when it was laid 4 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One good thing, italso cleans the block paving and it is a almost as
good and clean as it was when it was laid 4 years ago.

No ill effect on the colour?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/17 17:59, DerbyBorn wrote:
One good thing, italso cleans the block paving and it is a almost as
good and clean as it was when it was laid 4 years ago.

No ill effect on the colour?

Non at all as I have noticed, apart from looking a lot cleaner

Cleaning block paving F[_2_] UK diy 28 April 3rd 10 04:03 PM
CLEANING BLOCK PAVING andyv UK diy 6 July 15th 09 01:26 PM
Paving over existing paving robert UK diy 1 March 27th 08 07:01 PM
Going rate for block paving ? Jim UK diy 8 July 22nd 04 04:02 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM