Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boats (was IBC water tanks?)

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 21:36:19 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 29/08/2017 23:17, T i m wrote:
Only a tiny class compared with the Solo though so not very good for
single class racing (if that's your bag).

That's it. I've done a little bit of cruising, but my wife always gets
frozen because I'm doing all the work... but I can go out on a Sunday
morning and have a good thrash around the pond with some like minded
guys, and still be home for tea.

I can see the appeal, especially under such circumstances.

When we took the Sea hopper Kondor out for the first time on what the
club still considered 'a bit iffy' (they didn't know us or our
abilities etc), when we set off towards the water she asked us if we
were going to get changed? It turned out everyone else was wearing dry
suits. It was my intention not to get wet (or I would have bought a
wind surfer). ;-)

We've considered a Broads cruiser. We've been in this part of the world
for 3 years now, and haven't got around to even renting one.

We spent a lot of time on the Broads when I was a kid, either staying
onboard our own little (trailer) cruisers or a hire boat, houseboat,
or chalet etc. I've been back camping and in a chalet.

Too much
time fixing the house. (We have evidence of bodges going back over 100
years, and it was only a peasant's cottage to start with.)

Yup, I know the feeling. ;-(

Though today the local uni reports 20kt gusts and a 6kt average. It was
a bit variable.

Nice.

I'll hurt tomorrow. I ache a bit now.

But it's a good ache and worth it I think. ;-)

When I was a teenager Dad though it would be a 'good idea' I went
sailing in the Leader and got me to invite a mate and dragged us down
to Brightlingsea, just as the lifeboat was towing a trimaran in
upside-down. ;-(

Well, we had made the effort to get there so to the bemusement /
concern of the locals we fully rigged and went out for a blast. It was
'very lively' (to say the least) and after about 20 mins I decided
discretion would be the better part of valour, dropped the main and we
carried on planing about on the jib for another 10 mins or so. ;-)

When I first met the current Mrs I took her up to Oulton Broad with
the Leader and we stayed in a chalet right on the broad.

We went out sailing most days but most were fairly quiet (we did
manage to sail to Yarmouth and outboarded back one day) except the
last / leaving day it was really breezy. So we packed up and vacated
the chalet but went out for a good couple of hours blasting about
before going home. ;-)

Nothing more rewarding than hanging out over the stern quarter on a
long broad reach and being on the plane the whole time. ;-)

The Leader (similar to the Solo it looks) is a fairly forgiving hull
shape where it takes quite a bit of effort to get her 'up on her ear'
because of the chines (in comparison to a rounded section hull).

I used to torment my sister when she was my crew by being on a reach
and just dribbling water in over the leeward gunwhale whilst she was
hanging out on the weather side, looking at most of the centreboard
out of the water. You could generally 'play' with it millimetre fine
just with a small movement on the mainsheet. ;-)

Some years after not sailing I took a newish Wayfairer out on my
sisters club lake and whist the feel was similar to the Leader, (like
riding a bike etc) it definitely felt less 'agile'.

Cheers, T i m

Info on ibc plastic IBC tanks Broadback[_3_] UK diy 4 August 1st 13 09:23 PM
IBC tanks Broadback[_3_] UK diy 14 August 1st 13 03:54 PM
IBC tanks; rainwater storage; jet wash; booster pump? Hernibles UK diy 16 March 6th 12 11:13 AM
2006 IBC on cdrom ? Steve Barker[_6_] Home Repair 2 September 28th 11 02:33 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM