Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IBC tanks; rainwater storage; jet wash; booster pump?

I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage. Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Can anybody recommend such a device?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 9:04 am, Hernibles wrote:
I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage. Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Can anybody recommend such a device?

watch out for algal growth in the ibcs

most pressure washers will work with zero head

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hernibles" wrote in message
I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage. Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Can anybody recommend such a device?

I assume these will be well covered so mosquito proof but if not gardeners'
world suggested a small amount of cooking oil to ruin the surface for them -
it's been working for me for the last few years and my plants (watered from
these water butts) haven't suffered any ill effects.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 10:09 am, "Paul D Smith" wrote:
"Hernibles" wrote in message

I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage. Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Can anybody recommend such a device?

I assume these will be well covered so mosquito proof but

they should have 12"ish screw on lids

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hernibles writes:
I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage.

You'll need to paint them, to stop light getting in, or they'll fill
with algae.

Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)
In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.
I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.
Can anybody recommend such a device?

You don't need one. I run a pressure washer from my water but, and all
you need is enough pressure to prime the pump (a few inches). The hose
will need to be slightly rigid too (standard garden hose is fine), but
not one of the collapse flat space-saving types.

Make sure the outlet is a few inches above the bottom of the tank, so
you don't suck up the muck which settles out to the bottom.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 10:26*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Hernibles writes:

[...]

I plan on gift wrapping it with a large butyl pond line offcut I
have. That'll keep the sun out.

Another thing I am pondering...what happens in -10 degree frosts as
we have recently had? I assume if a tank is full in such a frost it
will self destruct!

Interestingly the tanks contained aircraft de-icer....but there is not
enough left to make a difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hernibles writes:
On Feb 21, 10:26*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Hernibles writes:

[...]

The water butt ends up with some inches of ice on the top, and the
outlet frozen, but nothing more. It would take a long time to freeze
the whole thing, probably longer than it normally stays that cold.
Even a large builder's bucket of water on the patio only half froze
in the -10C we had here for a few nights. I tipped it upside down and
ended up with a large ice bowl where it had frozen at the top and down
the sides of the bucket, but not in the middle or base.

However, you should probably arrange the filling so it's not filled
to the point where the sides start curving in, so there is some
expansion capability.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hernibles" wrote in message

I've just acquired a couple of 1000 litre IBC tanks and intend to use
the for rainwater storage. Good timing because I expect prices will
shoot up now a drought has been announced. (Tanks were £45 each)

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean....but in my scenario there will
only be about 1 metre of head on the water supply. Much less as the
tank empties of course.

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Can anybody recommend such a device?

I assume these will be well covered so mosquito proof but

they should have 12"ish screw on lids

The lavae can get washed in from puddles in gutters. Then when
you open the lid, thousands of mosquitos fly out.

When I had that problem, one drip of washing-up liquid on the
surface caused all the mosquitos standing on the surface to
instantly drown. Very effective, but probably only for a
minute or so until the washing-up liquid disperses below the
surface skin (unless you put loads in the tank).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]

One drop of chlorine would probably do more..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:21:02 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

... one drip of washing-up liquid on the surface caused all the
mosquitos standing on the surface to instantly drown. Very effective,

Oil has a similar effect with the advantage that it stays as film on
top.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another thing I am pondering...what happens in -10 degree frosts as
we have recently had? I assume if a tank is full in such a frost it
will self destruct!

The water butt ends up with some inches of ice on the top, and the
outlet frozen, but nothing more. It would take a long time to freeze
the whole thing, probably longer than it normally stays that cold.
Even a large builder's bucket of water on the patio only half froze
in the -10C we had here for a few nights. I tipped it upside down and
ended up with a large ice bowl where it had frozen at the top and down
the sides of the bucket, but not in the middle or base.

However, you should probably arrange the filling so it's not filled
to the point where the sides start curving in, so there is some
expansion capability.

I have two as holding tanks for spring water at my stables. I've had the
outlet pipes freeze, but no sign of freezing solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 7:35*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
Oil has a similar effect with the advantage that it stays as film on
top.

If it's a typical waterbutt, what you get after a few weeks is a slime
of emulsified goo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 9:04*am, Hernibles wrote:
In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean.

We had a couple of m^3 IBCs for washing the wagons. Even a cheap
pressure washer seemed to cope with just a dip tube and a no more than
a foot of head. It did seem important to keep the dip tube, and its
strainer, a good few inches above the bottom and the crud layer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:37:14 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

Oil has a similar effect with the advantage that it stays as film

on
top.

If it's a typical waterbutt, what you get after a few weeks is a slime
of emulsified goo.

Does it still stop the mozzy larva?

Don't have the problem in our water butt, wrong climate for mozzies
and ants come to that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:04:48 -0800 (PST), Hernibles
wrote:

I am therefore on the lookout for a reasonably high flow rate, 12 volt
in-line booster pump with an integral flow switch.

Just lower a submersible pump into the container.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 10:40 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:04 am, Hernibles wrote:

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean.

We had a couple of m^3 IBCs for washing the wagons. Even a cheap
pressure washer seemed to cope with just a dip tube and a no more than
a foot of head. It did seem important to keep the dip tube, and its
strainer, a good few inches above the bottom and the crud layer.

yup, I got a washable filter screen addon thingy that screws in
between the intake and the "hoselock" adaptor - limits the size of
crud that can get to the pump etc - few quid off ebay (I think)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:17 pm, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 21, 10:40 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Feb 21, 9:04 am, Hernibles wrote:

In addition to keeping the plants watered I aspire to using this with
my jetwash to keep the cars clean.

We had a couple of m^3 IBCs for washing the wagons. Even a cheap
pressure washer seemed to cope with just a dip tube and a no more than
a foot of head. It did seem important to keep the dip tube, and its
strainer, a good few inches above the bottom and the crud layer.

yup, I got a washable filter screen addon thingy that screws in
between the intake and the "hoselock" adaptor - limits the size of
crud that can get to the pump etc - few quid off ebay (I think)

Jim K

as if by magic

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_29348.htm

Jim K