Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multiple on and off per day - security light - which type ofbulb?

On 22/08/2017 18:56, Terry Casey wrote:

Unlike many of the alkalines I seem to get today which leak within
months - if not before they have been removed from their packaging.

Buy your batteries from Poundland like I do. Kodak
alkalines, six AA for a pound and long dated (about 2025 at
the moment, I think), so the cheapest of anywhere I've found
and, although I've been using them for ages, I've never had
one leak.

Any other brand I've ever used always leak at some point in
their life cycle

Do Kodak actually make any batteries or has the brand name been sold off
to badge any old crap that originates from the far east?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2017 16:03, ChrisK wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
OT. How much power does an MK bell tranformer use 24/7 ?.

Less than the cost of batteries every year or so? But you also pay for
the
convenience.

Every year :-)

The Jehovah's witnesses can flatten a door bell battery on a Sunday
morning if you don't have an air gun.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2017 20:49, ARW wrote:
On 22/08/2017 16:03, ChrisK wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
** Andrew wrote:
OT. How much power does an MK bell tranformer use 24/7 ?.

Less than the cost of batteries every year or so? But you also pay for
the
convenience.

Every year :-)

The Jehovah's witnesses can flatten a door bell battery on a Sunday
morning if you don't have an air gun.

I just tell them that I work for the Blood Transfusion Service
and they generally look horified and shove off.

If they try and remonstrate, I have some NBS blood donor
sign-up cards that I offer to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 21/08/2017 09:19, David wrote:
I have PIR lights out front which take a standard ES bulb.

The bulbs don't seem to last long; months rather than years.

I've tried halogen but they don't seem much better than filament.
CFL were very short lived.

Are LED any better?

Does your PIR light switch using a relay or electronically?

Ours is relay switched and has had the same tungsten 60W bulb for the
last 3 years...

LEDs should be ok with a relay switched unit*, but some electronically
switched ones may not like the low load of an LED lamp.

*Some older LED lamps didn't like too many on/off cycles, not seen it
mentioned with the modern ones.