Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensation vs leak

Did a spring clean of the bathroom today, decanting all the
movable furniture out and a hand-on-knees deep scrub of
everything. I found a damp patch in the plaster behind a
cold water pipe near to a T junction. This is right next
to the shower, so could well be condensation rather than
a leak. Is there any simple way of telling before I
attempt resoldering/replacing the T junction?

I only discovered it because I haven't got around to boxing
that pipework in yet, so I want to know I've fixed it before
it gets hidden away and happily rots the wall unseen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Did a spring clean of the bathroom today, decanting all the
movable furniture out and a hand-on-knees deep scrub of
everything. I found a damp patch in the plaster behind a
cold water pipe near to a T junction. This is right next
to the shower, so could well be condensation rather than
a leak. Is there any simple way of telling before I
attempt resoldering/replacing the T junction?

Run a fan heater in there, heating the room, not the pipe, for a bit.
If its a leak, it will still be wet but if its condensation it wont be.

I only discovered it because I haven't got around to boxing
that pipework in yet, so I want to know I've fixed it before
it gets hidden away and happily rots the wall unseen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:35:13 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

Tape clear plastic/plastic film to the wall. Leave for a while.

Moisture on it: condensation, under it: leak (or residual moisture in the wall
from condensation).

eh, just re-read the post.

Adjust what I said for where the pipe is, and where the cold is coming from...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
Tape clear plastic/plastic film to the wall. Leave for a while.
Moisture on it: condensation, under it: leak (or residual moisture
in the wall from condensation).

I pulled all the insulation off, dried all the pipework, then tied
lengths of tissue paper at strategic positions. By the position of
the one soggy length of paper it's confirmed it's a teeny tiny
leak from a capillary == join. Probably easiest to chop out a decent
length of pipe to the next == join. Bugger that it's the rising main,
it means shutting the whole house off.