BigWallop

Default Solving Condensation Problems

"EMV" wrote in message
m...
We seem have a condensation problem on the downstairs external walls
on a victorian end of terraced house.

The Damp FAQ and Graham Colemans excellent site have helped us
identify condensation as the problem (rather than DPC failure which we
had considered) but now we have to find some sort of solution.

Over the past three years units have been placed in front of the
alcoves where the problems have occured. Also the radiators are
positioned on the opposite (internal) walls.

My proposed solution is to get rid of the existing radiators and
replace with a radiator in each alcove.

Another suggestion was to put 240W electric skirting radiators in each
alcove.

With either of the above solutions we also planned to use condensation
resistant paint to help combat the problem.

I would grateful to get some feedback on the solutions. In particular
whether 240W is enough power to prevent condensation on an external
victorian wall. Also whether condensation proof paint actually works.
Finally any other solutions that people have found to work.

Thanks in advance.

E.Varnell

Hi Again EMV,

I've just replied to your question on water from an airbrick and now I read
you have water seeping through the walls from outside. Me' thinks your
house is in need of external repointing of the masonry that make up the
walls. These alcove aren't by any chance on an external wall ?

EMV

Thanks for the reply.

The alcoves are indeed on an external wall.

Incidently we have just had a damp course company suggest that we
spend £6000 on having some sort of bubble wrap stuck on the external
wall and then rendered over. If repointing is all that would be
required I would hope we could get this done for a good deal less.

The reason we think that it is condensation is that the mould and
paint flaking are happening behind units (placed in the alcoves). It
also seems to rise up slightly in the corners.

Would you be able to explain how water would get it due to poor
pointing? Would we not expect the moitsure to appear frther up the
wall?

Thanks again

E.Varnell
BigWallop

"EMV" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the reply.

The alcoves are indeed on an external wall.

Incidently we have just had a damp course company suggest that we
spend £6000 on having some sort of bubble wrap stuck on the external
wall and then rendered over. If repointing is all that would be
required I would hope we could get this done for a good deal less.

The reason we think that it is condensation is that the mould and
paint flaking are happening behind units (placed in the alcoves). It
also seems to rise up slightly in the corners.

Would you be able to explain how water would get it due to poor
pointing? Would we not expect the moitsure to appear frther up the
wall?

Thanks again

E.Varnell

Hi Again EMV,

I think this site gives answers to your questions:

http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/dampfaq.htm

Hope it explains things a bit better than me rambling on about it. :-))

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

dishwasher problems Angela UK diy 14 July 16th 03 10:22 PM
Ariston STYX Combi boiler problems Sharma UK diy 5 July 15th 03 11:15 PM