Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY still exists

In a moment of folly, after the boiler had been serviced, I
decided to put small wheels on the 8ft tall boiler cabinet UGH! I tried
appliance rollers, but they were too wide. I could only buy small 20mm
dia castors which swivel, from Toolstation, so had to fabricate locking
collars for the castors to fix the direction. So I did this and mounted
them on blocks of wood and then into the cabinet. We had to get the
cabinet laid out flat, Mrs Capitol is very strong, all 110lbs of her..
Because the floor around the boiler is uneven, I had to use packing
pieces under the castors for height adjustment. I measured 6 times and
mounted the castors, yes you guessed right, the cabinet was 3mm too tall
to go back in. So back to a tilted cabinet and remove 3mm of the
packing pieces with screws which were too tight and try again. At this
point the dummer plugs holding the top cabinet to the lower cabinet
sheared. Bugger. I really appreciated the 50n years of stock in my crap
collection! Any way, we righted the cabinet and pushed it back into
position. It wouldn't go. Turns out I'd fitted the bottom cladding with
zero tolerance 40 years ago and the new base of the cabinet was 2mm
wider than the original so the adjacent cladding fouled. Back to the
bandsaw and the cladding is now 3mm shorter and the cabinet fits. We
finally put the doors back on today and restacked the cupboards. Just
fitting the wheels we reckon took a total of 20 hours mostly spent at
floor level. DIY is fun?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes research your project thou before starting next time.

grin.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/14/2017 7:48 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes research your project thou before starting next time.

grin.
Brian

Oh come on, problems appearing out of nowhere are half the fun.

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

I measured 6 times and mounted the castors, yes you guessed right,
the cabinet was 3mm too tall to go back in. So back to a tilted
cabinet and remove 3mm of the packing pieces with screws which
were too tight and try again.

How did you defeat Pythagoras? Seems to me if the unit is only a couple
of mm shy of the ceiling, you ain't gonna be able to tilt it.

There are rooflights in the kitchen, fortunately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 August 2017 19:51:16 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 8/14/2017 7:48 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes research your project thou before starting next time.

grin.
Brian

Oh come on, problems appearing out of nowhere are half the fun.

:-)

So where's the other half of the fun coming from ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2017 4:59 PM, Capitol wrote:

[...]

Damn, yeah. :-) A solution is satisfying, regardless.