Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amazon etc

I can't be the only one thoroughly ****ed off with the dreadfully
inadequate search in Amazon, ebay and aliexpress etc.

I want something unusual in a dinner fork, prongs that arent all
that long, 30mm instead of some of the more bizarre 50mm or
more, 200mm overall length, stainless steel, and decent solid
design with a weight of about 60g.

All that in the one fork isnt all that common for some reason,
and its impossible to actually restrict the search to that. With
Amazon it isnt even possible to restrict the search to just
dinner forks alone, let alone the other stuff or even just
international delivery either.

Anyone worked out some way around this fiasco ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 August 2017 23:57:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
I can't be the only one thoroughly ****ed off with the dreadfully
inadequate search in Amazon, ebay and aliexpress etc.

I want something unusual in a dinner fork, prongs that arent all
that long, 30mm instead of some of the more bizarre 50mm or
more, 200mm overall length, stainless steel, and decent solid
design with a weight of about 60g.

All that in the one fork isnt all that common for some reason,
and its impossible to actually restrict the search to that. With
Amazon it isnt even possible to restrict the search to just
dinner forks alone, let alone the other stuff or even just
international delivery either.

Anyone worked out some way around this fiasco ?

Sometimes it's best to use google to search amazon etc instead.
But wrt prong length, I'd be surprised if anyone's recorded relevant data. You might have to regrind some.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 23:57:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
I can't be the only one thoroughly ****ed off with the dreadfully
inadequate search in Amazon, ebay and aliexpress etc.

I want something unusual in a dinner fork, prongs that arent all
that long, 30mm instead of some of the more bizarre 50mm or
more, 200mm overall length, stainless steel, and decent solid
design with a weight of about 60g.

All that in the one fork isnt all that common for some reason,
and its impossible to actually restrict the search to that. With
Amazon it isnt even possible to restrict the search to just
dinner forks alone, let alone the other stuff or even just
international delivery either.

Anyone worked out some way around this fiasco ?

Sometimes it's best to use google to search amazon etc instead.

Yeah, just tried that after posting that, but in some ways its worse
than amazon's search for some reason and with neither of them
and you do any sort of say 175mmlength225mm type search.

Looks like I might have managed to find one, but no weight yet.
I've asked the seller the weight.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222301829794?rmvSB=true

That one was found by pure fluke because it showed up early the google
with one of the other search engines google pointed to that it no longer
even shows on the original search page.

But wrt prong length, I'd be surprised if anyone's recorded relevant data.

Yeah, even weight is hardly ever listed, mostly just 'heavy weight' at times
with some with one of the reviewers saying that its only mid weight for
them.

You might have to regrind some.

Hopefully not if that one has a heavy enough handle.
Looks like it does from the pic, looks quite thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:05:52 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

I found some.

Then I realised who was asking. What a waste of time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
I can't be the only one thoroughly ****ed off with the dreadfully
inadequate search in Amazon, ebay and aliexpress etc.
I want something unusual in a dinner fork, prongs that arent all
that long, 30mm instead of some of the more bizarre 50mm or
more, 200mm overall length, stainless steel, and decent solid
design with a weight of about 60g.
All that in the one fork isnt all that common for some reason,
and its impossible to actually restrict the search to that. With
Amazon it isnt even possible to restrict the search to just dinner forks
alone, let alone the other stuff or even just international delivery
either.
Anyone worked out some way around this fiasco ?

Whoops, my massive brain fart. The trick is to do it by category
Home & Kitchen : Kitchen & Dining : Dining & Entertaining : Flatware :
Forks : Dinner Forks :
"heavy"

And then use the pics to see the ones with the type of prongs I need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

The seller has since told me that the forks are 60g so it looks like
they might be even better than the ones I was planning to add to
that I have always been very happy with. I only do the dishwasher
run when I have run out of dinner plates and have about 15 of
those, Correlles and currently only have 6 dinner forks in the set.

I use steak knives for most meals and do have a set of other dinner
forks, but they are much too light IMO and the prongs are too long.

My only real possible reservation is that the new ones might have
too small a head for the peas and corn and capsicum frozen veg
I have with most main meals as the veg with usually a roast potato.

That one was found by pure fluke because it showed up early the google
with one of the other search engines google pointed to that it no longer
even shows on the original search page.

But wrt prong length, I'd be surprised if anyone's recorded relevant
data.

Yeah, even weight is hardly ever listed, mostly just 'heavy weight' at
times
with some with one of the reviewers saying that its only mid weight for
them.

You might have to regrind some.

Hopefully not if that one has a heavy enough handle.
Looks like it does from the pic, looks quite thick.

Surprisingly few with those short prongs even
now I can see all that amazon etc offer. Didnt
realise I was unusual in preferring those till now.

Dunno why the fashion is for much longer prongs
given that you hardly ever stick them into anything
that far with a dinner fork. The shorter prongs are
much more common with what is usually called a
salad or desert fork but those are too short to be
ideal for a dinner fork IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2017 23:50, Rod Speed wrote:
I can't be the only one thoroughly ****ed off with the dreadfully
inadequate search in Amazon, ebay and aliexpress etc.
I want something unusual in a dinner fork, prongs that arent all
that long, 30mm instead of some of the more bizarre 50mm or
more, 200mm overall length, stainless steel, and decent solid
design with a weight of about 60g.
All that in the one fork isnt all that common for some reason,
and its impossible to actually restrict the search to that. With
Amazon it isnt even possible to restrict the search to just dinner forks
alone, let alone the other stuff or even just international delivery
either.
Anyone worked out some way around this fiasco ?

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contes...f012_hires.jpg

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote :
Surprisingly few with those short prongs even
now I can see all that amazon etc offer. Didnt
realise I was unusual in preferring those till now.

As you suggest - They did used to be be shorter, but now stupidly long,
my own preference is for something shorter in length. We bought a full
set of everything last year, very stylish they were, shorter prongs,
but what I hadn't realised was the handles were round, making them
awkward to grip sensibly and also far to heavy at the handle end.

We binned the lot just this week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 August 2017 14:02:57 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Rod Speed wrote :
Surprisingly few with those short prongs even
now I can see all that amazon etc offer. Didnt
realise I was unusual in preferring those till now.

As you suggest - They did used to be be shorter, but now stupidly long,
my own preference is for something shorter in length. We bought a full
set of everything last year, very stylish they were, shorter prongs,
but what I hadn't realised was the handles were round, making them
awkward to grip sensibly and also far to heavy at the handle end.

We binned the lot just this week.

give them to charity shops, there's real need out there.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:02:51 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Rod Speed wrote :
Surprisingly few with those short prongs even now I can see all that
amazon etc offer. Didnt realise I was unusual in preferring those till
now.

As you suggest - They did used to be be shorter, but now stupidly long,
my own preference is for something shorter in length. We bought a full
set of everything last year, very stylish they were, shorter prongs, but
what I hadn't realised was the handles were round, making them awkward
to grip sensibly and also far to heavy at the handle end.

We binned the lot just this week.

Good selection at Nisbets. We buy quite a bit there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Surprisingly few with those short prongs even
now I can see all that amazon etc offer. Didnt
realise I was unusual in preferring those till now.

As you suggest - They did used to be be shorter, but now stupidly long,

Yeah, that must be it, I got that set atleast 45 years ago.

my own preference is for something shorter in length. We bought a full set
of everything last year, very stylish they were, shorter prongs, but what
I hadn't realised was the handles were round, making them awkward to grip
sensibly

I've never tried any of those, sounds mad.

My new ones have rectangular handles and should be fine, I hope.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222301829794
30 day return if not

and also far to heavy at the handle end.

I doubt mine will be, they are the same weight as the old ones.
The old ones are quite different handle wise tho.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9h1o6c49d...2049.jpeg?dl=0

We binned the lot just this week.