Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic heating oil tank ruptured 2 days after fill up and very hot weather.

A few weeks ago we had a scheduled heating oil delivery to fill our tank, 2
days later I could smell fuel and saw dripping oil. The oil delivery company
came very quickly and arranged another company to pump the fuel out to a
holding tank. I think the tank was probably about 10 years old but looks in
very good condition. The rupture must have been caused by expansion (2 small
splits can be seen that are representative of inner expansion). We cannot
afford a replacement tank at the moment (the company have quoted £1700 + VAT)
and now the delivery companies insurers are asking me to accept responsibility
for the leak. I have a feeling they are going to ask me to pay for the cost of
pumping out the fuel etc., etc. Even if I found the paperwork for the tank and
it was still under warranty it would be of no use as the manufacturer has gone
out of business. I hear of some people saying that their tank has lasted 40
years + without a problem. Just wondering if I should go back to a steel tank?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...v-1230698-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Roger Owen m
Wrote in message:
[...]

Household insurance shurely....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
Roger Owen m
Wrote in message:
[...]

When we had a very small leak from a gland in the oil pipe from the tank to
the boiler, the household insurance paid for someone to investigate, clean
up the oil that had spilled into the ground and dig a proper culvert across
a concrete path with a grid above it to walk on.

The insurance assessor came to make sure that a good repair had been done,
but then condemned out steel non-bunded (ie single skin) tank which was
liable to burst as there was rust in places,

We went for another steel tank, because we' heard that plastic tanks can
split with no warning if they are damaged by sunlight. We got a bunded one
with a second skin outside the inner one, so that if the inner tank ruptures
the oil doesn't leak.

I'd refer the delivery company to your insurer - probably contents rather
than building insurance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2017 18:25, NY wrote:
"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
Roger Owen m
Wrote in message:
[...]

I believe that you do need to ensure that the base is flat and firm so
as not to put any additional strain on the tank. I think it something
odd like soap which can be used to temporarily reduce leaks from cracks.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/10/2017 10:05 AM, Michael Chare wrote:

I believe that you do need to ensure that the base is flat and firm so
as not to put any additional strain on the tank. I think it something
odd like soap which can be used to temporarily reduce leaks from cracks.

The man who serviced our boiler noticed a crack toward the top of our
plastic oil tank, and mentioned the 'rub with a bar of soap' trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking that, you might get at least half the cost that way, but
which sort of tank is a hard one. Maybe there is a reason why the
manufacturer is now out of business. I've heard a lot of stories about oil
storage tanks leaking recently. I'm not sure its the heat though, Often its
the strain internally due to the structure its on making it twist and flex
and cold and hot weather cycling over years.
I'd not go oil even if you paid me.
Still in some locations there is probably no choice.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
Roger Owen m
Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2017 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd not go oil even if you paid me.
Still in some locations there is probably no choice.

Our choice is oil, electric, or a couple of cubic metres of liquefied gas.

That last really bothers me. And next door have buried one just outside
our kitchen window...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/10/2017 8:52 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/08/2017 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd not go oil even if you paid me.
Still in some locations there is probably no choice.

Our choice is oil, electric, or a couple of cubic metres of liquefied gas.

That last really bothers me. And next door have buried one just outside
our kitchen window...

Andy

Considering the number that there are around, there seem to be very few
serious accidents.

Although LPG is, as you say, dangerous stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Alfaques_disaster