Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Just a thought re carpet fitting...Silly?

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 19:35, ss wrote:
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.

Take up smoking in bed. That way you remove the kitchen as the place
most likely to be the start of a fire.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 19:57, ARW wrote:
On 07/08/2017 19:35, ss wrote:
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.

Take up smoking in bed. That way you remove the kitchen as the place
most likely to be the start of a fire.

When flying in a plane you should take a bomb with you, as the chances
of there being two bombs on a plane are very small.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 19:35:18 UTC+1, ss wrote:

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.

Paper & underlay are obviously not fireproof. Paper is only used with foam backed carpet to stop it sticking.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining (paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

4" of concrete would, but thats a bit of overkill.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a
fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 23:08:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"ss" wrote in message

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining (paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

4" of concrete would, but thats a bit of overkill.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a
fire.

Asbestos blanket is fireproof. Hopefully no-one would ever use it for this.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

4" of concrete would, but thats a bit of overkill.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
fire.

Asbestos blanket is fireproof.

Depends on the intensity of the fire.

Hopefully no-one would ever use it for this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

4" of concrete would, but thats a bit of overkill.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there
was a
fire.

Asbestos blanket is fireproof.

Depends on the intensity of the fire.

House fires don't usually reach the melting point of asbestos.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message

Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the
carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

4" of concrete would, but thats a bit of overkill.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there
was a
fire.

Asbestos blanket is fireproof.

Depends on the intensity of the fire.

House fires don't usually reach the melting point of asbestos.

It isnt the melting point that matters, its whats happened
to the structure keeping the asbestos blanket there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 00:11:02 UTC+1, wrote:
Asbestos blanket is fireproof. Hopefully no-one would ever use it for this.

I don't see why not. It would be perfectly safe - a woven fabric enclosed in the building structure.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 00:11:02 UTC+1, wrote:
Asbestos blanket is fireproof. Hopefully no-one would ever use it for
this.

I don't see why not. It would be perfectly safe - a woven fabric enclosed
in the building structure.

Not when the carpet is changed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 09:52:10 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 00:11:02 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

Asbestos blanket is fireproof. Hopefully no-one would ever use it for this.

I don't see why not. It would be perfectly safe - a woven fabric enclosed in the building structure.

Owain

Putting asbestos blanket under carpet would not enclose it in any structure and it would release fibres. It's an obviously not sensible idea. And not worth further discussion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 23:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

I'm not convinced that it is. Even say full metal sheet under the carpet
wouldnt stop it catching fire with a hot enough fire underneath.

A whole lot of "fireproof" tower block cladding will be available from
the scrap yards soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 05:32:58 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

A whole lot of "fireproof" tower block cladding will be available from
the scrap yards soon.

I bet they destroy it instead of being sensible & selling it for low rise use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:35:12 +0100, ss wrote:

Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay ...

What's this "fireproof lining (paper)"? Something intumescent? A
quick google doesn't return anything that appears to be a floor
covering.

Assuming something would be available.

Ah...

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.

I suppose something that sealed the floor might give you a few more
minutes but a rate of rise "smoke" alarm in the kitchen linked to the
others around the house would alert you well before anything
intumescent was swelling up.

I think the polyurethane chip underlay is impervious to smoke so
using that as the underlay would effectively seal the floor. I'd not
use any rubber based underlay these days.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought the place for fire proofing would be the ceiling of the
room below, as if the fire is hot enough to possibly set the carpet alight
surely the wood bits suspending the floor and the floor itself would have
been compromised by the time it got to your underlay.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ss" wrote in message
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining (paper)
on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is underlay
generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a
fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/08/2017 08:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought the place for fire proofing would be the ceiling of the
room below, as if the fire is hot enough to possibly set the carpet alight
surely the wood bits suspending the floor and the floor itself would have
been compromised by the time it got to your underlay.
Brian

Thanks all for the input, it would seem not to be such a good idea.
It was just one of these things I got thinking about as I need to redo
the bedroom.
After Grenfell and getting older I realise I would maybe need a bit more
time to climb out a window, the curse of old age :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ss
writes
On 08/08/2017 08:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought the place for fire proofing would be the ceiling of the
room below, as if the fire is hot enough to possibly set the carpet alight
surely the wood bits suspending the floor and the floor itself would have
been compromised by the time it got to your underlay.
Brian

Thanks all for the input, it would seem not to be such a good idea.
It was just one of these things I got thinking about as I need to redo
the bedroom.
After Grenfell and getting older I realise I would maybe need a bit
more time to climb out a window, the curse of old age :-)

When our farmhouse (Victorian cottages) was done up. The architect
specified 6mm plywood to be laid over the 9" floor boarding. I think
this was intended to smooth rather than add fire resistance but, every
little, helps.
Decent, well maintained alarm as said.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 08/08/2017 08:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought the place for fire proofing would be the ceiling of the
room below, as if the fire is hot enough to possibly set the carpet
alight
surely the wood bits suspending the floor and the floor itself would have
been compromised by the time it got to your underlay.
Brian

Thanks all for the input, it would seem not to be such a good idea.
It was just one of these things I got thinking about as I need to redo the
bedroom.
After Grenfell and getting older I realise I would maybe need a bit more
time to climb out a window, the curse of old age :-)

You could install an ejector seat next to the window {-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss submitted this idea :
Thanks all for the input, it would seem not to be such a good idea.
It was just one of these things I got thinking about as I need to redo the
bedroom.
After Grenfell and getting older I realise I would maybe need a bit more time
to climb out a window, the curse of old age :-)

Replacing your bedroom door, with a firedoor might be more sensible
option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I'd have thought the place for fire proofing would be the ceiling of the
room below, as if the fire is hot enough to possibly set the carpet alight
surely the wood bits suspending the floor and the floor itself would have
been compromised by the time it got to your underlay.

Yes.

Building Control were happy to accept 150 Rockwool (needed for the
underfloor heating) in the ceiling space rather than the extra layer of
9mm plasterboard specified by the architect. Has to be supported on
stapled chicken wire so not an easy solution:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07-Aug-17 7:35 PM, ss wrote:
Maybe a stupid idea but after I paint then renew skirting in bedroom I
will be fitting a new carpet and underfelt.
Is there any benefit in laying down some sort of fireproof lining
(paper) on the floor boards before fitting carpet/underlay or is
underlay generally fireproof these days.
Assuming something would be available.

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was
a fire.

If the floor is floorboards, replacing it with 22mm T&G chipboard, with
all edges sealed with fire cavity seals, will improve the fire
resistance. However, the best place to fireproof is the ceiling of the
room below. 1 x 12.5mm layer of plasterboard will give 30 minutes fire
resistance. 1 x 15mm will give 60 minutes or 2 x 12.5mm or 2 x 15mm will
give 90 minutes.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message ...

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a fire.

Only if you've got people deep frying chips in the middle of the night.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"ss" wrote in message

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a
fire.

Only if you've got people deep frying chips in the middle of the night.

perhaps

but building regs do all revolve around the most likely place for a fire
being the kitchen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Aug-17 12:02 PM, michael adams wrote:

"ss" wrote in message ...

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a fire.

Only if you've got people deep frying chips in the middle of the night.

A few years ago, a bloke was found dead in his bedroom after coming back
from the pub, putting a chip pan on, then going upstairs. The pan caught
fire while he was in his bedroom.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message

The bedroom is above the kitchen so most likely place if ever there was a
fire.

Only if you've got people deep frying chips in the middle of the night.

And don’t have a decent smoke alarm in there in case one of the
appliances decides to catch fire and the breaker/fuse doesn’t trip etc.

only just slightly on topic: just messing around silly "project" today William Wixon Metalworking 1 February 1st 10 07:11 PM
just a thought... Nate Nagel Home Repair 10 March 29th 09 10:20 PM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
Just a thought Tom D Woodturning 6 February 2nd 06 09:01 PM
Just a thought about Part P... Al Reynolds UK diy 51 December 9th 04 09:50 PM