Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default MDF skirting

Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/17 08:01, ss wrote:
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

any of the above

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 01/08/17 08:01, ss wrote:

Adhesive, nails, screws ?
My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

any of the above

I agree with 'any of the above', but also agree screws into battens
would be preferred, the only disadvantage of screws being later removal
of the skirting, if necessary, as the screw heads will probably be
buried and filled. I would use screws anyway.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2017 09:27, Graeme wrote:

I agree with 'any of the above', but also agree screws into battens
would be preferred, the only disadvantage of screws being later removal
of the skirting, if necessary, as the screw heads will probably be
buried and filled. I would use screws anyway.

As long as the screws are magnetic they easy to locate.

My walls were a little to curved for grab adhesive alone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

Treat it exactly as you would real wood, as regards fixings.

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

My preferred method. Allows it to be removed/replaced at a later date if
ever needed. Like for an extra socket, or laminate etc floor.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2017 08:01, ss wrote:
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

Any of the above usually. MDF tends to be sightly floppier than wood, so
a bead of grab adhesive along the full length, and fix it on the high
points[1]. Fill any gaps after.

[1] That way it won't "pull in" to any dips in the wall, and end up
looking wonky.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2017 08:01, ss wrote:
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

Gun Grade expanding foam.

Give the wall and back of skirting a quick misting with water from an
atomiser or I suppose a wipe with a damp cloth, run a zig-zag bead of
foam along the skirting, wait a few moments for it to stabilise
(slightly expand) then press into place and put some weighted objects or
concrete blocks etc at intervals to hold it in situ while it goes off.
Way better than that "no-nails" Instant grab adhesive stuff that never
works.
It sets quickly and fills any gaps at the same time leaving no
nail/screw holes to attempt to fill.

Having discovered this method very recently when skirting up the new
extension rooms I'd not consider any other method again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/08/2017 16:21, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Having discovered this method very recently when skirting up the new
extension rooms I'd not consider any other method again.

Thanks all for the input, I will see how it all lines up before fixing.
Looks like it maybe a mixture of foam/grab adhesive and screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2017 16:21, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gun Grade expanding foam.

Nice non-fireproof combination there, MDF *and* foaming PU
adhesive (if that's what you mean't ?).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Nice non-fireproof combination there, MDF *and* foaming PU
adhesive (if that's what you mean't ?).

By the time skirting at floor level is catching fire, if you're not out,
you're not likely to care ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was in a building the other day with Upvc skirting. Appears to be hollow
when you tap it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ss" wrote in message
news
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I was in a building the other day with Upvc skirting. Appears to be hollow
when you tap it.

Probably concealing pipes or wires ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2017 09:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was in a building the other day with Upvc skirting. Appears to be hollow
when you tap it.
Brian

It probably is.
uPVC stuff comes in various sorts from hollow extrusions to foam filled
extrusions.

The less filling the cheaper it is too make.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/08/2017 10:22, dennis@home wrote:
It probably is.
uPVC stuff comes in various sorts from hollow extrusions to foam filled
extrusions.

The less filling the cheaper it is too make.

As I am replacing my skirting I looked at upvc on ebay, my thoughts were
knowing my luck it would over the years get dents and scratches which I
wouldnt think is to DIY repairable and start to look messy so went for
MDF instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 08:01:46 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting.
Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it.
Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

Be sure to wear face mask when cutting. The glue in it is supposed to be pretty nasty.

Bendy (kerfed?) MDF skirting - any recommendation? David UK diy 25 January 23rd 15 01:55 PM
Trav & Perk's Veneered MDF skirting Arthur2 UK diy 11 July 24th 07 08:01 PM
New Skirting board : MDF vs Timber .+ Internal corners Jack Fate UK diy 5 December 25th 06 09:27 AM
MDF Skirting john UK diy 23 September 4th 05 09:30 AM
8541 MDF Targets - MDF Under Extreme Use Tom Watson Woodworking 4 September 3rd 05 02:32 PM