Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting oil central heating

On 31/07/2017 09:07, sweetheart wrote:

OK, I probably already know the answer to this but I need someone to mansplain it in simple terms so I am sure what I am talking about:

When you fit oil central heating, what is involved?

I currently have no oil, no tank, no pipes - in fact nothing......

simple things like how do they get the oil form the tank to the boiler and from the boiler to the radiators etc please.

When we moved in to our present property, many years ago, we had oil
fired (virtually paraffin) central heating. I changed that to a
pressure jet boiler and built a little brick lean to for the boiler.
The tank I changed to a 600 gallon tank situated at the front fence,
about 90 feet from the boiler. I dug a trench for the oil pipe. We had
lots of disruption inside whilst I ran pipework and fitted new radiators.

I retained this setup after gas arrived in the village until the oil
tank began to weep oil when I had a gas boiler fitted in my "boiler
house" and connected to my plumbing. No disruption as a "mole" was used
to get the gas pipe from the street to the property.

I have just had the boiler and all the plumbing and radiators replaced
(bit old and infirm to undertake this myself now). Little disruption as
the boiler is still in the boiler house and the plumbing was done one
room at a time. I do have to get a lot of decorating done, but only
because I had fitted skirting radiators in my old system.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2017 09:07, sweetheart wrote:

OK, I probably already know the answer to this but I need someone to mansplain it in simple terms so I am sure what I am talking about:

When you fit oil central heating, what is involved?

I currently have no oil, no tank, no pipes - in fact nothing......

simple things like how do they get the oil form the tank to the boiler and from the boiler to the radiators etc please.

I know I sound daft but my OH is fixated with getting oil ( we are not on the gas grid).

I currently have electric (E7) - and frankly, whatever others think, I like it. Its simple, doesnt disrupt the house, never goes wrong and its simple for me to switch on and off and its clean.

Also, how much will it cost to buy the stuff and fit the oil heating etc? OH thinks he can do it himself but I fear this is a job with a lot of disruption.... and cost to fabric of the house and decoration etc ???

OH wont fix any of those things afterwards.

So, just a simple explanation of what is involved ( not a moral tale of costs please).

If this is a DIY job, download the installation instructions for some
boilers, e.g. Worcester. If not, get some quotes and ask what is needed.

Like a gas fired boiler, an oil fired boiler will inevitably probably be
more troublesome than an electric system. Oil fired boilers do need
annual maintenance.

These days it is very difficult to avoid having a more efficient
condensing system, but thus does mean that you need to be able to
dispose of the condensate. You also need to learn about 'system' and
'combi' boilers.

Some people like to control their heating with thermostatic radiator
valves. Personally I prefer to use a programmable thermostat which lets
me set different temperatures according to the time of day. Remote
operation may also be something that appeals to you.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2017 09:51, Chris Hogg wrote:

IMO anyone with limited DIY skills attempting to install their own
oil-fired CH system is asking for disaster.

Assuming a basic competency in plumbing and trench digging and with and
'professional' help with the boiler installation a DIY approach is
possible. The CH will require some design work for sizing radiators and
boiler capacity but these calculations are easily researched on the web.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 31/07/2017 09:51, Chris Hogg wrote:

IMO anyone with limited DIY skills attempting to install their own
oil-fired CH system is asking for disaster.

Assuming a basic competency in plumbing and trench digging and with and
'professional' help with the boiler installation a DIY approach is
possible. The CH will require some design work for sizing radiators
and boiler capacity but these calculations are easily researched on the
web.

It may not be relevant, but I was given the job of finding someone to do
a service on my son's boiler.

It was difficult.

We eventually found one. He discovered the boiler had been repaired on
behalf of the previous owners, and had the wrong size of oil supply
device (injector?) fitted as well as several other problems.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2017 10:39, Bill wrote:

It may not be relevant, but I was given the job of finding someone to do
a service on my son's boiler.

It may depend on where you live.

A friend lives in a Shropshire village without any mains gas supply and
many people have oil boilers. Finding someone to service oil
installations in that area isn't a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:58:53 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 31/07/2017 10:39, Bill wrote:

It may not be relevant, but I was given the job of finding someone to do
a service on my son's boiler.

It may depend on where you live.

A friend lives in a Shropshire village without any mains gas supply and
many people have oil boilers. Finding someone to service oil
installations in that area isn't a problem.

Doesn't Sweetheart live in Cornwall? Though gas exists in the towns
it doesn't penetrate to large areas so Oil , LPG and solid Fuel
installations are common as is the service base to support them.
If she ever goes through with it and isn't just doing her usual habit
of using this group to think aloud any reason not to then many such
areas have oil purchasing cooperatives where a few residents of say a
village order together from a supplier in bulk and get a discount.
My mother does this in Devon it does depend on everyone using amounts
oil roughly at the same time and occasionally you can get out of
sequence and need an individual order or you have too much left in the
tank to accept one but generally it works quite well.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doesn't Sweetheart live in Cornwall? Though gas exists in the towns
it doesn't penetrate to large areas so Oil , LPG and solid Fuel
installations are common as is the service base to support them.
If she ever goes through with it and isn't just doing her usual habit
of using this group to think aloud any reason not to then many such
areas have oil purchasing cooperatives where a few residents of say a
village order together from a supplier in bulk and get a discount.
My mother does this in Devon it does depend on everyone using amounts
oil roughly at the same time and occasionally you can get out of
sequence and need an individual order or you have too much left in the
tank to accept one but generally it works quite well.

As I have said before, I am sorry you find me annoying. Yes, I do live in deepest darkest rural Cornwall ( not only no gas but no drains either - septic tank provision).

My OH has not mentioned the fact it has to be serviced either. Thanks for the info.