Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do not do this

The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four
years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of
Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and
flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2017 17:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four
years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of
Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and
flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Has Mrs Pounder kicked off yet? Or is she just saying nothing for the
moment and just giving you "that look":-).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2017 17:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper)
about four years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a
bottle of Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches
and flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Has Mrs Pounder kicked off yet? Or is she just saying nothing for the
moment and just giving you "that look":-).

None of the above.
Why do you ask?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 17:45:03 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four
years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of
Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and
flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Get the paper off first.
Do a proper job this time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leave it at least three days. Been there in my youth. The paint comes off or
stays tacky.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four
years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle
of Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and
flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2017 17:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four
years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of
Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and
flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Next time use an oil-based paint, or washeable
vinyl paint.

And don't use bleach to clean it. That's what
sugar soap is for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2017 08:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Leave it at least three days. Been there in my youth. The paint comes off or
stays tacky.
Brian

When I finally got round to removing the painted, woodchip paper from
my hall and stairs I realised that I could carefully peel the whole
lot off, complete with the original underlying paint leaving nice
clean original plaster and no nicks and dings from scraping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 26/07/2017 17:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper)
about four years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke.
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a
bottle of Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.
It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches
and flakes of paint everywhere.
I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Next time use an oil-based paint, or washeable
vinyl paint.

Oil based emulsion?

And don't use bleach to clean it. That's what
sugar soap is for.

I knew that but did not have any.
Still, it only took me a couple of hours to paint it.
This has highlighted the dirt on the front door and the plastic trim stuff
which I have not noticed. Tomorrow .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of Domestos
and a nice clean wet cloth.

Why would anyone do this ?

Why would you want your hall smelling like a lavatory or a
swimming pool ?

What was wrong with a bit of washing up liquid in water
in a bowl ?

What is there on the walls of your hall that dilute
washing up liquid and a bit of elbow grease won't
shift ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a
bottle of Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth.

Why would anyone do this ?

Why would you want your hall smelling like a lavatory or a
swimming pool ?

Bleach smells very clean to my snout.
I don't think that bleach is used in a swimming pool.

What was wrong with a bit of washing up liquid in water
in a bowl ?

That does not work very well, I've tried it in the past.
Obviously you have not? Or do I have higher standards than you?

What is there on the walls of your hall that dilute
washing up liquid and a bit of elbow grease won't
shift ?

Not very much, but I do have very high standards.

michael adams