SilverR1_04

Default A/C not blowing cool air, house not cooling

My central A/C doesn't seem to be blowing cool air. It's not blowing very
hard either. Two days ago it was working perfect, I had to shut it off
because I was getting cold. The next day it wouldn't cool off at all, so I
changed the filter, (that's all I know how to do), and today, still not
getting cool.

I was thinking maybe it was just too hot outside for it to cool off in here,
(105), but I believe it was at least 100 the other day when it was fine.

I heard about checking lines for freezing, I'm not sure which lines, but I
looked at everything in the unit in the garage and saw nothing wrong. The
fan unit outside seems to be going just fine, and the breakers are not
switched.

What else is there? Refrigerent? How do I know?

Help me! It's burning up in here and it's hard on my 3 month old baby.

Red Neckerson

"SilverR1_04" wrote in message
[...]

How stupid can you be??!!!

You think someone on the internet can fix it??

Pick up the phone and call someone to fix it or I will call the police and
have you arrested for child abuse!

Joseph Meehan

SilverR1_04 wrote:
[...]

Sorry to say this, but there is little or nothing you can do based on
what you have said. It could well be the temperature, but it also could be
any of a number of other things, most of which take a licensed professional
to fix.

Your best bet is to call for service. BTW if it is 105 today, you can
bet you will be at the end of a long waiting list, unless you are a regular
customer of a service professional.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

BGBevill

could it possibly be a fuse? I know there are 2 fuses, if 1 was bad, could
the fan still come on, but no compressor? or are the 2 fuses both for the
same thing?

Probably not a fuse if both fans are running. Is one line going to the outside
unit cold and one warm? If so, the compressor is more than likely running.
That is about all I'm willing to offer based on your description of your
problem. If it is indeed 105º in your area, then your unit needs to be
operating at full capacity to keep you cool. The only way to insure that is to
have it serviced regularly, so your service call will not be a waste either way
if it has not been serviced recently.

Bobby
PrecisionMachinisT

"BGBevill" wrote in message
could it possibly be a fuse? I know there are 2 fuses, if 1 was bad,

could
the fan still come on, but no compressor? or are the 2 fuses both for the
same thing?

Probably not a fuse if both fans are running. Is one line going to the

outside
unit cold and one warm? If so, the compressor is more than likely

running.
That is about all I'm willing to offer based on your description of your
problem.

I will offer that if one line is warm and the other cool, then there is a
fair possibility the evaporator coil could be clogged with ice formation.

Shut it down, open the air handler access and look for iced coils, then
report back to us.

--

SVL

~KJPRO~

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"BGBevill" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't really matter, he doesn't have the proper tools and training to fix
the actual problem anyway.

His best bet is to call a professional service company.

~kjpro~

PrecisionMachinisT

"BGBevill" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed.......

Just that in his original post he had mentioned diminished airflow, and he
had changed out the filter.

Shoulda taken care of the problem, hence probly is best to call in a
pro.....

Still interested if its now iced up ( again ??) -- that would indicate
likely a low charge, would it not ???

--

SVL

HvacTech2

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 10-Aug-04 At About 08:06:49, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to PrecisionMachinisT
Subject: A/C not blowing cool air, house not cooling

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P Agreed.......

P Just that in his original post he had mentioned diminished airflow,
P and he had changed out the filter.

P Shoulda taken care of the problem, hence probly is best to call in a
P pro.....

P Still interested if its now iced up ( again ??) -- that would
P indicate likely a low charge, would it not ???

Not necessarily. it could also indicate low air flow due to dirty coil
or squirrel cage etc...

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "A friend of mine is in jail for counterfeiting pennies..."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Doug Boulter

"SilverR1_04" wrote on 10 Aug 2004:

My central A/C doesn't seem to be blowing cool air.

So the blower in the furnace (or the blower inside the house) is
working. Is the outside unit working? Is the fan on the outside
unit working?

If so, shut the A/C off and call for service. It's beyond your
ability to fix, and continuing to run it may turn a fairly
inexpensive repair into a very expensive new compressor.

If the fan on the outside unit isn't working, it may be that you
have blown one or both fuses in the outside fuse box near the unit.
I hesitate to tell you how to change the fuses, because it's
dangerous and you're dealing with a lot of current. It would be
better if you could call an electrician (easier to get to come out
quickly than an A/C repair person in 105 degree heat). The fuses
themselves are available at any home center, but if you're not sure
what you're doing, it's better to watch someone else replace them
the first time.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Doug Boulter

"Red Neckerson" wrote on 10 Aug 2004:

Pick up the phone and call someone to fix it or I will call the
police and have you arrested for child abuse!

No, how stupid can YOU be? Do you think that there's never been a
day as hot as 105 for the last 3000 years when air conditioning
didn't exist? Must come as a surprise to you that any civilization
exists south of 60 degrees north latitude.

If you can't help, at least don't get it the way!

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
SilverR1_04

the furnace in the garage "sounds" like it is working...well, it's making
the noise it always makes when it's on. The usit outside also seems to be
working, that is the fan is rotating. I have turned off the A/C, I will be
working late the next ciouple days anyway, I guess I will have to call for
service...

Thanks for your help guys

"Doug Boulter" wrote in message
.142...
[...]

SilverR1_04

Ha, you're just as dumb. It's 105 outside, not in the house.

"burning up in here" is an exaggeration, not like the walls are actually
catching on fire. It is not unsafe, just uncomfortable.

Since you are too stupid to understand an exaggerated comment, you are
probably too stupid to understand this explaination. So, we'll just leave
it at that.

That's what is wrong with these newsgroups, I ask a question for help, and
people reply with stupid crap like that.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Doug Boulter" wrote in message
.142...
"Red Neckerson" wrote on 10 Aug 2004:

Pick up the phone and call someone to fix it or I will call the
police and have you arrested for child abuse!

No, how stupid can YOU be? Do you think that there's never been a
day as hot as 105 for the last 3000 years when air conditioning
didn't exist? Must come as a surprise to you that any civilization
exists south of 60 degrees north latitude.

If you can't help, at least don't get it the way!

But the original poster said:

Help me! It's burning up in here and it's hard on my 3 month old baby.

Dr. Hardcrab

"SilverR1_04" wrote in message
Ha, you're just as dumb. It's 105 outside, not in the house.

"burning up in here" is an exaggeration, not like the walls are actually
catching on fire. It is not unsafe, just uncomfortable.

Since you are too stupid to understand an exaggerated comment, you are
probably too stupid to understand this explaination. So, we'll just leave
it at that.

That's what is wrong with these newsgroups, I ask a question for help, and
people reply with stupid crap like that.

Blow it out yer ass, douchebag.

*PLONK*