Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do builders care about Building Regs?

I recently posted about issues I had with a house I'm selling (an RSJ
to provide support after a previously removed chimney breast in the
kitchen).

As that house sale is progressing I now realise that I've had two lots
of work done on my new home, and in neither case did anyone mention
Building Regs:

1) In an attempt to make more space in the attic a previous owner had
removed the brick supports to the purlins resulting in a sag in the
roof.

I got structural engineers to design a correction and used builder
they recommended to implement it. Not a word about Building Regs.

2) In knocking one room into another a previous owner had left an arch
as it was at the centre of the house where the ceiling joists were
supported. The last owner didn't like the arch so they removed it.

The roofer who re-felted my flat roof said he would fix it, nice big
wooden beam locked either end into the brickwork, neatly plaster
boarded. Not a word about Building Regs.

I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 12:55:02 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.
Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

I think all you've done is repair and maintenance of the existing building isn't it?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Be worth getting a structural engineer in to look at works done and do a
report.

--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Jul-17 12:55 PM, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Building regulations approval is the responsibility of the property
owner, not the workmen employed to do the work.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I often wonder if the council care either. Many now contract this expertise
out to a private company.
I think you are now seeing how com such a litany of errors can occur. No
one person or company knows the whole picture.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 19:53:24 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

[...]

It may well be but I'd suspect that the average builder would now that
and the average householder would not.

In getting the remedial work carried out it never occured to me on an
of the occasions to ring the Council and no-one else ever raised the
issue. I'm only now aware of it because of the issues being raised
during the conveyancing.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:59:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Be worth getting a structural engineer in to look at works done and do a
report.

Didn't I say that I already did at the time? And how does that help
with the need for Building Regs?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2017 22:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
I often wonder if the council care either. Many now contract this expertise
out to a private company.
I think you are now seeing how com such a litany of errors can occur. No
one person or company knows the whole picture.

Most structural calculations have made outside of the council for a while.

I guess it's in part a liability issue but might also demonstrate the
limited abilities of planning/building officers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:59:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Be worth getting a structural engineer in to look at works done and do a
report.

Didn't I say that I already did at the time? And how does that help
with the need for Building Regs?

Sorry - thought you were referring to other work done too.

A decent structural engineer will also advise about getting retrospective
building regs approval. They tend to be well up on that sort of thing.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/07/2017 22:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
I often wonder if the council care either. Many now contract this
expertise out to a private company. I think you are now seeing how com
such a litany of errors can occur. No one person or company knows the
whole picture.

Most structural calculations have made outside of the council for a
while.

I guess it's in part a liability issue but might also demonstrate the
limited abilities of planning/building officers.

I've no experience of them recently. Could be more difficult if a
privatized facility. When got the building inspector in many years ago to
advise on some DIY modifications, he said I needed a structural engineer
to do the calcs. Which I did. The BI checked the work as I progressed with
it, based on the SE data.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:50:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:59:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Be worth getting a structural engineer in to look at works done and do a
report.

Didn't I say that I already did at the time? And how does that help
with the need for Building Regs?

Sorry - thought you were referring to other work done too.

A decent structural engineer will also advise about getting retrospective
building regs approval. They tend to be well up on that sort of thing.

The work has been done. Neither the surveyor who noticed the problems
nor the structural engineer who did the calcs nor the builder who did
the work mentioned Building Regs - hence the subject.

Sorry I thought I'd said most of that in my OP.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

when i first bought the house i got local builders (Caldicotts of Leominster) to put in an RSJ. the supports looked dodgy to me - they used exisiting brickwork which was already cracked, I called in council Building Inspector, he agreed with me, and made them come back and but concrete blocks underneath it. For no extra money

george
Posted to uk.d-i-y

a canny buyer just before completion can 'notice' the lack of paperwork and make you knock down many thousands from the price
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2017 12:55, AnthonyL wrote:

I recently posted about issues I had with a house I'm selling (an RSJ
to provide support after a previously removed chimney breast in the
kitchen).

As that house sale is progressing I now realise that I've had two lots
of work done on my new home, and in neither case did anyone mention
Building Regs:

From a builders PoV the less paperwork involved the better.

The decent ones will keep informed of the BR requirements and make sure
their work complies, but that does not necessarily mean that they will
necessarily want to mess about with LABC unless they feel they have to.
Having said that, some will process paperwork with them automatically
and might not think to discuss it with the customer unless they bring up
the subject.

I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Bit late by the sounds of it... There is a window of enforcement that is
usually limited to two years - so after that the LABC department is not
going to be able to instruct changes etc even if non compliant.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Depends a bit on what you are attempting to achieve.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Sorry - thought you were referring to other work done too.

A decent structural engineer will also advise about getting retrospective
building regs approval. They tend to be well up on that sort of thing.

The work has been done. Neither the surveyor who noticed the problems
nor the structural engineer who did the calcs nor the builder who did
the work mentioned Building Regs - hence the subject.

Sorry I thought I'd said most of that in my OP.

I sort of read you were unsure about the work so reluctant to contact the
council about getting the correct paperwork. If you are sure it is all
fine, and have an engineer's report saying so, all that there would be to
worry about was getting the paperwork?

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DICEGEORGE wrote:
a canny buyer just before completion can 'notice' the lack of paperwork
and make you knock down many thousands from the price [g]

And a canny seller will tell him to get stuffed.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:23:00 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/07/2017 12:55, AnthonyL wrote:

I recently posted about issues I had with a house I'm selling (an RSJ
to provide support after a previously removed chimney breast in the
kitchen).

As that house sale is progressing I now realise that I've had two lots
of work done on my new home, and in neither case did anyone mention
Building Regs:

From a builders PoV the less paperwork involved the better.

The decent ones will keep informed of the BR requirements and make sure
their work complies, but that does not necessarily mean that they will
necessarily want to mess about with LABC unless they feel they have to.
Having said that, some will process paperwork with them automatically
and might not think to discuss it with the customer unless they bring up
the subject.

I don't want a repeat of the hassle if this house is sold though the
modern day solution seems to be to buy Indemnity Insurance.

Bit late by the sounds of it... There is a window of enforcement that is
usually limited to two years - so after that the LABC department is not
going to be able to instruct changes etc even if non compliant.

Or should I just bite the bullet and ring the Council?

Depends a bit on what you are attempting to achieve.

I'm trying to achieve avoidance of hassle if I sell, or in due course,
my executors or my wife, sell this house.

I'm personally satisfied the work is satisfactory - the purlin work
was done in accordance with structural engineer calcs, and the wooden
beam (now plaster board enclosed) is massive (8" x 4" for a 6'6" span)
and well embedded into the brickwork either side. I've also got lots
of photos of both sets of work being done.

If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

And I've had the work done without Council approval, are they likely
to take issue with that?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 04:17:29 -0700 (PDT), DICEGEORGE
wrote:

when i first bought the house i got local builders (Caldicotts of Leominste=
r) to put in an RSJ. the supports looked dodgy to me - they used exisiting =
brickwork which was already cracked, I called in council Building Inspector=
, he agreed with me, and made them come back and but concrete blocks undern=
eath it. For no extra money

But again, as per my subject, the work was done without prior
approval.

Wasn't the Building Inspector somewhat peeved?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 20/07/2017 12:55, AnthonyL wrote:

I recently posted about issues I had with a house I'm selling (an RSJ
to provide support after a previously removed chimney breast in the
kitchen).

As that house sale is progressing I now realise that I've had two lots
of work done on my new home, and in neither case did anyone mention
Building Regs:

From a builders PoV the less paperwork involved the better.

[...]

There is only a limited amount you can do at this stage. You could
investigate if building notices exist for any of these works, and
enquire about "regularisation" if not. This may involve demonstrating
that the work would have met the regs in force at the time, and them
issuing a completion cert saying that it would have passed had they been
asked. (for a fee of course)

I'm personally satisfied the work is satisfactory - the purlin work
was done in accordance with structural engineer calcs, and the wooden
beam (now plaster board enclosed) is massive (8" x 4" for a 6'6" span)
and well embedded into the brickwork either side. I've also got lots
of photos of both sets of work being done.

If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

What is the worst they can do? Basically say "nope not got any building
notices", and "yup there should have been".

When it comes time to sell, the same would be revealed in the
conveyancing process, at which point the discussion becomes something
like "well its a sound job and has been standing for 25 years with no
evidence of a problem". Some might want indemnity insurance, although
its unclear exactly to who's benefit this is (other than the insurers!)

And I've had the work done without Council approval, are they likely
to take issue with that?

Was it more than a couple of years ago? If so, who cares, nothing they
could do about it (with some limited exceptions where your work is
putting the general public in immediate danger etc).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21-Jul-17 9:25 AM, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 19:53:24 +0100, Nightjar

Building regulations approval is the responsibility of the property
owner, not the workmen employed to do the work.

It may well be but I'd suspect that the average builder would now that
and the average householder would not.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

In getting the remedial work carried out it never occured to me on an
of the occasions to ring the Council and no-one else ever raised the
issue. I'm only now aware of it because of the issues being raised
during the conveyancing.

I have had quite a lot of building work done over the years, including
some that needed planning permission and/or building regulations
approval. None of the builders concerned have ever asked whether the
work was approved, nor would I expect them to.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:56:13 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/07/2017 14:22, AnthonyL wrote:

And I've had the work done without Council approval, are they likely
to take issue with that?

Was it more than a couple of years ago? If so, who cares, nothing they
could do about it (with some limited exceptions where your work is
putting the general public in immediate danger etc).

The work on the house I'm in the process of selling was done in 1986
and 1987. Conveyancing folk want indemnity insurance.

The work in the house I'm now living in was done last year.

Both sets of work were remedial (replacing supports that idiots had
taken out).

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/17 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

That trumps a building inspector.

Send that to their lawyers and if they srill want insurance tell them to
buy it themselves

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2017 14:22, AnthonyL wrote:

And I've had the work done without Council approval, are they likely
to take issue with that?

Was it more than a couple of years ago? If so, who cares, nothing they
could do about it (with some limited exceptions where your work is
putting the general public in immediate danger etc).

The work on the house I'm in the process of selling was done in 1986
and 1987. Conveyancing folk want indemnity insurance.

I was involved in helping someone sell a house a while back and two
issues were raised of a similar nature. One was to do with windows that
*may* have been replaced in the time frame where fensa certs would have
been required, and the second was to do with a very old (i.e. over 100
years) case where there was a remote possibility the place was built on
"contaminated" land.

The instructions from the solicitor on the second one was don't even
contact the council about it because that alone would invalidate any
insurance. The first one they just expected the vendor to pay. In the
end the vendor paid for the contaminated land indemnity, and told the
buyers they could buy their own for the windows if they though it was of
any value! Nothing more was said on that ;-)

The work in the house I'm now living in was done last year.

So in a years time no enforcement action would be viable anyway even if
the work was substandard (which its unlikely to be anyway). The process
of regularisation (i.e. fixing the paperwork after the fact) would be
the same now as in five years time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

As Always, say nothing to anybody is best.
The last thing you want is busybodies from the council.
They are on a job creation mission these days especially. (For themselves).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 19:36:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/07/17 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

That trumps a building inspector.

Send that to their lawyers and if they srill want insurance tell them to
buy it themselves

This is for the house I bought a couple of years ago not the one I'm
just selling.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 19:44:29 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

So ignore Building Control requirements?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:22:27 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

Almost sounds sensible advice.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

So ignore Building Control requirements?

You already have - a building notice would need to have been submitted
and the fee paid prior to work starting.

(this assumes that one was actually needed for the job in question, and
that the builder did not actually notify it anyway without mentioning it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

So ignore Building Control requirements?

You already have - a building notice would need to have been submitted
and the fee paid prior to work starting.

What did you mean earlier about "regularising the work", what's the
upside and downside?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

So ignore Building Control requirements?

You already have - a building notice would need to have been submitted
and the fee paid prior to work starting.

What did you mean earlier about "regularising the work", what's the
upside and downside?

You have the engineer's calcs from when the work was done, and the work's all good. End of story. The rest is you having anxiety.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
So ignore Building Control requirements?

You already have - a building notice would need to have been
submitted and the fee paid prior to work starting.

What did you mean earlier about "regularising the work", what's the
upside and downside?

You have the engineer's calcs from when the work was done, and the
work's all good. End of story. The rest is you having anxiety.

I'm not clear if all the structural work has got an engineer's calcs,
though? Sounds like only some have, and some may be dodgy.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/2017 18:41, AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:43:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
If I contact the Council now they could make it it awkward, I mean
previous owners have taken out purlin supports and ceiling joists
supports (how stupid I know). Are the Council likely to take issue
with them?

Which is why I suggested getting a proper engineer's report.

I've got one - I said I've got one, with all the calcs to which the
work was done. Now what?

Keep it until some point in the future should you decide to try and
regularise the work, or if during conveyancing someone suggests you buy
them an indemnity.

So ignore Building Control requirements?

You already have - a building notice would need to have been submitted
and the fee paid prior to work starting.

What did you mean earlier about "regularising the work", what's the
upside and downside?

There is a process called regularisation[1] that allows you have a
retrospective sprinkling of holy water on the paperwork for a previously
non notified building project.

The pro is that you get what is in effect a completion certificate, that
will also be registered by the LABC department. So future searches will
reveal that the work was done and officialdom is happy with it.

The down sides are it will cost money, take time, and involve various
levels of hassle. This may include needing to take apart some of the
completed work to allow hidden bits to be inspected. It may also require
that you carry out changes to anything not deemed adequate. Lastly you
would then need to make good any damage done by the inspection /
rectification process. Note that the inspection process might be easier
if you have "in progress" photographs of the work as it was carried out.

[1]
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ite_approval/4

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2017 20:22, harry wrote:
As Always, say nothing to anybody is best.
The last thing you want is busybodies from the council.
They are on a job creation mission these days especially. (For themselves).

I dropped someone in it once - I think.

Called the council to check they had PP. Was told they didn't need it,
permitted development, but there was no record of any building regs
approval...

I bought something else.

Andy