Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Council tax increase

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:06:15 +0100, Peter Johnson
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 00:35:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Council tax doesn't make sense. You buy a house and live in for 20
years, it increases in value, but you still pay the band it was in
when you bought it. You sell the house, and the new owner has to pay
a much higher band. Completely illogical.

No. The new owner only pays more if there have been changes to the
property which put it into a higher band, otherwise they pay the same.

Not what I've heard. I'm paying council tax on my house as though it's
worth what I paid for it in 2000. At the 2017 price, I should be a
couple of bands higher. If I sold it, they'd use the latest sale price.

No, it goes on the original 1991 price. If you make improvements, it
goes on what the house would have been worth if those improvements had
been in place in 1991. The current value at sale is immaterial.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Council tax doesn't make sense. You buy a house and live in for 20
years, it increases in value, but you still pay the band it was in
when you bought it. You sell the house, and the new owner has to pay
a much higher band. Completely illogical.

No. The new owner only pays more if there have been changes to the
property which put it into a higher band, otherwise they pay the same.

Not what I've heard. I'm paying council tax on my house as though it's
worth what I paid for it in 2000. At the 2017 price, I should be a
couple of bands higher. If I sold it, they'd use the latest sale price.

No, it goes on the original 1991 price. If you make improvements, it
goes on what the house would have been worth if those improvements had
been in place in 1991. The current value at sale is immaterial.

What has 1991 to do with anything?

--
Why does sour cream have an expiration date?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Council tax doesn't make sense. You buy a house and live in for 20
years, it increases in value, but you still pay the band it was in
when you bought it. You sell the house, and the new owner has to pay
a much higher band. Completely illogical.

No. The new owner only pays more if there have been changes to the
property which put it into a higher band, otherwise they pay the same.

Not what I've heard. I'm paying council tax on my house as though it's
worth what I paid for it in 2000. At the 2017 price, I should be a
couple of bands higher. If I sold it, they'd use the latest sale price.

No, it goes on the original 1991 price. If you make improvements, it
goes on what the house would have been worth if those improvements had
been in place in 1991. The current value at sale is immaterial.

Only if you tell them you made improvements.

--
Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Council tax doesn't make sense. You buy a house and live in for 20
years, it increases in value, but you still pay the band it was in
when you bought it. You sell the house, and the new owner has to pay
a much higher band. Completely illogical.

No. The new owner only pays more if there have been changes to the
property which put it into a higher band, otherwise they pay the same.

Not what I've heard. I'm paying council tax on my house as though it's
worth what I paid for it in 2000. At the 2017 price, I should be a
couple of bands higher. If I sold it, they'd use the latest sale price.

No, it goes on the original 1991 price. If you make improvements, it
goes on what the house would have been worth if those improvements had
been in place in 1991. The current value at sale is immaterial.

What has 1991 to do with anything?

1991 was when the council tax bands were set up and the values of the
houses then are what counts.

Houses built after that are assessed on the value they would have had if
they existed then.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I see. I shall tell my know it all neighbour she's talking ****e then.

This page confirms what you said, I assume the whole UK uses the same system as Cheshire?
http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/counc..._how_much.aspx

--
When shagging a goat you are best taking it to the edge of a cliff because they push back harder. -- Billy Connelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:20:43 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:

I was warned that an investigation could mean my house stayed the
same while other properties would be rebanded upwards

Any implication that those banded upwards would know who had requested
the investigation?

In this case it didn't happen but if if had those affected wouldn't
have known who had instigated the change unless I had told them. The
VOA could release the information as it is personal data.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is a national system.

SteveW

[ot] council tax band increase Stephen[_19_] UK diy 23 October 13th 15 10:01 PM
Council charging 150% council tax for............ bm[_2_] UK diy 225 April 8th 13 09:19 AM
empty house, council tax legin UK diy 8 January 24th 07 07:34 PM
Council tax and new ways.......... Mark UK diy 303 November 24th 05 03:40 PM
Council tax valuations Mark UK diy 92 April 9th 05 09:16 PM