Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [ot] council tax band increase

Hello,

I have posted this to the legal.moderated group but thought I would
also ask he

I have received a letter from the valuation office saying that the
house I have recently bought has been moved up a band for council tax
(from B to C). They say this is because of "improvements made by the
previous owner", though it doesn't say what they are.

I presume it is a loft conversion done almost ten years ago. It seems
rather mean imposing an increase after a delay of ten years!

Whilst a loft conversion may be an improvement, surely not all
improvements justify moving council tax band? For example, if your
house was at the bottom of band B, surely an improvement could take it
to the middle or top of band B, rather than moving it into band C?

Many of the houses on this street have loft conversions; some have
extensions too, so they ought to be worth more and yet they remain in
band B.

How do I challenge this?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

[...]

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...x-bands-change

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-appeals

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 08:49, Stephen wrote:
[...]

IIRC & IANAL, changes to a house may cause an increase in in tax band,
but it doesn't kick in until the next sale/purchase of the house

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Allan" wrote in message

IIRC & IANAL, changes to a house may cause an increase in in tax band, but it doesn't
kick in until the next sale/purchase of the house

Indeed.

"Your property is valued in one of eight property bands for council
tax purposes. The band that your property is in is based on its
value on 1st April 1991. C

If you make any improvements and alterations, such as building
extensions and conservatories which could otherwise increase the
value of the property, we will only consider these for council
tax purposes if you then sell the property. The new owner would
become liable for the increased charge if the property is re-banded.
We would also consider such alterations if a complete council tax
re-banding took place."

http://www.derby.gov.uk/advice-and-b...l-tax-appeals/

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 9:50:42 AM UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Allan" wrote in message

IIRC & IANAL, changes to a house may cause an increase in in tax band, but it doesn't
kick in until the next sale/purchase of the house

Indeed.

"Your property is valued in one of eight property bands for council
tax purposes. The band that your property is in is based on its
value on 1st April 1991. C

If you make any improvements and alterations, such as building
extensions and conservatories which could otherwise increase the
value of the property, we will only consider these for council
tax purposes if you then sell the property. The new owner would
become liable for the increased charge if the property is re-banded.
We would also consider such alterations if a complete council tax
re-banding took place."

Worth bearing in mind when you buy a house if it has had recent alterations. Perhaps the solicitor / conveyancer should tell you about a possible re-banding when they do the "searches".

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 02:47:25 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

Worth bearing in mind when you buy a house if it has had recent
alterations. Perhaps the solicitor / conveyancer should tell you about a
possible re-banding when they do the "searches".

It takes two seconds to search for yourself.
https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 11:05:11 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 02:47:25 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

Worth bearing in mind when you buy a house if it has had recent
alterations. Perhaps the solicitor / conveyancer should tell you about a
possible re-banding when they do the "searches".

It takes two seconds to search for yourself.
https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

Ah, they show an "improvement indicator". I wonder how reliable that is. Looking that up for my post code all the houses are in the same band. The two with improvement indicators haven't obviously had any more recent improvements than the others. I wonder if they applied for any planning permissions that tipped off the council ?

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You have just answered your own question, but finding an owner willing to
say they are still in the lower band to the council might well be a problem
as they will assume what would in fact happen is that they would be moved up
as well.
I was talking to somebody high yup in the council here, and they told me
that there is a lot of work going on at the moment to get houses into the
right band, ie higher, so they can claw back some money.
You may in the end find you are on a loser here, at least in the long term
Google has a lot to answer for!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:15:41 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

You have just answered your own question, but finding an owner willing
to say they are still in the lower band to the council might well be a
problem as they will assume what would in fact happen is that they would
be moved up as well.

It isn't the council who determine the bands, but the VOA - an
independent national body. And they already know what band every single
property in the UK is in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 08:49:56 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I have received a letter from the valuation office saying that the house
I have recently bought has been moved up a band for council tax (from B
to C). They say this is because of "improvements made by the previous
owner", though it doesn't say what they are.

Did the place have an "Improvement Index" flag against the CT band when
you were looking at it?

Actually, let me rephrase that. The place would have had an "Improvement
Index" flag against it. Did you bother to find that out or understand
what it meant as part of your due diligence during the buying process?

I presume it is a loft conversion done almost ten years ago. It seems
rather mean imposing an increase after a delay of ten years!

Re-banding because of extensions or improvements is only done when the CT
payer changes. Always has been since CT was introduced nearly 25 years
ago.

Whilst a loft conversion may be an improvement, surely not all
improvements justify moving council tax band? For example, if your house
was at the bottom of band B, surely an improvement could take it to the
middle or top of band B, rather than moving it into band C?

Yep. Which is why they use local comparable properties to help them judge
how the extension would have revalued it back at 1991 values.

How do I challenge this?

If you bother to read the letter, it tells you how to appeal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Actually, let me rephrase that. The place would have had an "Improvement
Index" flag against it. Did you bother to find that out or understand
what it meant as part of your due diligence during the buying process?

If you bother to read the letter, it tells you how to appeal.

I watched Doc Martin last night. He is seeing a psychologist because his
unnecessarily abrasive attitude and downright bad manners suggest the is
some sort of psychological issue that he needs to resolve.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

Actually, let me rephrase that. The place would have had an "Improvement
Index" flag against it. Did you bother to find that out or understand
what it meant as part of your due diligence during the buying process?
If you bother to read the letter, it tells you how to appeal.

I watched Doc Martin last night. He is seeing a psychologist because his
unnecessarily abrasive attitude and downright bad manners suggest the is
some sort of psychological issue that he needs to resolve.

Doc Martin isn't real you know.

Well **** me drunk. I always thought it was.

The character appears to have
Asperger's Syndrome or is Autistic. The likelihood of someone with
those disorders becoming a GP are minute.

Yes, it's a fictional TV programme. But I can still use it to make a
point, or to explain a point. Most great literature is fictional but we
still use it that way. In the fictional framework the author tells us
some truth about ourselves. That's how I was using it. Do you understand
what I'm saying?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

[...]

No. Perhaps you can explain better via an episode of Noddy...

One morning when Noddy was still in his little bed there was a loud
knocking on his little front door. It was Big Ears! His face was bright
red and he seemed to be very angry. He came into Noddy's little house in
his dirty boots, without Noddy even inviting him, and he stood in the
hall saying some words that Noddy had never heard before.

"What on Earth has made you so angry?" asked Noddy over his shoulder, as
he stood doing something he needed to do urgently, because he had been
down at the Little Boozer the night before and he had drunk a lot of
beer. Then he said, to himself, "Ahh, that's better! and he shook the
drops off, but some still went on his little pyjama bottoms.

"I'll tell you what's made me so jolly angry!" exclaimed Big Ears. "I've
just been looking at the newsgroups and this jolly silly fellow clearly
hadn't read the paperwork when he had bought his house! That makes me so
mad! Soooo maaaaad!" With that he rushed in Noddy's little kitchen and
picked up the big meat cleaver that Noddy used when he had some roadkill.

"I say Big Ears!" exclaimed Noddy. "Be careful with that, old chap! It's
rather sharp!" But it was too late and Big Ears swung the cleaver round
and chopped Noddy's head completely off! There was rather a mess, with
blood everywhere. What will Noddy's little cleaning lady say?

Later that day some policemen took Big Ears to the little Prison, but
after a few days he was let off as long as he went on an anger
management course. Unfortunately no-one thought to stop Big Ears calling
at a cleaver shop on his way to the course.

So you see boys and girls, never let silly people on the newsgroups wind
you up.

Enid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

Actually, let me rephrase that. The place would have had an "Improvement
Index" flag against it. Did you bother to find that out or understand
what it meant as part of your due diligence during the buying process?

If you bother to read the letter, it tells you how to appeal.

I watched Doc Martin last night. He is seeing a psychologist because his
unnecessarily abrasive attitude and downright bad manners suggest the is
some sort of psychological issue that he needs to resolve.

Doc Martin isn't real you know. The character appears to have
Asperger's Syndrome or is Autistic. The likelihood of someone with
those disorders becoming a GP are minute.

Ha! There speaks someone who's never trained as a doctor. As someone who
has, I can assure you that weirdos DO go through the system (and graduate).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim+
writes
Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

Actually, let me rephrase that. The place would have had an "Improvement
Index" flag against it. Did you bother to find that out or understand
what it meant as part of your due diligence during the buying process?

If you bother to read the letter, it tells you how to appeal.

I watched Doc Martin last night. He is seeing a psychologist because his
unnecessarily abrasive attitude and downright bad manners suggest the is
some sort of psychological issue that he needs to resolve.

Doc Martin isn't real you know. The character appears to have
Asperger's Syndrome or is Autistic. The likelihood of someone with
those disorders becoming a GP are minute.

Ha! There speaks someone who's never trained as a doctor. As someone who
has, I can assure you that weirdos DO go through the system (and graduate).

As someone who is married to a doctor I'd have to agree.

Certainly seem to be plenty of doctors with autistic tendencies, though
I suspect they don't tend to end up as GP's so much, more likely
surgeons :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonno" wrote in message
Chris French scribbled

In message , Tim+
writes
Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

[...]

I purposely said GPs, as I know from personal experience the real
unfeeling ****s become surgeons.

Not always. Plenty of the real unfeeling ****s never get
the chance to become a surgeon for all sorts of reasons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2015 23:50, Jonno wrote:
Chris French scribbled

In message , Tim+
writes
Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

Adrian wrote:

[...]

And isn't that part of the point of Doc Martin? - He *did* train as a
surgeon but couldn't carry on with his blood issues. So quite right for
him to be an unfeeling ****.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 08:49, Stephen wrote:

Whilst a loft conversion may be an improvement, surely not all
improvements justify moving council tax band? For example, if your
house was at the bottom of band B, surely an improvement could take it
to the middle or top of band B, rather than moving it into band C?

Indeed and that happens as well. When I did a loft conversion, I
received formal notification that the CT band was unchanged.

Many of the houses on this street have loft conversions; some have
extensions too, so they ought to be worth more and yet they remain in
band B.

until next time they are sold...

Also if some of those have work that was done without a building notice
etc, then that would would be "invisible" from officialdom.

--
Cheers,

John.