Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why do microwaves shut off 15 seconds early?

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the timer. What's the reason for this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the
timer. What's the reason for this?

How does it manage a 10 second blast?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 16:18:56 +0100, alan_m wrote:

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the
timer. What's the reason for this?

How does it manage a 10 second blast?

It only does the 15 second shut off for longer times. Definitely on a 10 minute run.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think this only happens on lower than full power settings. This is because
a Magnetron has no power setting and the power is derived from the duty
cycle of ons and offs and often the off time is in work when the timer ends.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the
timer. What's the reason for this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the
timer. What's the reason for this?

Do you mean it pings/beeps and the light goes out at the 15 second
point? I assume you have a fancy microwave with a digital timer rather
than a simple rotary knob like mine. All the same, I think mine stops at
the correct time as far as I can tell.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, mine will do that too on low power, cycle on and off during the whole cooking time. But this is on full power I'm getting the 15 seconds off, only at the end. I hear the magnetron stop, and I've noticed the power consumption drops to almost zero (just enough for the light, fan, and turntable motor).

Testing.... doesn't do it on 1 minute cooking time. Or 2 minutes. It does do it on 5 minutes and 10 minutes.

Perhaps it's to allow frothed up food to calm down before the user takes it out?

I noticed something else while testing. It uses 1.45 kW to start with, then gradually lowers to 1.25 kW. I thought at first it was being clever and lowering the power as the food got hotter so it didn't boil over, but starting another cooking cycle with cold water or with already hot water changes nothing. It seems to use less power when the oven itself is warmer. The magnetron gets more efficient or tired perhaps?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:33:20 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I think this only happens on lower than full power settings. This is because
a Magnetron has no power setting and the power is derived from the duty
cycle of ons and offs and often the off time is in work when the timer ends.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:46:06 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the
timer. What's the reason for this?

Do you mean it pings/beeps and the light goes out at the 15 second
point? I assume you have a fancy microwave with a digital timer rather
than a simple rotary knob like mine. All the same, I think mine stops at
the correct time as far as I can tell.

Yes it's a digital one. If I set it to cook on full power for 10 minutes, it runs the light, fan, turntable, and magnetron for 9 minutes 45, then the magnetron goes off but everything else still running for 15 seconds, then it shuts off fully and bleeps.

As I said to Brian:

It doesn't do it on 1 minute cooking time. Or 2 minutes. It does do it on 5 minutes and 10 minutes. Perhaps it's to allow frothed up food to calm down before the user takes it out?

I noticed something else while testing. It uses 1.45 kW to start with, then gradually lowers to 1.25 kW. I thought at first it was being clever and lowering the power as the food got hotter so it didn't boil over, but starting another cooking cycle with cold water or with already hot water changes nothing. It seems to use less power when the oven itself is warmer. The magnetron gets more efficient or tired perhaps?

--
China has outlawed sexual harassment.
This will make work conditions much more bearable during those 16 hour days at the sweat shop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 16:03:00 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the timer. What's the reason for this?

Perhaps you are looking at the question the wrong way, and you should
be asking "Why does the cooling fan (and light) continue to run after
the magnetron turns off", that would of course be a sensible thing to
do. You, as a manufacturer might also want to create the illusion that
these 15 seconds are included in the cooking indicated time and not
tagged on afterwards as some users would correlate the fan noise with
the "nuclear death rays" inside.

Did you know that no microwave radiation is produced for the initial 3
seconds of the indicated cooking time, as it takes that long for the
magnetron to warm up?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Perhaps it's to allow frothed up food to calm down before the user takes
it out?

Yes I was wondering that too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of the timer. What's the reason for this?

Perhaps you are looking at the question the wrong way, and you should
be asking "Why does the cooling fan (and light) continue to run after
the magnetron turns off", that would of course be a sensible thing to
do.

Doesn't sound sensible to me. Once the cooking is done, the whole thing should shut off. And if it's going to blow steam out for a bit, it should still bleep to tell the user they can take the food.

You, as a manufacturer might also want to create the illusion that
these 15 seconds are included in the cooking indicated time

So the user is actually cooking the food for less time than they think? That's insane.

and not
tagged on afterwards as some users would correlate the fan noise with
the "nuclear death rays" inside.

Since the death rays switch off as soon as the door is opened, what's the problem? If I take the food out early, I just open the door, I don't press "cancel" first. I recently used my neighbour's oven when I was round there, and was surprised to find the damn thing came back on (empty) when I shut the door afterwards! I think it was one of those antique things with a mechanical dial.

Did you know that no microwave radiation is produced for the initial 3
seconds of the indicated cooking time, as it takes that long for the
magnetron to warm up?

3 seconds isn't much, but 15 is.

--
Why is there no Disneyland in China?
No one's tall enough to go on the good rides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:56:21 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Perhaps it's to allow frothed up food to calm down before the user takes
it out?

Yes I was wondering that too.

It's usually the dish that burns my fingers, not the food. A lot of crockery seems to contain something that absorbs microwaves, and ends up hotter than the food.

--
If there's a fire why not just open the fire exit to let it out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My microwave turns off the magnetron 15 seconds before the end of
the timer. What's the reason for this?

Perhaps you are looking at the question the wrong way, and you should
be asking "Why does the cooling fan (and light) continue to run after
the magnetron turns off", that would of course be a sensible thing to
do. You, as a manufacturer might also want to create the illusion that
these 15 seconds are included in the cooking indicated time and not
tagged on afterwards as some users would correlate the fan noise with
the "nuclear death rays" inside.

Did you know that no microwave radiation is produced for the initial 3
seconds of the indicated cooking time, as it takes that long for the
magnetron to warm up?

Hucker is trolling. It really is best to ignore the turd.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's right, but it wouldn't be the first time a kitchen aplience has
told me lies. I had a Bosch fridge freezer with a control panel that
was perfectly capable of indicating the tempratures with a resoluton
of 1 C deg but it waited until there was a change of 5 C degs before
updating the displays.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds faulty to me, I can't see Bosch making something that ****.

--
What do you call 4 sheep tied to a post in Wales?
A leisure centre!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mine does the exact same thing ,,,, on high power ...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...y-1219500-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 01:45, fred wrote:
mine does the exact same thing ,,,, on high power ...

I strong recommend you read this before you reply again to to a 3 year
old post:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes that is a relatively young post, I've seen them go back over 10 years
simply because the platform being used sorts by date but seems to not care
about years.
Incidentally, I'd dispute the actual content in that message, some may well
do that but mine does not.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please