Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi router

I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the Aldi one looks like it could be a good buy. Does anybody have experience with this one? In particular, what size cutters does it take - there's no indication on thr box if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message

I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the Aldi one looks like it
could be a good buy. Does anybody have experience with this one? In particular, what size
cutters does it take - there's no indication on thr box if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch

--
Mike Clarke

According to the web page 3 collets are supplied

With this 1250W Workzone Router, you can make elaborate cuts, shaped grooves and hollows
with ease.

Accessories Included
a.. 1 x Centre pin
a.. 1 x Parallel guide
a.. 1 x Template guide
a.. 1 x Depth guide
a.. 1 x Spanner
a.. 3 x Collets: 6/8 mm / 1/4"
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-rout...94835138604500

Although with the size of the motor you might expect it to take 1/2 bits.
But it seems not.

Aldi tools are always much better for the price than you might expect IMO.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 16:32, Mike Clarke wrote:

I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the Aldi one looks like it could be a good buy. Does anybody have experience with this one? In particular, what size cutters does it take - there's no indication on thr box if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch

Previous offerings have been 1/4"
The are also selling a router table which in the past didn't match the
router they sold at the same time. The body of the router was longer
than the height of the table!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 16:32, Mike Clarke wrote:

I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the
Aldi one looks like it could be a good buy.

Can't see it on the web at the mo, so can't really comment.

Does anybody have
experience with this one? In particular, what size cutters does it
take - there's no indication on thr box if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch

Past offers suggest you might get 1/4" + 6mm and 8mm collets with it.
6mm is not much use (poor choice of cutters and nothing to recommend it
over 1/4"), but the 8mm gives access to some larger cutters that are not
available on the smaller shank sizes.

Probably not a bad choice for a first medium sized router, although its
likely to lack finesse in the fine adjustment department.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 June 2017 02:38:19 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Past offers suggest you might get 1/4" + 6mm and 8mm collets with it.
6mm is not much use (poor choice of cutters and nothing to recommend it
over 1/4"), but the 8mm gives access to some larger cutters that are not
available on the smaller shank sizes.

Probably not a bad choice for a first medium sized router, although its
likely to lack finesse in the fine adjustment department.

Thanks, I wasn't sure from the instore details if the collets were for reducing a 1/2 inch capacity for 1/4 cutters or if they represented the only sizes of cutters that could be used.

It would have been good if it was 1/2 inch because I already have some 1/2 inch cutters left from an old, now dead, router but despite that it's looking like a good buy for my limited use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:38:19 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/06/2017 16:32, Mike Clarke wrote:

I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the
Aldi one looks like it could be a good buy.

Can't see it on the web at the mo, so can't really comment.

Does anybody have
experience with this one? In particular, what size cutters does it
take - there's no indication on thr box if it's 1/2 or 1/4 inch

Past offers suggest you might get 1/4" + 6mm and 8mm collets with it.
6mm is not much use (poor choice of cutters and nothing to recommend it
over 1/4"), but the 8mm gives access to some larger cutters that are not
available on the smaller shank sizes.

Probably not a bad choice for a first medium sized router, although its
likely to lack finesse in the fine adjustment department.

--
Cheers,

John.

On the contrary 8mm is much superior to 1/4" IMHO and I have no trouble sourcing cutters. It can provide an alternative to 1/2" for use in a smaller machine. I have snapped 1/4" its in the past but never an 8mm. In the hand the difference is more obvious. Its a common size in Europe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 09:26, fred wrote:
[...]

Erm, I think that is kind of what I just said!

I suggested that *6mm* is of limited benefit - less availability of
cutters, and weaker than 1/4". 8mm is stronger than 1/4" and hence can
handle larger cutters / more aggressive cuts.

use in a smaller machine. I have snapped 1/4" its in the past but
never an 8mm. In the hand the difference is more obvious. Its a
common size in Europe

Yup 8mm has its uses if you don't have access to a 1/2" machine.

Having said that, I have never snapped off a 1/4" router bit... damaged
a couple on screws etc though.

If you are looking for a good range of cutters, then what is available
in the US is perhaps more important, but non imperial is far less common
there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 3:34:20 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/06/2017 09:26, fred wrote:
[...]

Whoops I misread your post. Apologies
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 21 June 2017 02:38:19 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Past offers suggest you might get 1/4" + 6mm and 8mm collets with it.
6mm is not much use (poor choice of cutters and nothing to recommend it
over 1/4"), but the 8mm gives access to some larger cutters that are not
available on the smaller shank sizes.

Probably not a bad choice for a first medium sized router, although its
likely to lack finesse in the fine adjustment department.

Thanks, I wasn't sure from the instore details

What inshore details would those be Mike ?

According to your original post the only indication you had of cutter
sizes was from the box.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 09:15, Mike Clarke wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 June 2017 02:38:19 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Past offers suggest you might get 1/4" + 6mm and 8mm collets with
it. 6mm is not much use (poor choice of cutters and nothing to
recommend it over 1/4"), but the 8mm gives access to some larger
cutters that are not available on the smaller shank sizes.

Probably not a bad choice for a first medium sized router, although
its likely to lack finesse in the fine adjustment department.

Thanks, I wasn't sure from the instore details if the collets were
for reducing a 1/2 inch capacity for 1/4 cutters or if they
represented the only sizes of cutters that could be used.

They explicitly call them collets rather than reduction collets or
bushes, so it seems likely that its not a 1/2" machine.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-rout...94835138604500

It would have been good if it was 1/2 inch because I already have
some 1/2 inch cutters left from an old, now dead, router but despite
that it's looking like a good buy for my limited use.

Much depends on what you want to use it for. A medium sized 1/4" machine
is usually a good choice for an "all rounder". Small and light enough
for edge detailing work, big enough for light joint making etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 17:12, John Rumm wrote:
They explicitly call them collets rather than reduction collets or
bushes, so it seems likely that its not a 1/2" machine.

Thanks. I'd been unaware of the distinction between the terminology for
normal collets and reduction collets.

It would have been good if it was 1/2 inch because I already have
some 1/2 inch cutters left from an old, now dead, router but despite
that it's looking like a good buy for my limited use.

Much depends on what you want to use it for. A medium sized 1/4" machine is
usually a good choice for an "all rounder". Small and light enough for edge
detailing work, big enough for light joint making etc.

Good point, It certainly looks like it should be fine for my needs. I
doubt if it's worth bothering trying to find something which would make
use of a few existing old cutters.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 15:48, michael adams wrote:
What inshore details would those be Mike ?

According to your original post the only indication you had of cutter
sizes was from the box.

I noticed the router when I was in Aldi while away from home for a few
days and with very limited internet access - an old mobile device with
early android system that can't cope with many HTTPS websites, including
the Aldi site.

So the only info I had available was what was printed on the box
"in-store". This was very vague and from what I remember it said it had
"3 collets and 2 cutters". I remember there was some discussion here
about the capacity of these routers in the past but couldn't remember if
it had been established as 1/4" or 1/2".

Now that I'm back home with decent internet access I see from their
website https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-router-1250w/p/094835138604500
that it comes with 1/4", 6mm and 8mm collets and two 6mm cutters.

Despite not being 1/2" it certainly looks good value and should be
sufficient for my needs so I've gone ahead and ordered one online.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2017 14:29, Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Although there usually comes a point where the investment in
cutters out values the router... although by then you probably have a
selection of routers anyway. (I think I am up to 4 now!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
news
On 21/06/2017 15:48, michael adams wrote:
What inshore details would those be Mike ?

According to your original post the only indication you had of cutter
sizes was from the box.

I noticed the router when I was in Aldi while away from home for a few days and with
very limited internet access

Sorry this is my fault entirely. That and Eternal September and maybe
one or two other servers. I keep a bookmark of the Aldi offers
page

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys...popular&page=2

which I check on a regular basis, As I'm on the lookout for a
repeat offer for their 10.8 v drill driver. This is a neat liitle tool-
a small sized replica of their larger drill drivers, but with
a battery which slots into the bottom of the handle like the
magazine on a luger pistol. Rather than a big lump stuck
on the bottom. I'm looking to buy another one just for the
extra battery.

Anyway as a result of having the page bookmarked I was
able to post a link to the router page within hours of your
post . However as a I realised afterwards neither yourself
nor John can have seen it, as it never showed up on Eternal
September and maybe other servers at all. As I normally post
through Plusnet who use a Giganews feed didn't realise
this at first.

Checking the current offers there's a set of 12 bits for
£9.99 in a miniarure flight case.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-rout...94800143506300

the flight case alone would be worth a few quid IMO...

No size is given but they come with two collets.

Now compared with prices during the Trend monopoly days
nowadays they're almost giving the things away.
However 6 of those are profile bits with a bottom
bearing. Experience has cautioned me against using
cheap bits with a bottom bearing without double
checking them before every pass - which to me means removing
the plug from the socket as its not unknown for them
to come off at the most innoportune moment.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I went ahead and ordered the Aldi router. It's taken somewhat
longer than expected because the one they initially sent was missing the
cover for the bottom of the base plate. The replacement has now arrived
and certainly looks and feels like good value after a few test cuts.

Compared to more expensive routers the pressed steel guide fence seems a
bit lightweight but seems to do the job OK.

The guide bush has a rather unconventional shaped fixing plate instead
of the usual circle, this could be a minus point for a more serious user
because you're limited to just the one size bush but that's not likely
to be a problem for my fairly basic needs.

The guide fence can be turned upside down and fitted with a centre pin
to enable circles to be cut up to about 10 inch radius.

A rather odd accessory is the roller guide which can be bolted onto the
guide fence, apparently for following curved surfaces
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByLsfKjUnwirQWhSM2VsVk8wRmM or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y7zhxdlj. I would expect this will only
work if the imaginary line through the centres of the roller and cutter
is kept perpendicular to the surface of the curve being followed. In the
absence of any way of forcibly constraining this the router could easily
wander away from the desired path towards the edge of the work.

I also bought a set of Aldi's router bits. It turns out that these are
not accurately described on the website which gives the maximum speed as
30,000 rpm but they all have a maximum speed of 24,000 rpm engraved on
the shank and it's down to guesswork what number on the speed dial
corresponds to 24,000 rpm. But at only 10 quid they're a good starter set.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mike Clarke, Chicken wrote:
Good evening
I know its been a while since anyone spoke on here concerning routers

but could anyone tell me if you can connect a Aldi workzone WWR-1200/18 to a
router table ?
cheers

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1218015-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 December 2018 21:14:04 UTC, Chicken wrote:
replying to Mike Clarke, Chicken wrote:
Good evening
I know its been a while since anyone spoke on here concerning routers

but could anyone tell me if you can connect a Aldi workzone WWR-1200/18 to a
router table ?
cheers

I've never seen a router that couldn't be attached to a table, unless you'd count a dremel with a 1/8" steel routing bit. That must last all of 5 minutes on a good day.

NT