Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default birds nests in the chimney

Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to
sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it?
I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 09:50, TimW wrote:
Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to
sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it?

No there aren't.
But there are times when they will have left the nest and you can remove it.

I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autumn I'd suggest.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"TimW" wrote in message
news
Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to sweep
a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it? I don't
know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/20/2017 10:20 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:50:49 +0100, TimW wrote:

Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to
sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it?
I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w

Quite possibly jackdaws. Can you see them visiting the chimney pot? If
they were visiting recently, but not anymore, they've almost certainly
raised their brood which have fledged and flown, and the nest will be
empty. If you're concerned, I would leave it another couple of weeks
before clearing it out just to make sure they've gone. Be prepared for
an awful lot of soot and twigs to come down into the fireplace,
because jackdaws tend to return to the same chimney year after year.
Whether it's the same ones, or their offspring, or even their
offspring's offspring, I don't know, but one of our neighbour's
chimneys has had jackdaws nesting in it every year for as long as
we've been her, about 17 years.

And when you've cleared it, put a cowl on top to stop them returning
next year.

I have jackdaws (in an unused chimney), it is one of my "round tuit"
jobs to add a cowl out of season.

IIRC Jackdaws are legally vermin, so you don't *have* to be nice to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

And when you've cleared it, put a cowl on top to stop them returning
next year.

I have jackdaws (in an unused chimney), it is one of my "round tuit"
jobs to add a cowl out of season.

We too have jackdaws in an unused chimney, however ours is blocked off
(the downstairs bit has been completely removed, the top sits on
RSJs). We rather like them.

IIRC Jackdaws are legally vermin, so you don't *have* to be nice to them.

Personally I find them amusing, mostly. :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:03:06 AM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:

And when you've cleared it, put a cowl on top to stop them returning
next year.

I have jackdaws (in an unused chimney), it is one of my "round tuit"
jobs to add a cowl out of season.

We too have jackdaws in an unused chimney, however ours is blocked off
(the downstairs bit has been completely removed, the top sits on
RSJs). We rather like them.

IIRC Jackdaws are legally vermin, so you don't *have* to be nice to them.

Personally I find them amusing, mostly. :-)

--
Chris Green
·

A warning.

many years ago I was wakened in the living room by my wife shouting from the door. The room was filling up with a foul yellow smoke.

Transpired rooks had manage to push down the wire basket on the chimney and build a nest on top of it inside the chimney. As the boiler house is internal to the house and the builder had neglected to close off all the openings in the ceiing of the boiler house the fumes migrated in between the two floors.

As the smoke was oily it made a helluva mess to the living room decoration and the upstairs bedroom carpets.

I discovered the evidence of the nest in th fire box and luckily retained them for use by the insurance assesor.

All the holes in the boiler house ceiling have now been blocked off and that chimney now has a pointed basket on it instead of the original roundeed type
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 10:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:50:49 +0100, TimW wrote:

Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to
sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it?
I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w

And when you've cleared it, put a cowl on top to stop them returning
next year.

No need for a cowl, just fit a mesh bird guard.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Muddymike writes
On 20/06/2017 10:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:50:49 +0100, TimW wrote:

Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to
sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it?
I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws.

Tim w

And when you've cleared it, put a cowl on top to stop them returning
next year.

No need for a cowl, just fit a mesh bird guard.

Hmm.. won't stop the Pigeons crapping undigested cherry seeds down your
chimney to roll across the carpet:-(

--
Tim Lamb