Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Preventing Birds From Making Nests in Potted Plants and Baskets

We have a potted plant by our front door as well as a wicker basket
where we store some gardening gloves, behind the little hedge in this
pictu http://oi41.tinypic.com/4idiy0.jpg.

This year we've had three different birds make nests, two in a potted
plant one in the wicker basket. It's kind of a pain when they do this
because we can't get too near them to get stuff.

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to
discourage them from nesting here?

I did put up a sign http://oi40.tinypic.com/rw6nax.jpg but I'm not
sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other
about the good location for a nest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-06-17, sms wrote:

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to
discourage them from nesting here?

..410 gauge
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:15:06 -0700, sms
wrote:

I did put up a sign http://oi40.tinypic.com/rw6nax.jpg but I'm not
sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other
about the good location for a nest.

The sign needs to be bi-lingual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2013 11:15 AM, sms wrote:
We have a potted plant by our front door as well as a wicker basket
where we store some gardening gloves, behind the little hedge in this
pictu http://oi41.tinypic.com/4idiy0.jpg.

This year we've had three different birds make nests, two in a potted
plant one in the wicker basket. It's kind of a pain when they do this
because we can't get too near them to get stuff.

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to
discourage them from nesting here?

I did put up a sign http://oi40.tinypic.com/rw6nax.jpg but I'm not
sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other
about the good location for a nest.

You can't do anything to harass the birds, or destroy the nests unless
the birds are house sparrows, aka English sparrows, or starlings, or
more recently Eurasian collard doves. All others are protected by
federal law and probably state law.

Now that you have alerted the NSA with your posting, they will be
monitoring your home to see what type of bird terrorist you are.

I put up plastic streamers to keep the house finches from nesting in the
patio roof framing. Also stuffed bubble wrap in the locations where they
might nest.

Paul
Senior Member

Why not use something like fish net to prevent the birds from getting into the plant? If you can't get fish netting or a tennis court net, consider chicken wire.

The right size net would allow flying insects in to pollenate the plant, but not something as big as a bird.

fish net

chicken wire

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/17/2013 11:42 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

You can't do anything to harass the birds, or destroy the nests unless
the birds are house sparrows, aka English sparrows, or starlings, or
more recently Eurasian collard doves. All others are protected by
federal law and probably state law.

This is true, but I don't think that putting up a sign, or doing things
to discourage nests from being built in the first place, is illegal.

It's a bad place for nests because a cat could easily get to the nests.
They used to build nests on the cross beam that supports the roof over
the porch area which was a better place because it would have been
difficult for a cat to get up there.

I put up plastic streamers to keep the house finches from nesting in the
patio roof framing. Also stuffed bubble wrap in the locations where they
might nest.

The streamers are a good idea. I was thinking about pinwheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2013 12:06 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

The pinwheels also make noise, so might be a good deterrent.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2013 1:15 PM, sms wrote:
We have a potted plant by our front door as well as a wicker basket
where we store some gardening gloves, behind the little hedge in this
pictu http://oi41.tinypic.com/4idiy0.jpg.

This year we've had three different birds make nests, two in a potted
plant one in the wicker basket. It's kind of a pain when they do this
because we can't get too near them to get stuff.

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to
discourage them from nesting here?

I did put up a sign http://oi40.tinypic.com/rw6nax.jpg but I'm not
sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other
about the good location for a nest.

You need to use fowl language in the sign.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 5:22*pm, Red Green wrote:
IGot2P wrote :

On 6/17/2013 1:15 PM, sms wrote:
We have a potted plant by our front door as well as a wicker basket
where we store some gardening gloves, behind the little hedge in this
pictu http://oi41.tinypic.com/4idiy0.jpg.

This year we've had three different birds make nests, two in a potted
plant one in the wicker basket. It's kind of a pain when they do this
because we can't get too near them to get stuff.

Besides relocating the plant and basket is there anything we can do to
discourage them from nesting here?

I did put up a sign http://oi40.tinypic.com/rw6nax.jpg but I'm not
sure how effective it will be. Clearly the birds are tweeting each other
about the good location for a nest.

You need to use fowl language in the sign.

Clever :-)- Hide quoted text -

Definitely good for a couple of chuckles on my part. How about
providing attractive alternate housing nearby??