Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bluetoothed power tools

What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/17 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

so you can keep track of tools that are now so expensive they need
keeping track of..

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 12/06/2017 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

There is a huge number of power tool thefts from vans, the idea is yu
can disable the tool and/or track it's location.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TMH writes:
On 12/06/2017 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

There is a huge number of power tool thefts from vans, the idea is yu
can disable the tool and/or track it's location.

Hum, when I was in the US a few years ago, there were lots of thefts
of Apple laptops, iPhones, and the like from parked cars, and clearly
very precisely targetted. Someone had worked out you could tell what
was in the car by the bluetooth signals emerging.

If they haven't got this exactly right, that white van is advertising
a significant bounty to the tech savvy criminal...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, well sledghammers and nuts come to mind on this one.
How about some kind of rfid chip in the handle?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"TMH" wrote in message
news
On 12/06/2017 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

There is a huge number of power tool thefts from vans, the idea is yu can
disable the tool and/or track it's location.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, well sledghammers and nuts come to mind on this one.
How about some kind of rfid chip in the handle?
Brian

You would have to get within less than a metre with tracing equipment
for rfid to work. Less than that usually as most of the systems are
designed for 100mm range (car keys, pet chipping etc) Some industrial
systems can read a pallet ID as it passes through a warehouse door but
the tags have to be bigger too to get a decent aerial aperture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 8:06:26 AM UTC+1, TMH wrote:
On 12/06/2017 01:57, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

There is a huge number of power tool thefts from vans, the idea is yu
can disable the tool and/or track it's location.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Good to see you around Dave :-)

Metabo used to have a range with a remote locking fob, cannae find it now.

Tracking with Bluetooth isn`t going to be beyond a few meters unfortunately.

Getting your drill hacked would be annoying ;-)

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/.../0bf.jpg_large

For Brian, meme, picture of gun in holster with text
" my wife asked why I carried a gun in the house, I looked at her and said `decepticons`, She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster, it was a good time"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Tracking with Bluetooth isn`t going to be beyond a few meters unfortunately.

It claims to tell you where your phone was when it was last within 100m
of the tool.

There is *some* value to such a hint, e.g. I managed to leave my phone
in the back of a dingy 19" rack last Thursday (I'd been using it as a
torch).

By the time I realised on Friday that I didn't have it at home, the
battery was flat, but the Device manager app on my tablet could tell me
where it was last, so I didn't have to worry about it having fallen out
of my pocket in a supermarket or polling station car park!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Tracking with Bluetooth isn`t going to be beyond a few meters
unfortunately.

But could well help a prospective thief to know for sure they are in the
van. ;-)

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:12:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Tracking with Bluetooth isn`t going to be beyond a few meters
unfortunately.

But could well help a prospective thief to know for sure they are in the
van. ;-)

Faraday cages in vans next.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
Tracking with Bluetooth isn`t going to be beyond a few meters
unfortunately.

But could well help a prospective thief to know for sure they are in the
van. ;-)

Faraday cages in vans next.

Yup. Make it out of something strong and it will be more used against
theft than BlueTooth.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2017 14:22, Bob Eager wrote:
Faraday cages in vans next.

Yes, just think. You could make the van out of metal...

I suspect an all-tin back - no windows - would kill a lot of signal.
Anybody know how well a mobile phone works in the back of a no-windows van?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 June 2017 01:57:03 UTC+1, Adam Aglionby wrote:
What no one asked for, ever, what could possibly go wrong....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/ONEKEY

Good idea, and we;re loking to spend some money not sure if this is the right thing to spend it on though.