Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete: How many 25kg bags of cement for one jumbo bag of ballast?

It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:51:17 PM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

PS The jumbo bag is of standard size, and is filled so that I can just manage to cover its contents by folding the upper walls of it over and inwards.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al-W wrote:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:51:17 PM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's
merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much
cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

PS The jumbo bag is of standard size, and is filled so that I can
just manage to cover its contents by folding the upper walls of it
over and inwards.

Al

Without knowing the ratio of sand/stone in the ballast it's not really
possible to estimate accurately.

If you are using a mixer, 3/4 of a bag of cement per mix and fill the mixer
until it's full, don't count spadefuls as some are huge and others are
spoonfuls.
Tip: add water first, then 8-10 spades of ballast, then cement, then fill
mixer. Don't put cement in first otherwise it sticks to the sides and
doesn't mix in with the other ingredients.

How long and wide is the path?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:39:44 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
Al-W wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Actually this paricular job is a footing for a retaining wall. It's only about 5m x 0.5m but the depth is very roughly 150mm, however, I'm embedding a lot of small rocks in the concrete to reduce the amount of concrete. It looks like the dumpy bag of ballast will be sufficient.

Mant years ago, in my youth, for a while, I was the mixer man on a building site, and used to measure everything in shovelfuls when mixing mortar, aka 'muck'. That was long before the invention of dumpy bags...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2017 18:40, Phil L wrote:
Al-W wrote:
[...]

More to the point how big is his mixer as they vary in size so your
method may not work.

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Al-W Wrote in message:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Jumbo bag ~ 800kgs dry.

Base your calcs on that.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 7:00:20 PM UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Thanks. The volume of the ballast looks to be very roughly about one cubic yard. Definitely less than a cubic metre. It's hard to guesstimate the volume of a bag of cement though.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al-W wrote:
[...]

Most 'handyman' mixers you can buy or hire are roughly the same size.
I doubt he's using a site mixer for a garden path

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Shovelling stone out of a bag isn't done properly, the spade catches on the
flappy sides and handles 5 times out of ten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/17 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

jumbo bag is about 850kg

so at 5:1 6 bags or maybe 5...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Thanks. The volume of the ballast looks to be very roughly about one cubic yard. Definitely less than a cubic metre. It's hard to guesstimate the volume of a bag of cement though.

Al

It won't be a cubic yard; a full 800 kg bag of ballast is only about a
third of a cubic metre.

Plenty of calculators on Google.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Thanks. The volume of the ballast looks to be very roughly about one cubic yard. Definitely less than a cubic metre. It's hard to guesstimate the volume of a bag of cement though.

Al

Go measure one?
--
Jim K

LOL - yes, I may have to do that, ultimately. Unfortunately I don't have one to hand, as I haven't bought the cement yet, and the nearest builder's merchant is a long way away. I hoped someone had a ballpark figure for how many bags of cement for one dumpy bag of ballast. I'm guessing it's about six, but I'd rather not be making such wild guesses. I don't want to get caught short near the end of the job. I'l prolly phone up the supplier of the ballast tomorrow, and see what they say.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2017 20:13, Phil L wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

8

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Shovelling stone out of a bag isn't done properly, the spade catches on the
flappy sides and handles 5 times out of ten.

Stanley knife.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/17 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's
merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much
cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

jumbo bag is about 850kg

so at 5:1 6 bags or maybe 5...

http://source4me.co.uk/calculate_concrete_mix.php reckons 7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Thanks. The volume of the ballast looks to be very roughly about one cubic yard. Definitely less than a cubic metre. It's hard to guesstimate the volume of a bag of cement though.

Al

It won't be a cubic yard; a full 800 kg bag of ballast is only about a
third of a cubic metre.

Thanks for the that. Looks must be deceptive then; what I've got looks like twice that amount.
Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

8

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Shovelling stone out of a bag isn't done properly, the spade catches on the
flappy sides and handles 5 times out of ten.

Stanley knife.

Exactly what I was thinking!
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 7:08:52 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Agreed. When I was a brickie's labourer (back in the days of slave labour!), I found it easy to produce a consistent mix, every mixer-load. A much harder task was getting the ancient diesel mixer started in the morning, using a crank handle. ;-)

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Al-W Wrote in message:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 7:08:52 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Agreed. When I was a brickie's labourer (back in the days of slave labour!), I found it easy to produce a consistent mix, every mixer-load. A much harder task was getting the ancient diesel mixer started in the morning, using a crank handle. ;-)

Al

Have you forgotten it all? :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 08/06/2017 17:51, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

Thank you,

Al

Need to know what job is ?
That will advise the mix.

A GP mix using all-in would be done on 5:1 by volume

Mixes should be done by volume not weight ..... if you want a guide,
bulk bag going to be around 750Kg

Thanks. The volume of the ballast looks to be very roughly about one cubic yard. Definitely less than a cubic metre. It's hard to guesstimate the volume of a bag of cement though.

Al

It won't be a cubic yard; a full 800 kg bag of ballast is only about a
third of a cubic metre.

??

How big are your metres?

Plenty of calculators on Google.

Use with care? :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 5:37:56 PM UTC+1, jim wrote:

Have you forgotten it all? :-)
--
Jim K

Dumpy bags didn't exist in 1974, and they are what I was asking about. Also, I was a bricky's labourer - didn't have much involvement with concreting.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to dennis, Dave wrote:
Just done a base and used just over 5 bags cement to one jumbo ballast , 11
shovels of ballast to half bag of cement, 5-1 is a good mix ðŸ‘ðŸ½

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1214978-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this a new quiz? How many bags of ballast fit into a jumbo. I can see it
now. things measured in animal sizes.
Hang on I only have a giraffe of cement left mate.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave" m wrote in message
replying to dennis, Dave wrote:
Just done a base and used just over 5 bags cement to one jumbo ballast ,
11
shovels of ballast to half bag of cement, 5-1 is a good mix ????

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1214978-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2018 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this a new quiz? How many bags of ballast fit into a jumbo. I can see it
now. things measured in animal sizes.
Hang on I only have a giraffe of cement left mate.
Brian

IIRC a Jumbo is a notional 800 kg, though it is often treated as though
it is a tonne.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to rick, paul. wrote:
Odd to say you should work this out by volume, then give a weight as a guide.
. .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1214978-.htm