Old November 6th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?

How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?
They are 90lb bags. From what I recall, it was 3 bags per cu yard.
Yet I got this guy at the local lumberyard who insists I need 5 bags
per... Sounds to me he is trying to make more money...

I am referring to a standard mix of 1 part portland, 2 parts sand and
3 parts stone.

It's been awhile since I made cement so I am asking to be sure. I'm
checking into the cost to make my own from scratch rather than truck
in some ready mixed stuff in a tub.

Old November 6th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

3

Old November 6th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think so.

"The Freon Cowboy" wrote in message
m...
3

Old November 6th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?

I don't think so either.
It will depend on the size of the aggregate; see:
http://www.cement.org/tech/faq_cement.asp

--
Grandpa
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Old November 7th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I don't think so either.
It will depend on the size of the aggregate; see:
http://www.cement.org/tech/faq_cement.asp

Looks like they are saying 7 bags. That should be about right. I mixed up
a yard of the ready mix and it took about 43 bags. The measurment was not
exect but close to a yard. From the above mix , if you say it takes 42 bags
and devide by 6 (number of parts) that gives you seven .

Be sure you want to devote the ammount of time to mix up the cement. It
will take several hours to mix up that much by hand. Unless a big mixer is
used, think of it as about 3 minuits per the bag of premixed that I used.
That times about 40 will give you the time it will take.
It may take longer if done fully by hand. I used a small electric mixer and
only mixed one bag at a time.

Old November 7th 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Note: cement and concrete are not the same thing at all.

Concrete comes in different size bags. Concrete is formulated to
different specifications and strengths.

It would be the cement that comes in the bags...

Old November 7th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 9:19 am, dpb wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Note: cement and concrete are not the same thing at all.

Concrete comes in different size bags. Concrete is formulated to
different specifications and strengths.

It would be the cement that comes in the bags...

--

Errm..you can also buy premix (dry) concrete in the bag.

Harry K