Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Concrete: How many 25kg bags of cement for one jumbo bag of ballast?

dennis@home wrote:
On 08/06/2017 18:40, Phil L wrote:
Al-W wrote:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:51:17 PM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
It looks like a reasonably full jumbo bag from a decent builder's
merchant.
I'm thinking of a 5:1 mix of ballast to cement. Anyone know how
much cement I need for the whole jumbo bag of ballast?

PS The jumbo bag is of standard size, and is filled so that I can
just manage to cover its contents by folding the upper walls of it
over and inwards.

Al

Without knowing the ratio of sand/stone in the ballast it's not
really possible to estimate accurately.

If you are using a mixer, 3/4 of a bag of cement per mix and fill
the mixer until it's full, don't count spadefuls as some are huge
and others are spoonfuls.
Tip: add water first, then 8-10 spades of ballast, then cement, then
fill mixer. Don't put cement in first otherwise it sticks to the
sides and doesn't mix in with the other ingredients.

How long and wide is the path?

More to the point how big is his mixer as they vary in size so your
method may not work.

Most 'handyman' mixers you can buy or hire are roughly the same size.
I doubt he's using a site mixer for a garden path

Use a shovel properly and they are all the same size.

Shovelling stone out of a bag isn't done properly, the spade catches on the
flappy sides and handles 5 times out of ten.