Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Capacitive power supply - remote control fan

I have just got around to a serious look at this, originally my
assumption was that it was the remote failing to work properly..

It is a large portable electric fan, three speed, timer to go off,
variable direction, with a random function. Control is via IR remote or
buttons on the fan. As the control IC it uses a SC8206 18 pin, with
green LED to indicate function and a tiny piezo buzzer.

The original problem was it sometimes failed to respond to the remote,
which became worse over time. Then the buttons on the unit itself
became iffy.

It uses a capacitive type power supply, with an X rated cap from the
mains, followed by diodes and resistors, a smoothing cap, then a zenor.
Which is supposed to provide 5v to the control system. With nothing
running, no LED's lit, it does provide the 5v, but that falls to around
3v when anything is powered, any current is drawn. I can turn it off
via a button on the unit, the remote will then work to turn it back on,
but no further response to remote - obviously because the rail voltage
has fallen to 3v.

Prace your bets on the likely failure mode? X rated cap, diode
rectifier, smoothing cap maybe? To be fair, the smoothing cap looks
fine and is rated 16v.

I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/17 15:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

If it is under voltage, but otherwise working the answer is to add a
little more capacitance to the 'X rated capacitor'.

You can solder a smaller cap across it, or replace it with a 10-20%
larger one.

If the zener starts smoking, you have gone too far.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 15:16:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

I'd go for the smoothing cap. The X rated capacitors are usually only
there for interference suppression, and in any case they usually fail
with magic smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/17 17:11, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Not in the case when you want a wattless dropper from the mains without
involving a coil.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dried out capacitors. These so called lossless droppers using a capacitor
can be prone to the cap simply going low capacity, or in the case of an old
torch charger, going short and catching fire instead.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Bob Eager formulated :
I'd go for the smoothing cap. The X rated capacitors are usually only
there for interference suppression, and in any case they usually fail
with magic smoke.

No, in this case it is used as a 'voltage dropper', in series with the
load.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.

ESR meter suggested the x-rated cap marked as 1uF was down in value to
426nF. Once replaced with a much older one which measured as 1026nF,
normal service was resumed fully. I would have thought the designer of
the circuit might have allowed for a bit more 'headroom' in the value
of the cap. I seem to remember this fan's remote operation was never
100% even when new, so maybe the cap began life well below its proper
value.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 18:38:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Bob Eager formulated :
I'd go for the smoothing cap. The X rated capacitors are usually only
there for interference suppression, and in any case they usually fail
with magic smoke.

No, in this case it is used as a 'voltage dropper', in series with the
load.

Ah, then it's a toss-up really! Probably more likely to be that I guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 20:38:25 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.

ESR meter suggested the x-rated cap marked as 1uF was down in value to
426nF. Once replaced with a much older one which measured as 1026nF,
normal service was resumed fully. I would have thought the designer of
the circuit might have allowed for a bit more 'headroom' in the value
of the cap. I seem to remember this fan's remote operation was never
100% even when new, so maybe the cap began life well below its proper
value.

No, a 50% change is a failure, not a tolerance.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.

ESR meter suggested the x-rated cap marked as 1uF was down in value to
426nF. Once replaced with a much older one which measured as 1026nF,
normal service was resumed fully. I would have thought the designer of
the circuit might have allowed for a bit more 'headroom' in the value
of the cap. I seem to remember this fan's remote operation was never
100% even when new, so maybe the cap began life well below its proper
value.

No, a 50% change is a failure, not a tolerance.

well that's semantics. Plenty of cheap caps used to be +-20% and many
electrolytics were -20%+50%.

If it was an old paraffin and paper dielectric, they dry out as well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.

ESR meter suggested the x-rated cap marked as 1uF was down in value to
426nF. Once replaced with a much older one which measured as 1026nF,
normal service was resumed fully. I would have thought the designer of
the circuit might have allowed for a bit more 'headroom' in the value
of the cap. I seem to remember this fan's remote operation was never
100% even when new, so maybe the cap began life well below its proper
value.

No, a 50% change is a failure, not a tolerance.

well that's semantics. Plenty of cheap caps used to be +-20% and many
electrolytics were -20%+50%.

If it was an old paraffin and paper dielectric, they dry out as well

X caps are plastic film, and shouldn't lose capacity or be anything like -50%.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
I'll get back to it with some serious diagnostics in a day or two.

ESR meter suggested the x-rated cap marked as 1uF was down in value to
426nF. Once replaced with a much older one which measured as 1026nF,
normal service was resumed fully. I would have thought the designer of
the circuit might have allowed for a bit more 'headroom' in the value
of the cap. I seem to remember this fan's remote operation was never
100% even when new, so maybe the cap began life well below its proper
value.

No, a 50% change is a failure, not a tolerance.

well that's semantics. Plenty of cheap caps used to be +-20% and many
electrolytics were -20%+50%.

If it was an old paraffin and paper dielectric, they dry out as well

X caps are plastic film, and shouldn't lose capacity or be anything like -50%.

Many X-rated capacitors are of the self-healing variety. Each time the
self-healing takes place there is a loss of metalised film leading to a
reduction of capacitance. Look up polypropylene capacitors.

It suggests to me the voltage rating was marginal in the first place.

Self healing causes very slight loss of capacity. To lose 50% to flashovers would take a very large number, indicating a cap faulty from day 1.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/17 08:09, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or indeed they can be an incorrectly marked batch that just about worked
when new but is now really useless.
Brian

Like the Labour party?

Its also possible as I discovered when testing 1000 optotransistors,
that it was just an outlier that slipped through testing.

(I plotted sensitivity versus sample size: What turned up was a
truncated bell curve, with truncation being the result of fcatory
rejection of substandards, except for two, that were well outside th
truncated zone).

private property.

Karl Marx