Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to de-scale a loo that is connected to a Septic tank?

I'm new to Septic tanks and have recently moved to a house in a hard
water area that has 5 toilets, all of which are badly stained. I presume
I can't use brick acid, Harpic toilet "pills", or similar so how do I
de-scale the loo? With a wooden scraper?

(A water softener is going to be in my future to solve the problem, but
this won't be for at least 6 months and I need to de-scale them now)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I'm new to Septic tanks and have recently moved to a house in a hard water area that
has 5 toilets, all of which are badly stained. I presume I can't use brick acid, Harpic
toilet "pills", or similar so how do I de-scale the loo? With a wooden scraper?

(A water softener is going to be in my future to solve the problem, but this won't be
for at least 6 months and I need to de-scale them now)

With reference to your "can't use brick acid, Harpic toilet "pills"" presumably
this is because you can't allow the resulting liquid to go past the S bend into
the tank.

What's been suggested on here before, although I've never tried
it myself, is to block the bend with an inflated balloon pushing it as far round the
bend as you can. But not so far that you won't be able to puncture it
easily afterwords.

And then apply a concentrated solution of your remedy of
choice to the remaining water. Depending on how long you can leave this
solution in place will probably govern how easy it is to remove the stain in
each case. So that it may need more than one application.

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/25/2017 9:59 AM, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message ...

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier. If using brick acid,
neutralise with washing soda or ammonia first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier.

First buy your wet and dry vaccuum cleaner.

And in any case this was an observation about baling
out toilets in general.

As from my admittedly limited experience of bailing out toilets
I'm much happier consigning the results to a bucket which can
be flushed away immediately, rather than the inside of a vaccuum
cleaner.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message ...

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier.

First buy your wet and dry vaccuum cleaner.

And in any case this was an observation about baling
out toilets in general.

As from my admittedly limited experience of bailing out toilets
I'm much happier consigning the results to a bucket which can
be flushed away immediately, rather than the inside of a vaccuum
cleaner.

michael adams

Do you have a septic tank?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost all of the
water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier.

First buy your wet and dry vaccuum cleaner.

And in any case this was an observation about baling
out toilets in general.

As from my admittedly limited experience of bailing out toilets
I'm much happier consigning the results to a bucket which can
be flushed away immediately, rather than the inside of a vaccuum
cleaner.

michael adams

Do you have a septic tank?

Er no.

The point was to prevent chemicals used to soften the
scale from being flushed into the septic tank. These
are also the sort of chemicals which I wouldn't
necessarily want to sit inside a wet and dry vaccum
cleaner. Not without having to check various labels
spec sheets and disclaimers. A bucket costing 90 p
can be emptied outside over the soil.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

[...]

Typically a wet and dry vac is a plastic bucket with a sucking thing on
top. So it'll be fine.
The cheap Titan one we got from Screwfix (or is it Toolsatan?) does very
well for that sort of job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

Do you have a septic tank?

Er no.

Mmm thought not ;-)

The point was to prevent chemicals used to soften the
scale from being flushed into the septic tank.

Presume you mean dissolve, not soften?

Er no. Using chemicals makes it easier to remove the
limescale.

It still requires manual intervention, i.e. scraping.

Only not as vigorously.

It only dissolves it in the adverts.

You put it in. Come back two hours later, or overnight.

Flush the bog and its gone. In your dreams.

Anyhoo given that a decent septic tank worth having probably has a
capacity of 2-2.5k litres+, all this fretting over a couple of
occasional litres of dilute acid or bleach seems a trifle ott.

The OP thought otherwise, and rather than seek to question
the basic assumptions on which his question was based, I provided
a solution which met his requirements.

I hardly feel that sticking a balloon down each of the 5
bogs he needs to initially clean will present any great
hardship. Do you ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Typically a wet and dry vac is a plastic bucket with a sucking thing on top. So it'll
be fine.
The cheap Titan one we got from Screwfix (or is it Toolsatan?) does very well for that
sort of job.

Screwfix, cheers. Although I don't really have a use for one, at £39.99
they're almost giving the things away as a back up for the dry vac.,
if nothing else.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

[...]

Get the bogs cleaned, bleach em once in a while if you want and
just get it flushed (& further diluted). The tank will cope fine
& is constantly brewing appropriate bacteria to do its evil
deeds.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

The OP is new to septic tanks & you have no experience of them....
A little knowledge...... :-)

Possibly the OP has been swayed by all the information
avalailable on the net advising him against disturbing
the delicate balance existing in his septic tank by
introducing too much acid, and the possibly highly
unpleasant consequences should this balance be
disturbed.

For the sensitive nose of a townie at least. People with
muckspreaders operating within 200 yards of their
houses as part of their daily lives, may feel
differently I suppose.

I hardly feel that sticking a balloon down each of the 5
bogs he needs to initially clean will present any great
hardship. Do you ?

And baling them out afterwards :-(

Not when using his newly acquired £39.99 wet and dry vac
from Screwfix it isn't. Its almost a pleasure.

Compared to leaving acidic solutions in bogs overnight & flushing
the next day/or so? Mmm tough choices..... :-)

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls, will do no harm if released into
the septic tank. Those microbes will just lap it all up.

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Having no intention
myself of ever owning a septic tank.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

Do you have a septic tank?

Er no.

Mmm thought not ;-)

The point was to prevent chemicals used to soften the
scale from being flushed into the septic tank.

Presume you mean dissolve, not soften?

Er no. Using chemicals makes it easier to remove the
limescale.

Depends on the chemicals....

It still requires manual intervention, i.e. scraping.

Only not as vigorously.

Not here.

It only dissolves it in the adverts.

I haven't seen adverts for acid - have you seen any?

You put it in. Come back two hours later, or overnight.

Flush the bog and its gone. In your dreams.

Once it's done it's job I don't want it back YMMV.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls, will do no harm if released into
the septic tank.

Even if that is the issue, (rather than just your imagination of
it) anyone with a better imagination could think of far easier
ways than you apparently can.

I never said use hydrochloric acid did you?

You twice referred to acid which would dissolve limescale
if left overnight. The usual recommendation for this is
dilute hydrochloric acid which is usually referred to as brick
acid, if for no other reason than, it's easier to spell.

Your first reference

"Anyhoo given that a decent septic tank worth having probably has a
capacity of 2-2.5k litres+, all this fretting over a couple of
occasional litres of dilute acid"

"Your second reference in response to my statement that in adverts
for household limescale removers "It only dissolves it in the adverts."

I haven't seen adverts for acid - have you seen any?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls, will do no harm if released into
the septic tank.

Even if that is the issue, (rather than just your imagination of
it) anyone with a better imagination could think of far easier
ways than you apparently can.

If you remember, I originally suggested that the application of
chemicals only softened the limescale and it would still be
necessary to remove some of it manually.

You objected to this and said no. It was possible to dissolve it
all.

Now please explain how you intend to dissolve the limescale on the
back of the bowl all the way down from the rim, such that no
scraping of any kind will be necessary, without filling the
bowl to the rim.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

Once again. (this time from your own attempt at proof) it is clear
*I* never suggested brick acid or hydrochloric acid. Who
did?

So what acid were you actually referring, to which is capable
of dissolving limescale overnight ?

If you remember it was you who insisted that this acid of your
choice actually dissolved the limescale, rather than softened
it, so that no scraping or other manual intervention was
necessary.

That's assuming that you or the other members of your household
do actually need to use this particular lavatory bowl at least
once a day, of course.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial
if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost
all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket
afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier. If using brick acid,
neutralise with washing soda or ammonia first.

Can you still get ammonia?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

Read the thread.

It would be so much easier if you just named the acid you were suggesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message ...

Who suggested the stains were "all the way" to the rim? Oh you did.

That's the usual pattern of staining in a lavatory bowl.
The water flows down the back of the bowl from the rim
depositing tiny amounts of limescale as it does
so which build up over time.

I thought your solution to this problem, something which
will dissolve limescale overnight with no need for scraping
covered all typical situations. Not only your own where
apparently you only get limescale under the waterline.

michael adams

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

I have.

Your only references to acid were the two I've already quoted.

So what acid were you actually referring to, which is capable
of dissolving limescale overnight ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

The OP is new to septic tanks & you have no experience of them....
A little knowledge...... :-)

Possibly the OP has been swayed by all the information
avalailable on the net advising him against disturbing
the delicate balance existing in his septic tank by
introducing too much acid, and the possibly highly
unpleasant consequences should this balance be
disturbed.

The delicate balance of what?

For your info it's a 2500 litre tank of constantly moving raw
sewage, regularly topped up with distinctly non-stetile bacteria
in the **** from people's arseholes (& keyboards as applicable
;-) ) ... Delicate balance ffs :-D

Go on Google the consequences & share them with us you
scaremongering bull****ter!?

For the sensitive nose of a townie at least. People with
muckspreaders operating within 200 yards of their
houses as part of their daily lives, may feel
differently I suppose.

More guesswork & assumptions.

I hardly feel that sticking a balloon down each of the 5
bogs he needs to initially clean will present any great
hardship. Do you ?

And baling them out afterwards :-(

Not when using his newly acquired £39.99 wet and dry vac
from Screwfix it isn't. Its almost a pleasure.

Get your kicks while you can :-)

Compared to leaving acidic solutions in bogs overnight & flushing
the next day/or so? Mmm tough choices..... :-)

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls, will do no harm if released into
the septic tank.

Even if that is the issue, (rather than just your imagination of
it) anyone with a better imagination could think of far easier
ways than you apparently can.

I never said use hydrochloric acid did you?

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Having no intention
myself of ever owning a septic tank.

But you now know a little more with which to refine the
"expertise" you profer to the next enquirer on a subject you have
no knowledge of & no intention of knowing about ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

Why would someone (you) who has no knowledge or experience of
septic tanks be interested in advising someone else who hasn't
either?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
[...]

Coming thicker & faster now I note

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message

Using a sacrificial soup ladle or similar, (or maybe not sacrfifcial
if funds are
very tight, I suppose) its a fairly simple matter to bail out almost
all of the water
in the bottom of an S bend (and thus the toilet) into a bucket
afterwards if this
is thought necessary.

michael adams

A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is even easier. If using brick acid,
neutralise with washing soda or ammonia first.

Can you still get ammonia?

He imagines so.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

You should read the thread too.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

I think he's forgotten?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

He should have stuck with the septic tanks and not allowed
himself to get sidetracked into a discussion of toilet
bowls and acid which are clearly his weaker points.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 20:47:05 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls,

That's so dumb it warrants a repost just for the sake of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 23:04:19 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

Can you still get ammonia?

yep.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message ...

Who suggested the stains were "all the way" to the rim? Oh you did.

That's the usual pattern of staining in a lavatory bowl.
The water flows down the back of the bowl from the rim
depositing tiny amounts of limescale as it does
so which build up over time.

For you perhaps.

Not just for me.

Why did you snip the second paragraph I wonder ?

I thought your solution to this problem, something which
will dissolve limescale overnight with no need for scraping
covered all typical situations. Not only your own where
apparently you only get limescale under the waterline.

If only you'd stuck to the septic tank end of this
discussion you might have stood a better chance but
you allowed me to side track you into a discussion
of acids and toilet bowls which are clearly your
weak points.

So much so that you're now feigning amnesia and
a highly untypical pattern of limescale deposits
around your bowl

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 25 May 2017 20:47:05 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls,

That's so dumb it warrants a repost just for the sake of it.

I know that you're still bitter about my showing that you totally
contradicted yourself in the pump action screwdriver thread*,
but you really shouldn't allow that bitterness to affect your judgement.

Had you actually taken the trouble to read the thread before jumping
out of your zimmer frame, you'd realise that the OP has insisted right
from the outset that the limescale will be totally dissolved without any
need for manual intervention. No scraping, no brushing, nothing. It will simply
flush away . That can't be achieved with a liquid such as the OP is
proposing using unless all the limescale is immersed.

Anyone else could use a gel which stuck to the back of the bowl
but the OP is denied that possibility by his previous insistence
on using his chemical of choice.

michael adams

*
wrote in message

I had a yankee and had no time for it. A hand drill is far better. A mains
drill 'leaves it for dead' when putting in screws, to borrow the idiot's
phrase.

wrote in message

The pump action sped them up. But you just can't power drive slotted
screws without the bit falling off repeatedly, and a manual screwdriver
gives more control.

So which did you use ?

The mains drill which left the Yankee "for dead" or the manual screwdriver because
the bit was "falling off repeatedly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 00:04:53 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Thursday, 25 May 2017 20:47:05 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

Right so just to be clear. Having blocked the S bend
with a balloon or similar in all 5 cases, the amount of brick
acid solution necessary to clean all 5 bowls, which will necessarily
have to be filled to near the brim to dissolve the limescale on
the backs of the bowls,

That's so dumb it warrants a repost just for the sake of it.

I know that you're still bitter about my showing that you totally
contradicted yourself in the pump action screwdriver thread*,
but you really shouldn't allow that bitterness to affect your judgement.

lol

tabbypurr wrote in message

The pump action sped them up. But you just can't power drive slotted
screws without the bit falling off repeatedly, and a manual screwdriver
gives more control.

So which did you use ?

The mains drill which left the Yankee "for dead" or the manual screwdriver because
the bit was "falling off repeatedly?

Boy are you clueless. It's Rod mark II

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message o.uk...

[...]

I think you're being lazy.

No, just illustrating the onset of dementia.