Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter supports/ fixings

Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket
holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the
meter from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2" clear of the
cabinet base.

I thought I read something about the regulations required it to be
properly supported, including a (second) bracket to support it at the
bottom?

Thing is, our latest energy supplier cannot access the OVO smart gas
meter remotely, so they have agreed with me to fit a replacement which
they can work with. I might as well make sure it is properly installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket
holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the
meter from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2" clear of the
cabinet base.

I've had three meters in this place over the years, all simply supported
by the unions, the latest one has a tamper evident plastic seal fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2017 14:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket
holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the meter
from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2" clear of the cabinet
base.

I thought I read something about the regulations required it to be
properly supported, including a (second) bracket to support it at the
bottom?

Thing is, our latest energy supplier cannot access the OVO smart gas
meter remotely, so they have agreed with me to fit a replacement which
they can work with. I might as well make sure it is properly installed.

Supported on the unions seems to be the "normal" way these days. (the
bracket is strong and the meter not that heavy, so it does not seem to
be a problem in reality)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Supported on the unions seems to be the "normal" way these days. (the
bracket is strong and the meter not that heavy, so it does not seem to
be a problem in reality)

Supporting by the unions is mechanically the same as supporting by the
spigots of the case - and they're more than tough enough.

Did once come across a meter supported by nothing but the pipework
(behind a cupboard; kitchen renovation) so got the owner to phone up the
gas people to sort. They weren't particularly fussed, neither was the
guy made to come out and put the bracket up.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm presented the following explanation :
On 25/04/2017 14:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Our smart meter is fixed on an L bracket, in the cabinet. The L bracket
holds the meter by the two unions only, rather than supporting the meter
from below at the base. The rubber feet are some 2" clear of the cabinet
base.

I thought I read something about the regulations required it to be
properly supported, including a (second) bracket to support it at the
bottom?

Thing is, our latest energy supplier cannot access the OVO smart gas
meter remotely, so they have agreed with me to fit a replacement which
they can work with. I might as well make sure it is properly installed.

Supported on the unions seems to be the "normal" way these days. (the bracket
is strong and the meter not that heavy, so it does not seem to be a problem
in reality)

Thanks All, I will not bother to mention it when the installer calls.

RSJ supports jimmyjim UK diy 19 February 2nd 15 11:24 PM
Lid Supports Victor H. Woodworking 6 February 18th 10 05:15 PM
Electricty to flat: Powercard meter, coin meter, or what? Frank UK diy 21 April 20th 07 08:42 PM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 0 June 19th 06 06:37 PM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 06 08:49 PM