Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PIR troubles

Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set. It sounds the usual setting tone and
then the Entry zone LED comes on and it alarms.

Could there be a problem with the two being in close proximity to each
other, or could I have got some dust inside the PIR when I drilled the
ceiling (despite having the vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the hole as
it was being drilled)?

Unfortunately, I can't see how to get into the PIR to give it a clean
out: there's no screws visible so I presume it needs to be prised open.
Before I try, does anyone recognise it and know where to lever it open,
or where the screw(s) might be?

Image at http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2017 17:59, F wrote:
Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set. It sounds the usual setting tone and
then the Entry zone LED comes on and it alarms.

Could there be a problem with the two being in close proximity to each
other, or could I have got some dust inside the PIR when I drilled the
ceiling (despite having the vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the hole as
it was being drilled)?

Unfortunately, I can't see how to get into the PIR to give it a clean
out: there's no screws visible so I presume it needs to be prised open.
Before I try, does anyone recognise it and know where to lever it open,
or where the screw(s) might be?

Image at http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

Maybe an RFI problem with the camera being so close.

Is the camera wired or wireless, that could make a difference?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 17:59:33 UTC+1, F wrote:
Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set. It sounds the usual setting tone and
then the Entry zone LED comes on and it alarms.

Could there be a problem with the two being in close proximity to each
other, or could I have got some dust inside the PIR when I drilled the
ceiling (despite having the vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the hole as
it was being drilled)?

Unfortunately, I can't see how to get into the PIR to give it a clean
out: there's no screws visible so I presume it needs to be prised open.
Before I try, does anyone recognise it and know where to lever it open,
or where the screw(s) might be?

Image at http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

PIRs respond to changes in IR, so dust in the unit won't trigger it.

Might be RFI.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set

I drilled the
ceiling

Spot the connection. You've drilled through the PIR cable?

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2017 09:35, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set

I drilled the
ceiling

Spot the connection. You've drilled through the PIR cable?

No, thank goodness, the two cables take completely different routes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2017 09:18, Martin Brown wrote:

Spiders certainly do trigger it if there are any warm spots in the room.

Vibration from drilling a wall might have made one of the connectors
come loose. Switching the camera off completely would be one test.

Why didn't I think of that earlier? I'll give that a try.

Beware of antitamper measures on the PIR detectors - you may need to put
the alarm controller into engineering mode before taking one apart
unless you really want to be deafened.

I can get use Engineer Mode but I don't know how to open the PIR.
There's a small slot and pinhole underneath but no other obvious way in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 17:59:33 UTC+1, F wrote:
Since I installed a CCTV camera above a PIR (the only one on the Entry
zone) the alarm refuses to set. It sounds the usual setting tone and
then the Entry zone LED comes on and it alarms.

Could there be a problem with the two being in close proximity to each
other, or could I have got some dust inside the PIR when I drilled the
ceiling (despite having the vacuum cleaner nozzle up against the hole as
it was being drilled)?

Unfortunately, I can't see how to get into the PIR to give it a clean
out: there's no screws visible so I presume it needs to be prised open.
Before I try, does anyone recognise it and know where to lever it open,
or where the screw(s) might be?

Image at http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

If those are IR LEDs in the camera unit they could be giving false or triggering signals to the PIR.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2017 10:34, F wrote:
On 19/04/2017 09:18, Martin Brown wrote:

Beware of antitamper measures on the PIR detectors - you may need to
put the alarm controller into engineering mode before taking one apart
unless you really want to be deafened.

I can get use Engineer Mode but I don't know how to open the PIR.
There's a small slot and pinhole underneath but no other obvious way in.

Mine have a clip on thin screen in front of the sensor that springs out
when you do exactly the right thing to the catches. It is thin and
rather fragile so forcing it not a good idea. If you can find the exact
same model online then the manual should say how to open it.

Once in you should see the mounting screws and cable block connectors.

My guess would be a small screwdriver in the slot and a bit of gentle
persuasion since that is pretty much how mine come apart. Good luck.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2017 11:04, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but the problem is there when they're not lit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2017 09:18, Martin Brown wrote:

Vibration from drilling a wall might have made one of the connectors
come loose. Switching the camera off completely would be one test.

I've tried it now and it makes no difference. What I have noticed, and I
don't think it was there before, is that as soon a I set the alarm the
Entry Zone LED is lit even though the one on the relevant PIR is not.

I need to get into the PIR, but in a way that it will go back together
again! Anyone recognise it from the image at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

Which is it, wired or wireless?

a wireless device still needs a power feed

my money's still on a damaged wire to the PIR. The OP's pic shows one
wire running up to it under the wallpaper, but there may be another,
hidden one running up from it through the ceiling. Opening it up will
tell for sure.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 20:37:51 UTC+1, F wrote:
[...]

How do you know they are not lit ?
If they are inside then unless you have bright light in the room they may well be lit enough, you might be able to tell from the image you get from the camera if teh colours of the image look a bit washed out or monochrome compared with say what your smartphone sees it could be that the IR LEDs are almost always on a bit. I used to notice then on my webcam as the light started to fail even a clody day could mean the IR LEDS came on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2017 08:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 20:40:51 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 19/04/2017 09:18, Martin Brown wrote:

Vibration from drilling a wall might have made one of the connectors
come loose. Switching the camera off completely would be one test.

I've tried it now and it makes no difference. What I have noticed, and I
don't think it was there before, is that as soon a I set the alarm the
Entry Zone LED is lit even though the one on the relevant PIR is not.

I need to get into the PIR, but in a way that it will go back together
again! Anyone recognise it from the image at
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/di...brary/PIR_CCTV

Are you sure it's the PIR itself that's causing the problem, and not
the control unit? Can you disable the PIR, remove the battery for
example, and see if the fault persists? What happens when you switch
off the camera? Incidentally, you said the PIR was wireless in one
reply, but that all the wires to the two units were completely
separate, in another. Which is it, wired or wireless?

It's the camera which is wireless. The PIR is wired.

I have had a different issue with the alarm panel (false panics) but
this problem started immediately after I installed the camera.

Switching the camera off has made no difference.

Once I get into the camera non-destructively, I can bypass it and see
what happens then.

With that in mind, I might just pick up a spare PIR. Any particular ones
recommended?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2017 11:53, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK. I assumed they were not lit because i couldn't see any glow from
them until it went dark. However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 13:41:40 UTC+1, F wrote:
[...]

The glow is visible light which in theory it shouldn't be producing if its a treu IR LED
Some of my studetns have this problem so they think the IR LED isn't working so increase the voltage until it glows them goes pop.
Sometimes you can see IR using a smartphone or camera will see a brighter glow.

However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months, but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR device or remote.

Best of luck

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2017 15:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 13:41:40 UTC+1, F wrote:

However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months, but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR device or remote.

But... it's only happened since the camera was installed a month ago and
the PIR (and its predecessors) has been there for 30 years.

Best of luck

Looks like I'm going to need it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/04/2017 15:56, F wrote:
On 20/04/2017 15:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 13:41:40 UTC+1, F wrote:

However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on
when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months,
but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window
catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR
device or remote.

But... it's only happened since the camera was installed a month ago and
the PIR (and its predecessors) has been there for 30 years.

Best of luck

Looks like I'm going to need it!

Is your plan now to buy a new PIR and install that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2017 09:29, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 13:39:01 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean the PIR?

I did! Trying to do too many things at the same time...

That's what you were wanting to get into
further up this thread. If it's wired, then opening it up should be
straight forward, because it must have been opened at some time in
order to make the connections. Is there a little slot somewhere close
to a seam, with a tongue in it that you can gently push back or lever
aside with a small screwdriver to unlatch it and take a cover off?
Don't attempt it with the alarm system active or there will be noise!
There may be noise anyway. I had to change a PIR unit nine months ago
because it was giving false alerts, and in the process there was a
lot of noise. Twisting together the two wires in the tamper circuit
stopped it, until it came to reconnecting them. I replaced it with a
Gardtec 12m PIR Motion Detector from Radiospares, Stock no.: 493-1289,
as that seemed to be the closest modern equivalent to the one already
there. http://tinyurl.com/klqyyxq or
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/securi...nsors/4931289/
It's wired, like yours, and doing the biz, but I'm sure there are
loads of others. E-bay is full of them for similar prices.

Thanks to your other reply, I've got into the PIR and everything seemed
fine.

I did, however, get all sorts of nonsense coming out of the panel and I
suspect there's a loose joint in there somewhere. It looks as though the
long-avoided panel replacement is nigh. But will have to wait a couple
of weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2017 16:51, GB wrote:
On 20/04/2017 15:56, F wrote:
On 20/04/2017 15:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 13:41:40 UTC+1, F wrote:

However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on
when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months,
but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window
catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR
device or remote.

But... it's only happened since the camera was installed a month ago and
the PIR (and its predecessors) has been there for 30 years.

Best of luck

Looks like I'm going to need it!

Is your plan now to buy a new PIR and install that?

That and a new panel by the looks of it. I've got some ear defenders
somewhere...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 15:56:51 UTC+1, F wrote:
On 20/04/2017 15:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 13:41:40 UTC+1, F wrote:

However, turning the camera off has not got rid
of the problem...

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months, but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR device or remote.

But... it's only happened since the camera was installed a month ago and
the PIR (and its predecessors) has been there for 30 years.

the camera sends out IR well the IR LEDS do.

Best of luck

Looks like I'm going to need it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've finally got a round tuit...

Assuming it is the LEDs in the CCTV camera that are causing the false
alarms, can anyone recommend a replacement for the PIR that won't be
susceptible?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 July 2017 22:27:05 UTC+1, F wrote:
[...]

Every PIR wil pick them up the same.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 July 2017 16:08:18 UTC+1, F wrote:
On 08/07/2017 01:09, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I should reword the question...

Can anyone recommend a motion detector that won't be affected by CCTV
camera LEDs?

There's always ultrasonic doppler effect, but I've not seen those motion detectors offered for decades. And there's beam break, but ditto. Pressure pads go even further back in time & technology.

I suppose if you could replace the IR LEDs with visibles that would work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 22:26:59 +0100, F wrote:

Assuming it is the LEDs in the CCTV camera that are causing the false
alarms, can anyone recommend a replacement for the PIR that won't be
susceptible?

You could try a "dual tech" sensor these have both PIR and microwave
doppler sensors. Both have to trigger for alarm to be signalled. or
perhaps just microwave sensor if you can get them on their own, they
work through walls which can be problematical.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2017 23:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 22:26:59 +0100, F wrote:

Assuming it is the LEDs in the CCTV camera that are causing the false
alarms, can anyone recommend a replacement for the PIR that won't be
susceptible?

You could try a "dual tech" sensor these have both PIR and microwave
doppler sensors. Both have to trigger for alarm to be signalled. or
perhaps just microwave sensor if you can get them on their own, they
work through walls which can be problematical.

Thanks. Can you, or anyone else, recommend a particular make or model?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Can anyone recommend a motion detector that won't be affected by CCTV
camera LEDs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-Motion-Detector/301888664315

That one's only IP20 rated though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2017 17:42, Andy Burns wrote:
F wrote:

Can anyone recommend a motion detector that won't be affected by CCTV
camera LEDs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microwave-Motion-Detector/301888664315

That one's only IP20 rated though ...

Thanks for that.

A little more searching on Ebay came up with http://tinyurl.com/ycl3gp8a

(Links to
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell-...AOSwVJhZVUw W)

I wonder if that might do the trick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 July 2017 16:40:52 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

There's plenty of cheap ultarsonic sensors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers...asonic+sensosa

And there's beam break, but ditto. Pressure pads go even further back in time & technology.

I suppose if you could replace the IR LEDs with visibles that would work.

Maybe use ultra violet and get a tan too ;-)

Drain troubles HeyBub[_2_] Home Repair 0 January 25th 08 01:22 PM
Looking for an M38x1.5 nut and having troubles k_fitchgerald Metalworking 6 March 25th 06 12:54 AM
Septic troubles, again. James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 19 March 15th 06 03:13 AM
New Shower troubles Atman.Soul Home Ownership 3 March 4th 06 09:05 AM
Lathe Troubles Donald Vivian Woodturning 8 July 22nd 04 08:12 AM