Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tooth brush to razor socket connection problem

I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-07, Broadback wrote:

I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Would a travel adapter (UK 3-pin in, europlug out) work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Is the 13A plug original, or has someone changed it?
If original, the appliance isn't for use in a bathroom
(which would be rather stupid). Maybe it's intended to
be charged outside the bathroom, but uses internal
battery when in use?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 13:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Is the 13A plug original, or has someone changed it?
If original, the appliance isn't for use in a bathroom
(which would be rather stupid). Maybe it's intended to
be charged outside the bathroom, but uses internal
battery when in use?

Yes it is a bathroom product. What is need is the opposite of this:
Would a travel adapter (UK 3-pin in, europlug out) work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 12:16, Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

We charge ours in another room.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Then use the charger in a 13 amp socket elsewhere. It doesn't need
charging each time it's used.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-07, Broadback wrote:

I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Would a travel adapter (UK 3-pin in, europlug out) work?

I have a small switch (which I use for a couple of workstations, so is
handy and non-critical) which was supplied with a wall wart using a UK
adaptor which sticks out so much that the rather heavy PSU tends to
lever it out of the socket. It is still unstable even with copious
duct tape, so if I had bought it for a more remote, high-reliability use
(upstairs or in a cupboard) I would have probably thrown it away as not
reliable enough. So I don't think the adaptor as afterthought is
necessarily an adequate solution to make it of merchantable quality for
use in this country.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

I know this isn't going to help, but I don't suppose there's any chance
it has one of those plugs where you open it up, and there's a two-pin
plug inside a special adapter? I suppose it's unlikely, if you say it's
moulded. TBH, I've only ever seen two of these in my life, and have no
idea if they are common, or if I've bought 'unusual' stuff. And they
may only be for normal continental two pin plugs, as opposed to the
slightly different shaver plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback writes:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Is the 13A plug original, or has someone changed it?
If original, the appliance isn't for use in a bathroom
(which would be rather stupid). Maybe it's intended to
be charged outside the bathroom, but uses internal
battery when in use?

Yes it is a bathroom product. What is need is the opposite of this:
Would a travel adapter (UK 3-pin in, europlug out) work

---
http://www.avg.com

Hang on a bit. Would you care to define what you mean by "standard UK
plug"? Everyone assumed you were referring to a 3-pin 13 amp plug with
square pins, but it now looks like you mean a plug with 2 round pins.
Which is it?

If the latter, you can easily find a shaver adapter which plugs into a
3-pin 13 amp socket and has an outlet for a 2-pin round plug - like
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-1AMP-...aptor/p/710423
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 13:22:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Then use the charger in a 13 amp socket elsewhere. It doesn't need
charging each time it's used.

I agree. It should last for days between charges and there is no need
to charge in the bathroom (unless of course the stress and anxiety of
having to transport a heavy toothbrush from one room to another would
be too much, in which case you could always arrange trauma
counselling).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you not simply have the thing on charge in the next room. It would not
be needed to be used near water. I suspect that the charger may not be proof
against water either.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Broadback" wrote in message
news
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the socket
I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a standard UK
plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a razor plug has
any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush charger is moulded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 12:16, Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

If there is somewhere to put the charge close to your razor socket one
of these might work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...AOSwdWBXPJh D

Though I do dislike electrical appliances in a bathroom.

Electric tooth brushes will likely last a few days between charges. At
one place I just charge my Brawn toothbrush during the daytime but not
at night.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote in
news
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...-EU-mains-plug
-10A-250V-/262443338464?hash=item3d1ad78ae0:g:jE8AAOSwdWBXPJh D

It could be tinsel wire which is a sod to work with.

I am confused - is the OP confusing Plugs and Sockets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 17:11, Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/04/2017 12:16, Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

If there is somewhere to put the charge close to your razor socket one
of these might work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...AOSwdWBXPJh D

Do note that the item is an EU plug and not a UK shaver plug and may not
fit the shaver socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 18:17, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/04/2017 17:11, Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/04/2017 12:16, Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

If there is somewhere to put the charge close to your razor socket one
of these might work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...AOSwdWBXPJh D

Do note that the item is an EU plug and not a UK shaver plug and may not
fit the shaver socket.

Searching ebay for 5 amp 2 pin plug produced this 2nd had object:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-piece-2-...AOSwZVlXlmr t

There are also various round bakelite examples.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...U-mains-plug-1
0A-250V-/262443338464?hash=item3d1ad78ae0:g:jE8AAOSwdWBXPJh D

Do note that the item is an EU plug and not a UK shaver plug and may not
fit the shaver socket.

Half a century ago I'd have suggested going down to Woolworth's and
buying a 2 pin (five amp) plug. But we missed the boat on that one.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2017 18:56, Roger Hayter wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

On 07/04/2017 17:11, Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/04/2017 12:16, Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

If there is somewhere to put the charge close to your razor socket one
of these might work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rewireable...U-mains-plug-1
0A-250V-/262443338464?hash=item3d1ad78ae0:g:jE8AAOSwdWBXPJh D

Do note that the item is an EU plug and not a UK shaver plug and may not
fit the shaver socket.

Half a century ago I'd have suggested going down to Woolworth's and
buying a 2 pin (five amp) plug. But we missed the boat on that one.

However, the equivalent 3 pin plugs are available on ebay

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Just to make it clear. My toothbrush was supplied with a three pin UK
square plug. I wish to plug it into my shaver socket which is a two pin
round socket. I have no intention of moving the charging of my
toothbrush from the bathroom to elsewhere as that would be inconvenient.
So I have bitten the bullet and cut the plug off the new toothbrush and
the plug off the old one and joined them with a good quality connector.
I did want to avoid this as it negates the guarantee. So fingers crossed
that the new toothbrush does well. Thanks for all the help but the
problem is now solved!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/17 14:46, Roger Mills wrote:
On 07/04/2017 13:20, Broadback wrote:

Yes it is a bathroom product. What is need is the opposite of this:
Would a travel adapter (UK 3-pin in, europlug out) work

Hang on a bit. Would you care to define what you mean by "standard UK
plug"? Everyone assumed you were referring to a 3-pin 13 amp plug with
square pins, but it now looks like you mean a plug with 2 round pins.
Which is it?

If the latter, you can easily find a shaver adapter which plugs into a
3-pin 13 amp socket and has an outlet for a 2-pin round plug - like
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-1AMP-...aptor/p/710423

Those in my experience are pretty poor at holding 2-pin euro plugs.

I use BCA adaptors, much better at gripping the plug, or weight of the
moulded charger.

https://app.box.com/s/69wpvneqoul6q1zl1uq99m9rzdga8wzz

http://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnecti...-bb45-00001003

I've seen them somewhere for 90p ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2017 11:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I use BCA adaptors, much better at gripping the plug, or weight of the
moulded charger.

https://app.box.com/s/69wpvneqoul6q1zl1uq99m9rzdga8wzz

http://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnecti...-bb45-00001003

A bit pricey at £2.20 when they have the same thing as PL0995907 (white)
or PL0995807 (black) at £1.30

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-07, Broadback wrote:

[...]

It is if it's just the plug that sits in the socket, and not the whole wart.

Anyway, merchantable quality doesn't apply in this instance, because it WAS supplied with a UK plug.

--
If sex is a pain in the ass, then you're doing it wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/17 17:24, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 08/04/2017 11:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
http://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnecti...-bb45-00001003

A bit pricey at £2.20 when they have the same thing as PL0995907 (white)
or PL0995807 (black) at £1.30

Yup that too.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 15:16:00 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Scott
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 13:22:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Then use the charger in a 13 amp socket elsewhere. It doesn't need
charging each time it's used.

I agree. It should last for days between charges and there is no need
to charge in the bathroom (unless of course the stress and anxiety of
having to transport a heavy toothbrush from one room to another would
be too much, in which case you could always arrange trauma
counselling).

Mine works better when fully charged, and in any case has a euro (or
whatever) two pin plug that fits the shaver socket and is 12 years old
or so.

Mine runs on 2 AA batteries, so much easier. Except I use 1 lithium ion and a blank, which runs the motor faster and cleans my teeth better. Not advisable with everything, I tried doing the same with a Phillips razor and buggered the motor bearings. But the Braun toothbrush has been working fine like that for a year or so.

--
Someday we'll look back on all this and plough into a parked car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 13:13:24 +0100, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Broadback writes:
I have been given a new electric toothbrush. The problem is the the
socket I use is for electric razor while the new toothbrush has a
standard UK plug. Apart from cutting off the plug and joining it to a
razor plug has any one any suggestions please? the plus and toothbrush
charger is moulded.

Is the 13A plug original, or has someone changed it?
If original, the appliance isn't for use in a bathroom
(which would be rather stupid).

Everybody I know uses one in the kitchen, where there are 13A sockets. Although I've seen quite a few come with a 2 pin shaver plug and an adapter so you can use it in either room.

I've stuck an adapter on my bathroom shaver socket (and removed the transformer) so I can plug anything I like in there up to the 5A limit of the lighting circuit.

Maybe it's intended to
be charged outside the bathroom, but uses internal
battery when in use?

I haven't seen one you plug in while using it since 40 years ago. It (a Boots model) plugged into a big battery block containing 6 C cells. The brush was on a curly cord.

--
The average speed of a boy's ejaculation is 28 miles (45.05 km) per hour.
The average speed of a city bus is 25 miles (40.22 km) per hour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Just to make it clear. My toothbrush was supplied with a three pin UK
square plug. I wish to plug it into my shaver socket which is a two pin
round socket. I have no intention of moving the charging of my toothbrush
from the bathroom to elsewhere as that would be inconvenient. So I have
bitten the bullet and cut the plug off the new toothbrush and the plug off
the old one and joined them with a good quality connector. I did want to
avoid this as it negates the guarantee. So fingers crossed that the new
toothbrush does well. Thanks for all the help but the problem is now
solved!

Just to make it clear, I take it the 'Earth' pin was plastic or unconnected?
Will there now be any danger if the live and neutral are reversed?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Just to make it clear. My toothbrush was supplied with a three pin UK
square plug. I wish to plug it into my shaver socket which is a two
pin round socket. I have no intention of moving the charging of my
toothbrush from the bathroom to elsewhere as that would be
inconvenient. So I have bitten the bullet and cut the plug off the
new toothbrush and the plug off the old one and joined them with a
good quality connector. I did want to avoid this as it negates the
guarantee. So fingers crossed that the new toothbrush does well.
Thanks for all the help but the problem is now solved!

Just to make it clear, I take it the 'Earth' pin was plastic or
unconnected? Will there now be any danger if the live and neutral are
reversed?

Main danger is something getting broken with all that sticking out of the
wall.

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 18:05:43 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dave W wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
Just to make it clear. My toothbrush was supplied with a three pin UK
square plug. I wish to plug it into my shaver socket which is a two
pin round socket. I have no intention of moving the charging of my
toothbrush from the bathroom to elsewhere as that would be
inconvenient. So I have bitten the bullet and cut the plug off the
new toothbrush and the plug off the old one and joined them with a
good quality connector. I did want to avoid this as it negates the
guarantee. So fingers crossed that the new toothbrush does well.
Thanks for all the help but the problem is now solved!

Just to make it clear, I take it the 'Earth' pin was plastic or
unconnected? Will there now be any danger if the live and neutral are
reversed?

Main danger is something getting broken with all that sticking out of the
wall.

I adopted a fairly unusual approach. I bought the toothbrush from
Amazon in Germany so it came with a Europlug. I then installed a
Schuko socket in my utility room. The plug fitting is rock solid.