Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default My razor charger (2-pin) won't fit in a continental socket!

I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:52:14 +0200, MM wrote:

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger. It
also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

They're to a proper imperially-measured UK standard, rather than one of
Johnny Foreigner's damnable Not-Invented-Here metricised standards...

The various Europlug standards agree on two round pins measuring 4.8 by
19 mm (0.189 by 0.748 in), spaced 19 mm (0.748 in) apart

But the BS 4573 UK shaver has 0.2 in (5.08 mm) diameter pins 0.625 in
(15.88 mm) long and 0.656 in (16.66 mm) apart.

And our Oral-B toothbrush plugs straight into our perfectly normal UK
shaver socket. "But so do Europlugs", I hear you cry...

"It is more usual to find shaver supply units meeting BS EN 61558-2-5
which include an isolation transformer and usually accept multiple two-
pin plug types including BS 4573, Europlug and Australian."

All c'n'p from...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

So buy an adapter for tuppence-ha'penny. Plenty about.

Where? I can find ~plenty~ of UK 3-pin plug to Euro socket adapters,
but so far no adapter for a UK *shaver* plug to Euro socket. That's
the problem! Amazon do have one listed (actually supplied as a pair),
but one of the comments expressly says the UK shaver plug/Oral-B plug
won't fit it.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

So buy an adapter for tuppence-ha'penny. Plenty about.

Where? I can find ~plenty~ of UK 3-pin plug to Euro socket adapters, but
so far no adapter for a UK *shaver* plug to Euro socket. That's the
problem!

Shaver - UK three-pin - Euro Plug?

Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and wire
a Euro on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , MM
wrote:
I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave
charger (new shaver bought 2 months ago) into a German
socket, even though it has two pins like all German
plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer together
than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do
short-term? The fully charged shaver is good for 17
shaves, but I've a feeling it isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric
toothbrush charger. It also has a 2-pin plug that won't
fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured
to?

I assume you bought it in the UK?
The plug is for use in a standard bathroom 'shaver socket'.
It is not a continental 2 pin plug and to use it abroad you
need a 'continental adaptor' (for uk plugs) but not just
*any* continental adaptor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rau1276fur54ysa/pink.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5jqqpy8l4fpt8j/taped.jpg
You need one of the 'smiley eyes' adaptors, where the holes
for live and neutral have a slight rounded part like the
pink one in the first link.

There are much fancier adapters as well as simple ones like
the second pic which is ONLY for shavers and toothbrush
chargers etc..

John M

--
John Mulrooney

A controlled 'plane crash is usually called a landing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
[...]

At one time there was a so called Europlug (IIRC) 2 pin plug which fitted
(after a fashion) pretty well all the common sockets across Europe.
Including the two pins of a 13 amp socket - if you could open the shutter.
Snag was it fell out of a normal shaver socket too easily.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

The little-known "shaver socket" standard plug that virtually all UK shavers
and electric toothbrushes are fitted with...... They're designed to be
plugged into the shaver sockets in bathrooms, not wall sockets in various
genocidal European countries.

If they fitted into ordinary German sockets, then German appliances like
3-bar heaters and tellies would fit into shaver sockets in bathrooms, and
that's the whole point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

The pared down lightweight three pin adapters CPC sell take the Oral B 2 pin /
shaver plugs

Maybe this

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/9906...0?Ntt=pltrav20

although I have a feeling what I have may be one of these

http://cpc.farnell.com/smj-electrica...?Ntt=pl1153920

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 11:52, MM wrote:
I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

MM

British standard.

Buy a travel adapter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:51:47 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and wire
a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
The little-known "shaver socket" standard plug that virtually all UK
shavers and electric toothbrushes are fitted with...... They're
designed to be plugged into the shaver sockets in bathrooms, not wall
sockets in various genocidal European countries.

Have a close look at a shaver socket. They are usually designed to take
both a round pin plug and a US style flat pin one. You'll see that by the
flats top and bottom.

If they fitted into ordinary German sockets, then German appliances like
3-bar heaters and tellies would fit into shaver sockets in bathrooms,
and that's the whole point.

No - a small pin can fit a large sprung loaded socket. A large pin won't
fit a small hole.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and
wire a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little inline
junction box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:02:20 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little
inline junction box.

wanders off to check anyway
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTZP6I
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:02:20 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little
inline junction box.

wanders off to check anyway
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTZP6I

I wander down to the iron mongers and buy a handful, they're only a Euro
each. (bTicino brand, they seem to be the best make.)

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and
wire a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little inline
junction box.

Better still, wet shave.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
Martin Bonner wrote:

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:51:47 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off
and wire a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250961043974
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271193518493
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300926117677

But doesn't everyone have spare IEC cables with Euro plugs that came
with PC/TV/whatever?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

Try Boots - that's where I got mine (3 piece kit) though it was many
many years ago.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 20130807164917.7637e258@hyperion, Rob Morley
writes
Martin Bonner wrote:

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:51:47 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off
and wire a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250961043974
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271193518493
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300926117677

But doesn't everyone have spare IEC cables with Euro plugs that came
with PC/TV/whatever?

Nah - always chuck em in the bin. Foreign crap.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

The round ones? Pretty much anywhere...

The flat two-pin? Rare, but available:

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MDQ5OTQ...ker_weiss.html

(either crimp-on or solder-on, I guess)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" ] wrote in message
news
In message , MM
writes
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

Or Poundland (or your local equivalent) they sell all kinds of stuff like
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
The little-known "shaver socket" standard plug that virtually all UK
shavers and electric toothbrushes are fitted with...... They're
designed to be plugged into the shaver sockets in bathrooms, not wall
sockets in various genocidal European countries.

Have a close look at a shaver socket. They are usually designed to
take both a round pin plug and a US style flat pin one. You'll see
that by the flats top and bottom.

If they fitted into ordinary German sockets, then German appliances
like 3-bar heaters and tellies would fit into shaver sockets in
bathrooms, and that's the whole point.

No - a small pin can fit a large sprung loaded socket. A large pin
won't fit a small hole.

Stoppit Dave:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 11:52, MM wrote:
I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

I've experienced the same problem but have an adapter like this in my
collection, which does the trick (note the rounded inside edges to the L
& N holes):
http://tinyurl.com/3zns27k (or
http://www.cable-trader.co.uk/images...%20adapter.jpg)
They're readily obtainable.
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 16:23, Tim+ wrote:
Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and
wire a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little inline
junction box.

Better still, wet shave.

Tim

I do wet shave.

With my electric razor which has a UK two pin shaver plug. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:27:28 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Better still, wet shave.

I do wet shave.

With my electric razor which has a UK two pin shaver plug. :-)

I'm just wondering how wet shaving will help get around a toothbrush that
won't charge...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 14:14, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:51:47 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and wire
a Euro on?

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

The local hardware shop or even supermarket usually.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be careful changing the plug - isn't the flex that sort of super flexible
stuff what is tinsell and doesn't easily attach to conventional terminals.
Would it be better to investigate getting a totally different complete flex
- I presume it plugs into the shaver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Remmingtons recent chargers are the same as well, slightly thinner and a
different pitch. It is a new standard, and I notice the other end is now
smaller with only a notch in one side as well which probably means some
circuitry is in the plug now.
No idea why when things work, they have to design a new oe. I bet there is
an adaptor for them though, probably Chinese and lethal.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MM" wrote in message
I've just realised that I can't plug my Philishave charger (new shaver
bought 2 months ago) into a German socket, even though it has two pins
like all German plugs. The charger's pins are ~slightly~ closer
together than a normal German 2-pin plug. What can I do short-term?
The fully charged shaver is good for 17 shaves, but I've a feeling it
isn't fully charged!

By the way, it's the same with my Oral-B electric toothbrush charger.
It also has a 2-pin plug that won't fit in a German socket.

What weird "standard" are these 2-pin plugs manufactured to?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking MM wrote :
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

Assuming the lead can be unplugged from the razor, most can be, just
look for a complete replacement lead with a plug at one end and the
tiny two pin socket at the other end.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

----------------8
Where? I can find ~plenty~ of UK 3-pin plug to Euro socket adapters,
but so far no adapter for a UK *shaver* plug to Euro socket. That's
the problem! Amazon do have one listed (actually supplied as a pair),
but one of the comments expressly says the UK shaver plug/Oral-B plug
won't fit it.

http://allegoric.us/18cjqo5
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...

"bert" ] wrote in message
news
In message , MM
writes
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

+1

All the pound shops around here are stacked out with them - one often has a
pair for 99p although sometimes the second one is for US sockets.

I've got several and my Oral B charger fits them all with no problems.

These days they are always white but the first one I ever got was red - I use
it in hotel bathrooms that don't have dedicated shaver sockets. The colour
attracts the eye and means I never leave it behind by accident ...

A couple of points to watch - some don't have a hole to accommodate the
projecting earth pin in French/Belgian sockets (not important if you don't go
to either country, of course.)

The other point is that some adaptors skimp on the Shuko side contact
earthing - look for the metal strip on the underside that connects to the
other side contact - a much better design.

Not important for razors/toothbrushes but offers better protection if you are
using the same adaptor with a 13A plug on something that needs an earth.

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian writes:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

So buy an adapter for tuppence-ha'penny. Plenty about.

Where? I can find ~plenty~ of UK 3-pin plug to Euro socket adapters, but
so far no adapter for a UK *shaver* plug to Euro socket. That's the
problem!

Shaver - UK three-pin - Euro Plug?

Or (assuming it's not a wallwart) just snip the moulded plug off and wire
a Euro on?

Beware that the moulded 2-pin plug is often a tiny wall-wart nowadays.
My Braun shaver plug feeds 12VDC up the cord to the shaver.
This is probably the case with all waterproof shavers today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:04:39 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:02:20 +0000, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little
inline junction box.

wanders off to check anyway
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTZP6I

Ah. That's a Shuko plug. It has earth connectors. I can get those
at the Bauhaus any time I need them. I meant the smaller two-pin only
plugs like http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LBXX8C (which doesn't have
an earth connector, and might fit in a shaver socket).

Turns out that Amazon actually do those too,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B74UFBM, but £2.20 strikes me as
excessive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:04:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:02:20 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little
inline junction box.

wanders off to check anyway
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTZP6I

And where would I plug that in when I return to the UK?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:23:12 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:16:34 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:

[...]

The blurb says: "Converts 13A plug to continental 2 pin ..." Nothing
about UK 2-pin shaver plugs.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 07:28:37 +0100, Apellation Controlee
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:49:46 +0200, MM wrote:

----------------8
Where? I can find ~plenty~ of UK 3-pin plug to Euro socket adapters,
but so far no adapter for a UK *shaver* plug to Euro socket. That's
the problem! Amazon do have one listed (actually supplied as a pair),
but one of the comments expressly says the UK shaver plug/Oral-B plug
won't fit it.

http://allegoric.us/18cjqo5

Unfortunately, that's one of Amazon's ridiculous Add-on Items where
one first has to order something else as well.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:59:19 +0200, JTM wrote:

There are much fancier adapters as well as simple ones like
the second pic which is ONLY for shavers and toothbrush
chargers etc..

John M

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5jqqpy8l4fpt8j/taped.jpg

Ah, THAT's the one I need! Any idea what its precise name is (or
manufacturer) so I can search for it?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 10:48:38 on
Fri, 9 Aug 2013, MM remarked:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5jqqpy8l4fpt8j/taped.jpg

Ah, THAT's the one I need! Any idea what its precise name is (or
manufacturer) so I can search for it?

I have one very like that, except it's designed to fit a USA (flat pin)
power outlet. I bought it from Radioshack (in person in the USA, to
charge my shaver).

They have a complete set (that's cheaper than the individual one):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ctId=11278753#

I've also seen the USA-Shaver adapters in hotel-foyer shops, so it's
worth looking in stores with "travel gadget" items. (Yes, I know you
want Euro-shaver).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:02:20 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:14:24 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:

Where do you get wire-on Europlugs? I have looked, but can't see any.

shrug So chop a moulded one off something dead, and use a little
inline junction box.

wanders off to check anyway
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DOTZP6I

And where would I plug that in when I return to the UK?

MM

To plug an earthed Schuko (or indeed a 2 pin CEE 7/16 Europlug (Type C)
as Wikipedia calls them) into a UK 13A socket:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...oducts_id=6017
There's a way to do anything and everything!