Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Lorry overtaking ban, M11

"bert" wrote in message
In article , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
Why would any decent driver cause an accident? When an ambulance is
around, everybody stops or slows down. Crashing into someone is almost
impossible.

Drives me up the wall. All these brainless idiots immediately slowing down
when they see an emergency vehicle instead of assessing the traffic and
gauging when they will meet the emergency vehicle or when it will be
behind them and pulling in at the appropriate time.

What frustrates me when I've pulled over to the side of the road or into a
layby is to find that each of the cars behind me sets off as soon as the
ambulance has gone past each one and therefore everyone pulls ahead of me,
instead of letting traffic set off roughly in the same order that it was
before everyone pulled over; this leads to a sort of "first shall be last
and last shall be first" reversal of order of traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:29:47 +0100, bert wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
Well obviously driving onto a pavement full of pedestrians is stupid. But I never suggested that.

You said you drive on the pavement whenever you see an ambulance. You
did not qualify it in any way.

Don't be so pedantic.

--
Wife to husband: "What's your excuse for coming home at this time of night?"
Husband to wife: "Golfing with friends, my dear."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:34:46 +0100, bert wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
Why would any decent driver cause an accident? When an ambulance is around, everybody stops or slows down. Crashing into someone is almost
impossible.

Drives me up the wall. All these brainless idiots immediately slowing
down when they see an emergency vehicle instead of assessing the traffic
and gauging when they will meet the emergency vehicle or when it will be
behind them and pulling in at the appropriate time.

No, that's not what happens. Everyone moves to the side as much as possible and stops. Or if it's a fast road, slows down.

Unless I'm stuck in a queue, I don't have to get out of the way of one behind me, as I drive at least as fast as they do. Now if everyone drove fast instead of obeying mindless speed limits, ambulances wouldn't need to get past anyone.

--
Wife to husband: "What's your excuse for coming home at this time of night?"
Husband to wife: "Golfing with friends, my dear."
Wife to husband: "What? At 2A.M.?!"
Husband to wife: "Yes, We used night clubs."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:57:44 +0100, NY wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

So what? Why do you have to stay in the same order?

--
Men are like bagpipes. You won't get anything unless you blow them first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:35:47 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , bert wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson Sword
writes
Why would any decent driver cause an accident? When an ambulance is around,
everybody stops or slows down. Crashing into someone is almost
impossible.

Drives me up the wall. All these brainless idiots immediately slowing
down when they see an emergency vehicle instead of assessing the traffic
and gauging when they will meet the emergency vehicle or when it will be
behind them and pulling in at the appropriate time.

Twaddle. Everyone should stop. That way the emergency driver sees a
non-moving set of objects and can whizz round each. Otherwise the
driver has to *hope* (and it is only a hope) that people will get out
of the way so he is not constantly speeding up and slowing down, to the
possible detriment of the patient.

Agreed. And everyone stops here (and mounts pavements or verges).

In the US of A everyone pulls over and stops, and you get dinged if you
don't.

Dinged as in "in trouble with the law" or dinged as in "your vehicle gets dented by the ambulance"? I did say they should have bullbars.

--
The biggest difference between sex for money and sex for love is that sex for money usually costs a LOT less.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Twaddle. Everyone should stop. That way the emergency driver sees a
non-moving set of objects and can whizz round each. Otherwise the
driver has to *hope* (and it is only a hope) that people will get out
of the way so he is not constantly speeding up and slowing down, to the
possible detriment of the patient.

Like a lot of things it depends on situation. Stopping on a single
track road if an emergency vehicle comes up behind isn't going to help
its passage, So you have to make progress as swiftly as safety allows
and pull out of the way as soon as you reach a spot where they can
pass.
And stopping just before the brow of a hill or on a blind bend where
the emergency vehicle driver cannot see what may be coming isn't wise
either, they will hardly be able to whizz round in those circumstances
in case something is coming the other so will have to slow right down.
..
Again better to make progress and then pull over or stop where they
can see it is safe pass safely.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Twaddle. Everyone should stop. That way the emergency driver sees a
non-moving set of objects and can whizz round each. Otherwise the
driver has to *hope* (and it is only a hope) that people will get out
of the way so he is not constantly speeding up and slowing down, to the
possible detriment of the patient.

Like a lot of things it depends on situation. Stopping on a single
track road if an emergency vehicle comes up behind isn't going to help
its passage, So you have to make progress as swiftly as safety allows
and pull out of the way as soon as you reach a spot where they can
pass.

If a big ambulance can go x mph, a smaller car can easily do the same.

And stopping just before the brow of a hill or on a blind bend where
the emergency vehicle driver cannot see what may be coming isn't wise
either, they will hardly be able to whizz round in those circumstances
in case something is coming the other so will have to slow right down.
Again better to make progress and then pull over or stop where they
can see it is safe pass safely.

Indeed. But most roads have somewhere you can pull off (even if you make a mess of the grass verge).

--
Yellatio: Really loud oral sex