Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting glazing bars on sash window.

I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?

Position them less clumsily?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:12:34 on Thu, 23 Mar
2017, bm remarked:

I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?

Position them less clumsily?

They are quite loose rotationally, and people knock them. In any event,
I can't educate every single window-opening person to be right 100% of
the time, and it only takes on bump every 5yrs to destroy the look of
the glazing bar.

[ps I just won a side bet that the first response would be like that]
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

[...]

Because it's the mind-numbingly bloody obvious first step?

Second one :- change the catches to ones that don't cause the problem.

Third :- screw them shut

Fourth :- do nothing.

HTH
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
09:48:37 on Thu, 23 Mar 2017, jim remarked:
[...]

So obviously impractical I already discounted it years ago.

Second one :- change the catches to ones that don't cause the problem.

Expensive.

Third :- screw them shut

Need to be opened.

Fourth :- do nothing.

Nope. Now (spring repainting season) is the time to do *something*.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Ok, stiffen them up, a biff with a hammer on the rivet or fit nut (or tapped
hole)/bolt/crinkle washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:49:42 on Thu, 23 Mar
2017, bm remarked:

Position them less clumsily?

They are quite loose rotationally, and people knock them. In any event, I
can't educate every single window-opening person to be right 100% of the
time, and it only takes on bump every 5yrs to destroy the look of the
glazing bar.

[ps I just won a side bet that the first response would be like that]

Ok, stiffen them up, a biff with a hammer on the rivet or fit nut (or tapped
hole)/bolt/crinkle washer.

That won't stop people rotating them anyway.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry writes:

I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg
http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-wind...l-pattern.html

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:25:18 on Thu, 23
Mar 2017, Jon Fairbairn remarked:

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg
http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-wind...l-pattern.html

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 09:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:25:18 on Thu, 23
Mar 2017, Jon Fairbairn remarked:

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg
http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-wind...l-pattern.html

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.

You might want to avoid "london" prices!

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/426493

or if you don't need the screw bit:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/872708

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
12:07:02 on Thu, 23 Mar 2017, John Rumm
remarked:
You might want to avoid "london" prices!

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...nery_hardware/
vertical_sash_window_hardware/2530/locking_screw_pattern_fastener/426493

I wonder why they show the further part almost vertical, when it would
need to be fixed horizontal? And of course, when you close the window if
the screw part isn't exactly vertical it'll take off a bit of external
glazing bar on the outside of the lower window this time.

or if you don't need the screw bit:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...nery_hardware/
vertical_sash_window_hardware/803/14mm_narrow_locking_fastener/872708

Those are the ones I have now, where the crescent bit planes off chunks
of the inside of the upper window's glazing bars if you aren't careful.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 12:07:04 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/03/2017 09:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:25:18 on Thu, 23
Mar 2017, Jon Fairbairn remarked:

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg
http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-wind...l-pattern.html

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.

You might want to avoid "london" prices!

But the original link said they were for Brighton sash windows not London ;-)

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/426493

or if you don't need the screw bit:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/872708

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.

You might want to avoid "london" prices!

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/426493

Ones touched by the ugly stick are cheaper

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/window_and_joinery_hardware/vertical_sash_window_hardware/12758/budget_screw_pattern_sash_fastener/206400

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 15:03:40 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.

You might want to avoid "london" prices!

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/p...astener/426493

Ones touched by the ugly stick are cheaper

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/window_and_joinery_hardware/vertical_sash_window_hardware/12758/budget_screw_pattern_sash_fastener/206400

Friend just brought some from here.

https://www.mightonproducts.com/prod...sash-fasteners
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry writes:

In message , at
09:25:18 on Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Jon Fairbairn
remarked:

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

You can get spring-loaded screw type sash catches, eg
http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sash-wind...l-pattern.html

At £200 a sash, that's well, err, out of the window.

Er, merely an example.

https://www.gjohns.co.uk/spring-load...in-chrome.html

better? You do have to make sure the spring loaded part is
mounted far enough from the glass that it doesnt smash the
window when released :-P

--
Jón Fairbairn

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 23/03/17 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Replace the Fitch catch with a Brighton Catch

https://www.mightonproducts.com/prod...hton-fasteners

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 21:01:43 on Thu, 23 Mar
2017, DJC remarked:

Replace the Fitch catch with a Brighton Catch

https://www.mightonproducts.com/prod...hton-fasteners

The "gun barrel" part is going to end up hinging so it is pointing
upwards, then travelling downwards with the window frame to which it is
attached.

What will prevent it bumping on the exterior glazing bars of the lower
window on the way down, and taking chunks out of them on the way back
up?

The window frames aren't deep enough to rotate the "gun barrel" a whole
180 degrees to point towards the garden.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 24/03/17 07:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:01:43 on Thu, 23 Mar
2017, DJC remarked:

Replace the Fitch catch with a Brighton Catch

https://www.mightonproducts.com/prod...hton-fasteners

The "gun barrel" part is going to end up hinging so it is pointing
upwards, then travelling downwards with the window frame to which it is
attached.

What will prevent it bumping on the exterior glazing bars of the lower
window on the way down, and taking chunks out of them on the way back up?

The window frames aren't deep enough to rotate the "gun barrel" a whole
180 degrees to point towards the garden.

They are (in my experience) sprung so the screw part pops upright when
released.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 20:49:33 on Fri, 24 Mar
2017, DJC remarked:
Replace the Fitch catch with a Brighton Catch

https://www.mightonproducts.com/prod...hton-fasteners

The "gun barrel" part is going to end up hinging so it is pointing
upwards, then travelling downwards with the window frame to which it is
attached.

What will prevent it bumping on the exterior glazing bars of the lower
window on the way down, and taking chunks out of them on the way back up?

The window frames aren't deep enough to rotate the "gun barrel" a whole
180 degrees to point towards the garden.

They are (in my experience) sprung so the screw part pops upright when
released.

OK, I might get one to experiment with.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?

knock in a nail to act as an end stop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 23/03/2017 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?

knock in a nail to act as an end stop.

Fit upvc or brick up windows.

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 08:14:23 on Fri, 24
Mar 2017, alan_m remarked:
I've got several sash windows divided into multiple pane with glazing
bars. The problem is they have rotating catches, which if clumsily
positioned act as a plane and shear off the top few mm of any glazing
bar they encounter.

http://franchises.theenglishglasshou...ws/files/Sash-
window-brushed-sashcatch-male.jpg

One solution would be a different catch, or perhaps more simply some
kind of robust sculpted cover for the glazing bar that the catch would
bounce off instead.

Comments?

knock in a nail to act as an end stop.

Then the window would only half-open.
--
Roland Perry

Secondary glazing for sash windows Rob Graham UK diy 9 October 11th 16 12:56 PM
Glazing bars for shed Chris Green UK diy 0 July 18th 16 12:22 PM
Conservatory glazing bars GMM UK diy 5 May 2nd 12 08:02 PM
Removing conservatory roof glazing bars.. gilli UK diy 1 August 3rd 10 07:36 AM
Fitting glass with glazing bars - what sealer to use, if any? [email protected] UK diy 3 January 19th 05 06:17 PM