Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strong magnets and handling of same

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 11:10:00 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

I know people with genital piercings H&S warning should be supplied with such magnets the last ones I brought did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Bugger - although I was expecting a photo of a large and painful blood
blister :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Been there, got the tee shirt, had to reorder

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 11:10:00 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

Cheers

Dave R

---

If children swallow more then one,the intestine can be pierced.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4138482.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 11:10:00 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

I know people with genital piercings H&S warning should be supplied with such magnets the last ones I brought did.

You don't need piercings.
I was in a client's office, and they had some large spherical rare
earth magnets about 30mm diameter holding notices on a metal notice
board. They were hard to pull off the board. I was playing with one,
and one of their staff told me to be careful. A few months before,
someone had put one in each trouser pocket, at which point they
smashed together very hard, and he had to be rushed to hospital in
agony.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

(Andrew Gabriel) Wrote in message:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
[...]

Snip

Why didn't they roll down the board, given they're spherical &
presumably the board vertical?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 22:16, jim wrote:

You don't need piercings.
I was in a client's office, and they had some large spherical rare
earth magnets about 30mm diameter holding notices on a metal notice
board. They were hard to pull off the board.

Snip

Why didn't they roll down the board, given they're spherical &
presumably the board vertical?

The magnetic field won't be spherical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar 2017 11:09:57 GMT, David wrote:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were about
3"x¼" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing cabinet
and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not blood
blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to lift off.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 9:38:48 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
[...]

the most dangerous is if children swallow them. They then pull together inside and shut of circulation to the tissues that are in between.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 8:52:34 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
On 22 Mar 2017 11:09:57 GMT, David wrote:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were about
3"xź" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing cabinet
and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not blood
blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to lift off.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

An interesting thing to do is to drop a one down the inside of a copper tube.

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what will happen.)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 21:38:48 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
[...]

Now that is amusing, you know he could be into a fetish and could well have enjoyed the experience. ;-)
When a friend asked me in the mid 90s "so what weird stuff is on this world wide web, so I downloaded a clip of a women in stiletoes walking on a mans ********, he was loving it, I do find this sort of thimg difficult to understand but as long as he's only hurting himnself I wouldn't ban his fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 12:10, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

There was a case a few years ago of a group of men nailing their cocks
to a plank, but they were prosecuted despite arguing that it was "their
cocks, their nails, their plank".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...K/Hymer/Hymer%

20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the
sliding curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice
package as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart
because the washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you
have slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were
about 3"xź" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing
cabinet and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not
blood blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to
lift off.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway

An interesting thing to do is to drop a one down the inside of a copper
tube.

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what will happen.)

Electrifying?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 15:57, Max Demian wrote:

There was a case a few years ago of a group of men nailing their cocks
to a plank, but they were prosecuted despite arguing that it was "their
cocks, their nails, their plank".

Wasn't it because they were nailing each others, not their own?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Once at CERN I had the chance to be inside a large electro-magnet with
the power on. About the size of a small room inside, it used 2MW DC.
You had to remove anything with metal in it - watch, belt, etc. Powered
up, it was then interesting to do things like take a solid alloy
cylinder about the size of a tin of baked beans, and support one side
of the bottom with a finger, and watch it rotate as if in almost zero
gravity. Once off your finger it then fell in the normal way.

If it had been AC that powered the magnet, you'd get induced eddy currents
and the "tin can" would glow red hot - now that would have been impressive.

I'd be no good in an AC magnet of that size because I had a metal stent
fitted in one of my heart arteries after a heart attack. A DC magnet would
be fine as long as the current was increased slowly rather than instant-on,
because stents are non-magnetic. Likewise presumably for metal hip joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

PS: I haven't seen "same" (in the thread title) used as a pronoun, where I'd
have used "them", since I was a lad and went to the pantomime at the City
Varieties in Leeds. The programme said "if any lady patrons are wearing
large hats, will they kindly remove same" which I thought looked archaic -
like "all tickets must be shewn" (instead of "shown").- even in the 1960s,
never mind the 2010s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave writes:
[...]

Because they have north and south poles, and the field is strongest at
this point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/23/2017 9:30 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , David
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 02:45:43 -0700, RobertL wrote:

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 8:52:34 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
On 22 Mar 2017 11:09:57 GMT, David wrote:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...K/Hymer/Hymer%

20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg
Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the
sliding curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.
They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice
package as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart
because the washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.
Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just
after you
have slid two strong magnets apart.
Obviously going to be one of those days.
T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were
about 3"x?" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing
cabinet and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not
blood blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to
lift off.

An interesting thing to do is to drop a one down the inside of a copper
tube.

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what will happen.)

Electrifying?

I'm guessing it will drop very slowly.

Once at CERN I had the chance to be inside a large electro-magnet with
the power on. About the size of a small room inside, it used 2MW DC.
You had to remove anything with metal in it - watch, belt, etc. Powered
up, it was then interesting to do things like take a solid ally
cylinder about the size of a tin of baked beans, and support one side
of the bottom with a finger, and watch it rotate as if in almost zero
gravity. Once off your finger it then fell in the normal way.

ICBA to search Youtube, but there are videos out there showing lumps of
copper being dropped down the axis of a hollow vertical strong
electromagnet, and falling very slowly because of eddy current "braking".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 16:15, Huge wrote:
On 2017-03-23, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Brown

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. The "Spanner case".

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 20:48, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/03/2017 15:57, Max Demian wrote:

There was a case a few years ago of a group of men nailing their cocks
to a plank, but they were prosecuted despite arguing that it was "their
cocks, their nails, their plank".

Wasn't it because they were nailing each others, not their own?

As is usual, accounts are coy about the details.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:58:29 +0000, NY wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Blame exposure to books like "Comic and Curious Verse" in my childhood and
youth.

For example:

"Which I wish to remark,
And my language is plain,
That for ways that are dark
And for tricks that are vain,
The heathen Chinee is peculiar,
Which the same I would rise to explain."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heathen_Chinee gives some explanation
of the poem, which set out to satirise racism but was instead taken
seriously by many.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/roughingit/map/chiharte.html for one
version of the full text. Worth a read IMHO.

I have read a lot of stuff in my time.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Huge Wrote in message:
On 2017-03-23, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

A mere 18minutes to post the link?!

And there's you pretending about buying a new "dremel" too ... :-)
? trouble with the titanium cock ring old chap?

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

RobertL Wrote in message:
On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 8:52:34 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
On 22 Mar 2017 11:09:57 GMT, David wrote:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/Hymer%20Nova
%20580/20170322_104555.jpg

Just received a bunch of strong magnets supposedly for fixing the sliding
curtain/door. Wrong part as it happens, but anyway.

They came all stuck together in an ungainly clump (not in a nice package
as they usually do) and were a real ******* to slide apart because the
washers and the plastic bags had become entangled.

Photo as a reminder of what happens if your grip slips just after you have
slid two strong magnets apart.

Obviously going to be one of those days.

T work we had some 'pancake' motors about 4" dia. The magnets were about
3"x?" and f'ing strong. I went to put one on the side of a filing cabinet
and got little pinches on thumb and 2 fingers, fortunately not blood
blisters. The magnet had to be slid off as it was too thin to lift off.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

An interesting thing to do is to drop a one down the inside of a copper tube.

(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what will happen.)

4inch dia magnet down a copper tube
? That's some tube...

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

Or more closely related, the other way around - strong magnet down
copper tube. Has to be a strong one mind...
--
Jim K

Magnets GMM[_3_] UK diy 39 November 21st 14 06:05 PM
Magnets R D S[_2_] UK diy 6 April 1st 14 08:10 PM
Uses for strong (rare earth) magnets? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 35 December 29th 11 06:55 PM
Sticky front door with strong magnets john brook[_2_] UK diy 18 April 15th 11 04:13 PM
Magnets from old PCs? Jay Pique Woodworking 22 October 14th 05 05:14 PM