Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Uses for strong (rare earth) magnets?

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
wrote
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

Store it next to the incoming water pipe and you will never have trouble
with limescale again

Fridge magnet.

Use it to magnetise all of your screwdrivers.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 12:22 p.m., Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

TIA!

You could attach it to the wall in your garage, and hang your tools from it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 12:22 p.m., Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal
objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

TIA!

Place it in your pocket when visiting an amusement arcade, thus ensuring
a worthwhile return on the 'coin cascade' type con machines.:-)

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

Fix it to the front of your car. Then drive close behind a bus and
you'll be able to turn your engine off and save petrol.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:22:04 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas -

Re-wrap and give to /your/ least favourite relative/friend next
Christmas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 11:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Use it for a totally frictionless bearing. ie, levitation. But you
need two of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfZUmbxzUM4

Or lots of tricks.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...72l609l2.3l5l0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-29, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing that worries me is who on earth would buy such a thing for someone
with no use for it. Also if its really that powerful how the heck do they
get the marine compass to still work with it on board?

Always store the magnet in the same place, and re-swing the compass.

Justin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 11:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!

Let us know when it injures someone. The pinch forces off those things
can be evil.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Wiping old cassette tapes for passing onto talking newspapers with no fear
of any incriminating evidence remaining?

Find someone with a well who has lost something magnetic
Suggest to someone that it cures some ailment and flog it to them.
Brian

Or putting on your cars fuel line or boiler gas pipe and you use half as
much fuel. Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/11 23:22, Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

TIA!

Wiping crashed hard drives

--
zaax
My weather: http://tinyurl.com/ch6krz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:33:08 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

Fix it to the front of your car. Then drive close behind a bus and
you'll be able to turn your engine off and save petrol.

or fix it in front of the nearside front wheel 1/2" above the road and
pick up nails etc before they cause a puncture.

Had a laugh once in the days when I lived on a boat, a mate purchased
one attached a line and hurled into the oggin but upon retrieving
found the darn thing had a come apart . The chandler was close so went
with the line and attachment eye and discussed getting money back or
replacement. Bit of a smarmy git,said he wouldn't unless we had more
bits implying we had just removed the eye and were trying it on.
Well I had already owned one and more in hope than expectation hurled
in the same area several times, amazingly we did retrieve one side
pole and the magnet of my mates still with the *******s price label
attached . It was covered with black ooze that stuck like grease and
stunk. And that was exactly how it was laid on his shiny glass and
stainless display counter driving some compasses crazy inside while
we discussed our refund. It was a short discussion in our favour.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

Visit your local marina and offer to pick up car keys etc that folk
drop in the canal.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 29, 11:06*am, NT wrote:
On Dec 28, 11:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!

Let us know when it injures someone. The pinch forces off those things
can be evil.

NT

For the sake of one more pointless sugestion... build a huge moving
iron subwoofer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

You can come dangle it down my well to see if there is any interesting steel
down there.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:51:38 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:06*am, NT wrote:
On Dec 28, 11:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!

Let us know when it injures someone. The pinch forces off those things
can be evil.

NT

For the sake of one more pointless sugestion... build a huge moving
iron subwoofer.

K3wl! And I think you might just find a suitable design by watching
the first few scenes of 'Back to the Future.'

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
writes
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

Used to have one of those, most improbable thing recovered with it was a
tree.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 29, 11:06 am, NT wrote:

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be
put.

Dig a hole in the road, put the magnet in the hole mounted on a crank
connected to a generator.
Use that to charge an electric car for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:06*am, NT wrote:
On Dec 28, 11:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might be put.

TIA!

Let us know when it injures someone. The pinch forces off those things
can be evil.

NT

For the sake of one more pointless sugestion... build a huge moving
iron subwoofer.

K3wl! And I think you might just find a suitable design by watching
the first few scenes of 'Back to the Future.'

Nick

I think there was one of those under my seat when I wached
"Earthquake" (1974)
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 19:40, Adrian Simpson wrote:
Used to have one of those, most improbable thing recovered with it was a
tree.

Go on, explain. You know you want to.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 03:33, Bill Wright wrote:

I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

Fix it to the front of your car. Then drive close behind a bus and
you'll be able to turn your engine off and save petrol.

Bill

LOL!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 03:18, Jim White wrote:
On 29/12/2011 12:22 p.m., Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal
objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

TIA!

Place it in your pocket when visiting an amusement arcade, thus ensuring
a worthwhile return on the 'coin cascade' type con machines.:-)

It's a bit heavy to carry in a pocket!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 09:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
The thing that worries me is who on earth would buy such a thing for someone
with no use for it. Also if its really that powerful how the heck do they
get the marine compass to still work with it on board?

Brian

The destructions tell you to keep compasses a reasonable[1] distance
away from it.

[1] Something like a couple of metres, I think - haven't currently got
it to hand, so can't check
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 19:44, dennis@home wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:06 am, NT wrote:

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

Dig a hole in the road, put the magnet in the hole mounted on a crank
connected to a generator.
Use that to charge an electric car for free.

So that it rotates the generator when a car passes over? You'd need a
busier road than mine for that to work!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

On Dec 29, 11:06 am, NT wrote:

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

Dig a hole in the road, put the magnet in the hole mounted on a crank
connected to a generator.
Use that to charge an electric car for free.

I have a vision of a cyclist being held to the spot by your magnet :-(

--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
wrote
The destructions tell you to keep compasses a reasonable[1] distance
away from it.

[1] Something like a couple of metres, I think - haven't currently got
it to hand, so can't check

Keep away from plastic cards with a magnetic strip, although chip and
pin should be OK.
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:44:42 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , Roger Mills
wrote
The destructions tell you to keep compasses a reasonable[1] distance
away from it.

[1] Something like a couple of metres, I think - haven't currently got
it to hand, so can't check

Keep away from plastic cards with a magnetic strip, although chip and
pin should be OK.

Note to myself:
Don't put my mag-stripe car park ticket in my shirt pocket next to my
Blackberry. There is a magnet in the leather case.
On two occasions up to now I have been delayed while it was sorted.

OK, I didn't have to pay, but that wasn't my intention.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:18:14 GMT, Jim White
wrote:

On 29/12/2011 12:22 p.m., Roger Mills wrote:
I've been given a strong magnet for Christmas - apparently purchased
from a chandlery and aimed at people who need to recover metal
objects
weighing up to 60Kg from the bottom of the sea.

Since I'm unlikely ever to need to use it for that purpose, I'd be
interested in any suggestions for alternative uses to which it might
be put.

TIA!

I've still got one of those from my days as a narrow boater. Bought it
for the kids to use for fishing for dropped sluice gate handles/keys
around the canal lock gates. Amazing how many get dropped into the
lock, the kids found enough to sell on and suplement their pocket
money somewhat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
writes
On 29/12/2011 19:40, Adrian Simpson wrote:
Used to have one of those, most improbable thing recovered with it was a
tree.

Go on, explain. You know you want to.

Do I want to explain ?, can I explain ?

Like several others on this thread, we used to use it whilst boating on
our wonderful canal network. We recovered a variety of items with it,
apart from the usual dropped windlasses, odd objects included a road
sign (the temporary sort that get put out), I think it was too far gone
to work out what it was supposed to say, and a stainless steel knife
(which I thought were supposed to be non-magnetic). As for the tree, I
think (we are talking late 70s early 80s) the weight of the magnet
carried it through the submerged bit of tree, but when we pulled it back
up, the magnet caught under a branch, acting more like a grapnel.

For several years, my father had a chandlers, for much of that time, we
had one on display holding a 56lb weight. The weight was suspended
about an inch off the floor (just in case it came loose). No tricks,
apart from giving the weight a quick rub over with a wire brush just
before it was attached.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Iron coins? They'd be a bit rusty by now.

All our 'coppers' have been copper-plated steel rather than bronze for
~20 years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2011 11:56 a.m., Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

Iron coins? They'd be a bit rusty by now.

All our 'coppers' have been copper-plated steel rather than bronze for
~20 years

I didn't know that. In fact my ignorance extends to our own currency
(NZ) - I just discovered that our 10c, 20c and 50c coins have also been
plated steel since July 2006. The $1 and $2 coins are aluminium-bronze.

Junior Member

Hang it by your front door and use it as a magnetic key rack. Might mot get them off again though.